News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

HERE IS THE POLL ON GRID POSS.

Started by GAMEDIC, July 19, 2002, 06:46:50 AM

tcchin

Dave,

Are you suggesting using the class-specific Performance Index instead of overall or class points as a basis for determining grid positions?

dave333

I kinda like entry order right now.  It gives me a shot a gridding in front if I just get off my lazy butt and register earlier.  

I would really like to see gridding based upon fastest times from a friday practice used first and then "day of" practices, then your class specific performance index, then registration order.  Sounds like a lot of work to me...

THE_D.O.C.

Quoteso a racer who is slower but has more points by simply participating in more races gets gridded in front?  Nope.  Doesn't work for me.  :P

surely you weren't serious?!? you would be gridded by your points in each class.  ::)

r6_philly

That's right, grid by CLASS points, not TOTAL points.

although someone who attend every race weekend would more likely to have more points, but finishing in the front awards more points. Thats why the point scale is staggered. 65 for first, and only 41 for 10th etc.

And also REMEMBER: ROC is grided by class points in the season. Does that mean people can buy national championship by attending every race weekend? Maybe, but that is an award for consistency.

I think the most important thing about gridding is I want to be in the first 5 rows (first wave). That is 21 spots. I think most of the contenders in any of the race weekends are higher than 21st in the class point standings.

Look at the class point standings, how many people who are tp 15 in each class have a less than 500 performance index? Not too many, so most people with more points have earned so by finish top 15, rather than attending events.

Look at me, I finish around 15th every race this season, with some better and worse finishes. I missed 2 races out of the first 6, and I am listed in top 15 in every classes I race in. To grid me 15th I think is fair. Because not one person have a lower performance index infront of me.

GAMEDIC

Ok i just feel like typing :-)...R6 i'm gonna pick on you..lol...only cause you were the last one to post here.. :-)...ok:
Say R6 and I are #1 and #2 in points and he leads me by..hmmm 20 points and the next race is worth 30 for 1st...now he has some money peoblems and is not able to reg. till like the day before the race. now he should not have to start way back when he is running for the points he should be up there with me racing for points...if i am going to beat him it is going to be because i won on the track...not because i had more money than him that month...that is not racing....ok...sorry just had to say that...lol

Super Dave

Out in the Mid-West, there are guys that enter ALL of there classes in January.  They can consistently be in the way, and they can consistently keep toward the front even when loosing time.  How far back can they go?

Points would be the most reasonable way.  Make the grids by points.  The updated points are usually available by CCS workers.  However, pre entries have been lost or sent to the wrong place.  Then you get that fixed by having a guy tossed into front row creating a safety issue.
Super Dave

GAMEDIC

You said it...hey and i'm one of them....i just started and i don't need to be on the front row..i'll slow everyone down...that BEST way to do it would be with qualifing but they will never have time for that

r6_philly

since I was "picked" on lol earlier, here is a real scenario.

I was at summit point racing. registered 17 days ahead of race. showed up and found myself on the 8th row.

I got a great start, and caught 1st wave by turn 3. spent 4 laps to get to 12th. Then I got behind the guy who started on pole, but slower than the faster guys. I could not make a safe pass and was behind for the rest of the race and end up 12th.

I don't have the experience and guts necessary to make a pass easily. so grid position makes a difference. I ride well on a clear track, and I don't want to risk anyone(including myself) by forcing a pass.

I run the same laptime as my buddy does who is always in the top 5 and even won his first race that weekend (congrats :D). but I can't even race him (its always fun) because I am so far back. He ended up winning by the whole straight.

Bottom line is, we should be able to race and win from any positions if the race is long enough (I don't care if I start GTU in second wave). But for safety concerns it is better to grid by ability and laptime. Assume  you will aways finish in the top 20 if you are one of the faster guys, the the 1st wave would be series regulars.

Otherwise a guy who just took the race school in july and didn't even get in a race, can register now for Oct. and be gridded on the 4th row. Be in the middle of the 1st wave packing into turn 1. that is not something I want to think about. I was a part of such a pile up before... and have my knee to thank for it.

Right now there is no incentive for me to run the rest of the season. I still havent registered for the last 2 races, I am no where near the top of the standings, and I don't have the bike to compete at Daytona. I may have to wait til next year to try again, and save the money to register in Jan.

sdiver68

I agree with gridding by points by class, as i stated in the other thread.  And I am saying that having the ability to pre-enter all races in January, because I feel by points is fairer regardless of anyones upfront entry $ situation.  

R6_philly - your incentive to race should be to get better!  The only way is with more track time.  Nothing for nothing, but I entered this season not caring about anything but learning and getting better.  Period.  As you get better, you will be able to easily pass that 10th place guy, then better still the 5th plac guy, etc...

Granted, there are certain tracks where its harder to pass than others, but that is also part of the learning curve :)
MCRA Race School Instructor

r6_philly

QuoteR6_philly - your incentive to race should be to get better!  The only way is with more track time.  Nothing for nothing, but I entered this season not caring about anything but learning and getting better.  Period.  As you get better, you will be able to easily pass that 10th place guy, then better still the 5th plac guy, etc...

I was thinking about that when I was typing it. But here is how it goes: I am a control rider for Team Pro-Motion. So between paying $300 + expenses to go to a race and get 3 hours of track time, or go to as many trackdays as I can for just my expenses, plus getting as much as track time as I want, it becomes an issue.

And I can learn more, and learn fast at track days because there are faster guys there usually than my AM racer buddies.

I go to races to compete(because I don't do it at trackdays) not for tracktime.

GAMEDIC

OVER 500 views and onlt about 50 votes???? come on people...lol vote