News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Daytona Survey

Started by xlr8tn, October 04, 2003, 07:12:49 PM

Super Dave

QuoteWhat about Road A?

I think we visted that...

It could snow, or it could be 55 degrees.  More than likely, those would be your options.  Doesn't make for anything promising.
Super Dave

zebraup

Hey! Why can't CCS/Formula USA-ClearChannel get with one of the major hotels and get us a MAJOR discount? We are the real reason that there is a Biketoberfest!

Super Dave

Real reason?  No, it's the people that go there to pose and play like they do during Bike Week.  There's a half million people there then, and only a minority come to any of the races.  Biketober Fest is just an extention of that.  No AMA Pro races, off road events, etc., so the racers and spectators are and even smaller minority.

The hotels can make money without the discounted prices.
Super Dave

badmonkey

QuoteI think we visted that...

It could snow, or it could be 55 degrees.  More than likely, those would be your options.  Doesn't make for anything promising.
Road Atlanta...not america ;D
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

Super Dave

QuoteRoad Atlanta...not america ;D

I thought we talked about danger there...

I've been there for big bike fields...bikes are actually gridded into the last corner.  And WERA has their gig then.  Doesn't seem likely.
Super Dave

tshort

QuoteI thought we talked about danger there...

I've been there for big bike fields...bikes are actually gridded into the last corner.  And WERA has their gig then.  Doesn't seem likely.

Hey Super D - you around today?  Have a minute for a quick chat re Daytona (see my new thread)?
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Sundial

This both the track and CCS have been doing some advertising.  There have been radio spots advertising the races on both the Daytona and Orlando stations.  Also, I just received an email flyer/advert about the races from Clear Channel.

Last year they didn't even open the big grandstands to spectators.  Everyone had to come into the infield.  The crowd was pretty good, lining the fences through the infield, and the infield grandstands seemed quite full as well.

The track is so big that 20k or 30k people just get swallowed and it appears that the crowd is smaller than it actually is.

I'm going this year, I live only about 30 miles away, but I'm post-entering due to unexpected costs popping up.

C ya there!
Dave

Super Dave

QuoteHey Super D - you around today?  Have a minute for a quick chat re Daytona (see my new thread)?

No.  Work, etc.

My Daytona info is for my students exclusively.  Sorry.  They paid for it.  I've got to keep it for them.
Super Dave

tshort

QuoteNo.  Work, etc.

My Daytona info is for my students exclusively.  Sorry.  They paid for it.  I've got to keep it for them.

Who said anything about info?  I've already got a source for that.  I was looking at ride sharing - but I've got it all sorted out now.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Super Dave

Sorry, Tom...  Usually, "quick chat's" regarding anything for a race track is a flag to me about something else.  

Had to make a decision in Mid-September that I wasn't going to go to Daytona.  I have a smaller budget than most people.

And I hope you have good luck. :o  The place is big.
Super Dave

StuartV666

QuoteBut again, what track could you use that you could start eighty riders?  Road America would be good, but the timing would be bad.

Why does the ROC need to have 80 rider grids? What would be wrong with limiting the grids to 60, or even 40? I think that would still give the top finishers from each region a legitimate shot. Why not guarantee slots for the top 10 from each region (in each class) and accept other entries on a space-available basis?

I think Barber or Road Atlanta would be a much better venue for the ROC than Daytona. I was tired of racing at Daytona in '93. I would never bother racing there again unless I was chasing points (or a championship at the ROC). And Barber or Road A. would be much more reflective of the racing environments that got people to the ROC in the first place. I wish I could go to the ROC this year, but one thing I was not looking forward to was being at the front of the Unlimited GP grid on a 600 Supersport machine. My R6 got me to the top of the points in that class during the season because it was competitive with bigger bikes at all the usual SE region tracks. But I know it was not going to be competitve at Daytona against the bigger bikes and somehow that just seems kinda lame.

- Stu

brian_gordon

stuarts on the rite track, this should be an invitation only event, a reward & opportunity for the best racers in each region to compete for a national championship. if you make it invitation only (with alternates) you could limit the grid size, change location and put it a good motorcycle circut/track that everyone could enjoy. it just doesn't make sence to call a race "the race of champions" when you allow racers with no chance of winning to clog up the grids, if you want to race daytona, fine, race it in the spring time with florida ccs.