New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Which SUV

Started by TZDeSioux, October 10, 2003, 12:47:24 PM

skara

3/4 ton suburban with 6.0L
or better yet yukon  xl   denali

Zac

If I could have the SUV of my choice it would be a Unimog.  Does that count?

-z.

GSXR RACER MIKE

You asked, so here you go!

Towing Basics: The longer the wheel base of your tow vehicle, the more control you have over your trailer. Common mistake is to purchase something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V-8 thinking that it will have plenty of power to pull a decent sized enclosed trailer or something else heavy. Though the engine MAY do it, the vehicle is a uni-body and doesn't have a full frame, and the wheel base is quite short and an enclosed trailer much longer than that vehicle will be questionably safe at highway speed. Towing packages including HD trans cooler, radiator, and oil coolers are a must! Some vehicles are also very susceptible to the 'T' connectors often times used to splice into the vehicles lighting system for trailer plugs, so independent wiring should be used that doesn't tie into the factory lighting system (unless thru relays or a factory installed plug).

I personally own an '02 Ford F-250 Crewcab shortbed Turbo-Diesel, previously a '95 GMC 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454, and pull a 26' V-nose enclosed car hauler (4500 lbs. empty). Diesels by far are the way to go if you will be towing often and for distance. They do have their inconveniences though, including more limited fuel availability, hard starting in the winter if engine block heater wasn't plugged in all night long, and the noise and smell too. On the plus side they get better fuel milage than gas engines of similar power and pull trailers great. All of the "Big 3's" Diesel trucks are 3/4 or 1 ton and come with good transmissions and drivetrains built to tow well, with the GM Alison transmission being the best. The new Ford 6.0 Diesel engine is questionable and it would be better to find an early '03 or previous 7.3 Diesel engine if looking at Ford. The new Ford 6.0 and GM Duramax Diesels are very quite for Diesels, but at the cost of some power to the rear wheels in real world applications. The Dodge Diesel is know for good power, but is definately the LOUDEST. The Ford 7.3 Turbo-Diesel is a very widely accepted good package.

If going with a lighter duty 1/2 ton truck you need to be aware of several important things. Using GM as an example, you can get a pick-up, a van, or an SUV as a 1/2 ton vehicle. These same vehicles will also offer a 3/4 or 1 ton version and/or HD version which will be much better suited for the job of towing, but at the cost of how smooth it rides. The transmissions on the 1/2 tons (4L60E) are definately the weak link in the chain. This trans was used in many passenger vehicles also and is notorious for loosing Overdrive, especially if towing in OD. Unless you are towing a smaller enclosed trailer or lower weight, do not use OD on a 1/2 ton while towing! Another issue is tongue weight of the trailer when loaded, 1/2 tons will be dragging butt alot easier if tongue loaded. I think we've all seen an SUV pulling a camper trailer before with the rear bumper of the truck barely off the ground! One option is to purchase a weight distribution hitch to counter act that sagging problem, just make sure ahead of time that it will work with your trailer type.

I am of the mind-set that overkill will most likely NOT leave you stranded somewhere. Buying a vehicle that says it will just be able to tow your application is really risking it, I wouldn't get into that upper 1/4 of the tow capacity myself, that's just asking for stuff to fail on you.

Heavier applications: 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel with towing package. Whether an SUV or longer pick-up (such as a Crewcab) really depends on how many people you will be carrying and if you need a pick-up bed for a 5th wheel or hauling stuff. Gas versions will be more convenient, but will definately hurt at the pump!

Medium and lower applications: 1/2 ton P/U or SUV and again the longer the wheel base the better and towing package is a must! Stay away from short wheel bases and uni-bodies, full frames are a must.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Mark Bernard

I can get you a "Green sheet" if you want a new Durango.I think there still offering 4500 cash back plus the green sheet savings. When I bought mine I saved a total of $9800 off sticker. I bought it at Thomas Dodge of Orland Park. Great bunch of people there. You can even search there web sight to see what they have in stock. E-mail me and let me know if you want to go that route. Mark B.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Gumby647

I like my van. Last year when I decided to go racing again I was up in the air whether to get an enclosed trailer or a van. I decided on the van and I can't be happier with my decision. It doesn't take up any more space than the trailer would have and it is self propelled. I got it for not much more than the cost of a nice trailer and I got to keep my Impreza. I couldn't stand the idea of driving back and forth to work everyday in a big honking truck.  

diesel748

super-
just get a used van and sell me your trailer for real cheap!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$
S4 M3 either way dog you can't go wrong.
M3 might be more practicle. S4 might be more fun.
"with the top down screaming out money ain't a thing"

motomadness

A van would be very accomodating to the size of your current race package, but if you decide to take both an R6 and the TZ to the track, space will be at a premium.  

Another option is the Dodge Sprinter 2500.  It's a rebadged diesel Frieghtliner/Mercedes import.  It's larger than your average van (both in length and interior height - space for trailer-like cabinets and multiple motorcycles).  I believe they start at around the high 20's.

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteI can get you a "Green sheet" if you want a new Durango.I think there still offering 4500 cash back plus the green sheet savings. When I bought mine I saved a total of $9800 off sticker. I bought it at Thomas Dodge of Orland Park. Great bunch of people there. You can even search there web sight to see what they have in stock. E-mail me and let me know if you want to go that route. Mark B.

I am a salesperson at a Dodge dealership.  Green sheets are only good for immediate family.  The 2003's with the $4500 rebate are dwindling fast, but I have a huge inventory of 2500's still.  Let me know if I can be of some assistance. ;)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Super Dave

M3...definitely.

Sprinters?  Real high center of gravity, and, apparently, they are prone to falling over in higher winds.  Not sure if they are the answer.  The power plants seem to be on the weak side.

Full size vans are cheap to purchase compared to pretty much everything else.  You really don't want one, unless you're a sick racer or something, you need one.  So, they aren't marked up through the roof like SUV's (Stupid Useless Vehicles) and Pick-ups.

Towing?  Vans blow when they have to pull longer loads along with short wheel base full size SUV's like the Yukon and Expedition.  Get to a bigger 18 foot trailer loade up with this set up and you will need weight distribution and dynamic sway control.

And of course I use an E350 Superduty Diesel shuttle bus.  I bought it for less than what a van costs and I get a diesel.  I'm hooked on diesels now.  So much torque and economy...
Super Dave

Mark Bernard

QuoteI am a salesperson at a Dodge dealership.  Green sheets are only good for immediate family.  The 2003's with the $4500 rebate are dwindling fast, but I have a huge inventory of 2500's still.  Let me know if I can be of some assistance. ;)

Normally that would be correct but... we are allowed to give one Green sheet to anyone we want (family, friend ,or stranger) on a one time basis. That just came down from Daimler Corperate the week before last. But normally it's only for family members. So once again if you want a green sheet controll number, contact me by e-mail and I will get you a controll number. Mark B.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Super_KC124

QuoteM3...definitely.

Towing?  Vans blow when they have to pull longer loads along with short wheel base full size SUV's like the Yukon and Expedition.  Get to a bigger 18 foot trailer loade up with this set up and you will need weight distribution and dynamic sway control.

A TZ would fit nicely in the back of a van, therefore, no towing needed. Plus, you could get one of those, "If this vans a rockin"... stickers! ;D

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteNormally that would be correct but... we are allowed to give one Green sheet to anyone we want (family, friend ,or stranger) on a one time basis. That just came down from Daimler Corperate the week before last. But normally it's only for family members. So once again if you want a green sheet controll number, contact me by e-mail and I will get you a controll number. Mark B.

Sweet!
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM