Which SUV

Started by TZDeSioux, October 10, 2003, 12:47:24 PM

TZDeSioux

QuoteWhat do you do for a living?  Crack dealer?   :o

I'm a dance choreographer.  :)

RC51Racer

I think that I'll stick with the '02 Dodge 2500 with the 6 speed and Cummin turbo diesel.  ;)

Pulls great and still gets good milage.

Super Dave

QuoteI'd get the van myself if it weren't that Ford doesn't offer a van with a diesel and 4-wheel drive. I gotta have 4wd. A diesel van with 4wd would be the best of all worlds. You can fit bikes in it without hauling a trailer. You can unload and sleep in it. And you can still tow a BIG trailer with it, if you want to.

- Stu

Whoa, Stu....

Ford has been offering Quigley conversions for some time.  You can have a 4x4 van from Ford.  You just have to have a dealer that cares enough to get it figured out.  

The diesels in vans are not the same diesels as in trucks.  You loose a good amout of power because you can't put an intercooler on them...no room.  They will have the 6.0 and the cool trans in them though.

Super Chips Micro Tuners cost about $350 on the internet for the International motors that Ford uses...Power Strokes.  I have one for my '96 bus.  I have two selections.  The first one adds about 100 ft lbs of torque and changes all the shift points.  Second one adds more, but you'll want an EGT gauge and you will loose the mileage gain from the first upgrade.  The new Micro Turners now have three "maps".  
Super Dave

diesel748

Superduck taught Wade Robinson all his moves.

Mark Bernard

QuoteMark B, thanks for the offer but I think I'll be staying away from any SUV. Maybe a used van is ideal since my whole race package is so small and light.

No problem. Let me know if you change your mind. It's good for all new Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehichle. Good luck on your hunt! Mark B.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

StuartV666

QuoteWhoa, Stu....

Ford has been offering Quigley conversions for some time.  You can have a 4x4 van from Ford.  You just have to have a dealer that cares enough to get it figured out.  

[snip]

Super Chips Micro Tuners cost about $350 on the internet for the International motors that Ford uses...Power Strokes.  I have one for my '96 bus.  I have two selections.  The first one adds about 100 ft lbs of torque and changes all the shift points.  Second one adds more, but you'll want an EGT gauge and you will loose the mileage gain from the first upgrade.  The new Micro Turners now have three "maps".  

What's a Quigley conversion? I was basing my statements on info from Ford's website and Edmund's. Neither of them lists any Ford vans (except maybe an E150 all-wheel drive?) that have a 4x4 option. At least not in the models that have the diesel option.

I didn't realize that the 6.0 PSD that is finally being offered in the E350 was rated for less power than the F-series version. I thought I read a brochure that said it was the same. Hmmm.... I don't think I'd go for the van option if it wasn't just as much HP/torque as the F-series. And a tranny as good as the TorqShift, too.

As for SuperChips, they still don't have a module for the 6.0 (AFAIK). Even if they did, I really like the idea of the Quadzilla (and BullyDog and others) module that has 4 different power levels, which you can switch between on the fly. Towing today? Switch to the +60 HP mode. Commuting to work? Switch to the +90 mode. Sitting next to a Mustang at a light? Switch to the +120 mode. None of that unloading/reloading programs stuff like you have with the SCMT.

KBOlsen

Huh?  You guys are scaring me with all that techno-speek again, but it sure is educational!   ;D

We started out with a '95 Ford E250 with a V8.  Then we got the 14' trailer.  Thus far, it's worked out well... pulls fine and still manages about 10 mpg.  Having a van beats a pickup or SUV all to snot  for the additional carrying capacity... but next time I sure wouldn't mind going the "short bus" route a'la Super Dave (or the Lonny-sized version!)
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Dawn

Motor Home with the V-10 (deisel would have been better, but not available in our price range).

As for a car....  91 Buick Park Ave 4 door, 28-29 mpg, 4 doors, leather, concert sound system, dynaride, power everything.  $1800.00

Purchased in March, $0.00 in vested

Dawn   :)

Super Dave

Just got a '90 Sable myself.  It's great.

Back to PSD.  The van WILL have the new trans with the 6.0.  Yes, the motor isn't the same.  Like I said no room.  Really, it just looses the intercooler and the extra boost ability that the motor has because of that.

Still, I think I'm probably up at 500 ft lbs of torque with the extra 100 from the micro tuner.

I think the trick with just flipping a switch is that is still isn't that simple.  When you do move up to some of those extra high HP settings, you will need an EGT gauge (Exhaust Gas Temperature) and probably a bigger exhuast than stock to actually move the mixture.  Otherwise, you'll just push a lot of smoke and you can completely trash the turbo.

Here's a link to a pic of a well mod-ed E350 4x4 with the Quigley conversion.  That's the company name of who does it for Ford.  You've got to ask the dealer, and they've got to care to find out.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/27554105/48919172NwAznu

If I were to make a big mod to my van, next would be propane injection.  That's easy and cleaner running in addition to bringing the EGT's down.  Probably worth another 100HP right there.
Super Dave

Bernie

Quote 91 Buick Park Ave 4 door, 28-29 mpg, 4 doors, leather, concert sound system, dynaride, power everything.  $1800.00

Purchased in March, $0.00 in vested

Dawn   :)

Happiness is no stinking car payment.  Argh, I've got two. :'(  At least one of them is for an 03 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax ;D

TZDeSioux

Large car payments build character.  ::)

KBOlsen

Bah!  Folks already think we're characters.  What we need is more time at the track!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?