News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Compressor air or Dry Nitrogen

Started by crazycurrie, October 08, 2003, 11:54:27 PM

Super_KC124

Just how fast are you? I think regular air is all you need. ;)

crazycurrie

QuoteAssuming this is a legitimate concern, and not trolling...

Ok, I will define the "system" as the tires and volume of gas within the tires.  First off, this system is not hermetically sealed.  The tires are organic materials that act as a permeable membrane.  Molecules of volatile gases can move back and forth through this membrane (in AND out, following Fick's Law of diffusion).  So even if you put dry nitrogen in the tires, it would become "wet" due to the moisture absorbed by the organic compounds (and it will mix with volatile chemicals escaping from those compounds...more on that later).  Now, you could desiccate the volume to try to keep the gas dry, but the system wants to obtain equilibrium (again, it's not sealed) and the desiccant would eventually become saturated.

Regular air does have moisture in it, but it's not going to turn into steam in your tires.  It's already in the vapor phase!

The "inconsistent pressure rise as the tire heats up" is due to a change in the compressibility factor, which is very slight.

I wouldn't worry about water vapor.  You know that funky smell that new tires have?  Well, your tires are made of organic compounds that contain volatile chemicals.  Over time, those volatile chemicals escape, which is what you smell.  And yes, they do escape into the interior and mix with the gas inside the tire volume.  Again, nothing to worry about.   ::)
wow does NASA know that you are sharing this information? :o J/K Im not trying to come off as a speed demon. i just like to ask alot of questions.. im always wanting to know more about everything involved with riding..  thats all  thanks for everybodys input... see ive learned alot. ;D

Super_KC124

That's whats so cool about this forum. You can ask anything and sometimes your not even bashed about the head and face. .....sometimes. ;D

mdr14

If I'm not mistaken, I could have sworn I saw Dunlop use nitrogen down at Daytona. On the high banks, I do believe heat is more of an issue than most other places.

But to use it regularly. Most likely it won't be a noticable difference, by by all means won't hurt.

Dave Rosno has been down at Daytona several times, I'm sure he has seen the same thing.
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

SE#39

Dave may have inflated tires at Daytona with nitrogen but on the web he uses nitros oxide.

Super Dave

Super Dave

Bernie