News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Racer Promotion / Sponsorship

Started by FormulaUSA, November 07, 2001, 01:24:46 PM

FormulaUSA

Once again, I am asking for your feedback.  We are developing a promotional / sponsorship package to assist racers in obtaining outside support whether it be for trade or sponsorship dollars.  I would like to know what areas you are having, if any, difficulty in presentation, selling, closing, or even just prospecting sponsors.  Give me your honest experiences and how Formula USA can help...

Thank you in advance!

MPM

PS - We do have many resources as being part of the Clear Channel family to promote you for your sponsors as long as you are promoting Formula USA in the process.  We are developing a schedule that you will be able to contact us and sign up for these cross-promotions.  This is just one of the things we are incorporating for your use.

:)

Papa_Thiam

What level of racing are we talking here? If we're discussing sponsorship at the CCS level (as opposed to FUSA), I think the main difficulty (well, I'm speaking for myself here) is convincing anyone that we can add to their bottom line. I've heard this from dealerships, for instance: "how does helping you get me to sell more bikes?" It's a tough case to make.

Maybe having information available, such as attendance at race events (both racers and spectators) could help. I can't even tell someone "well, 500 local motorcycle fans will see your name on the bike two weekends a month" because I have absolutely no idea how many people will see it.

Also, if the revamped web site lists racers' sponsors, and if we can have information on the number of people reading the site, this could help convince potential sponsors that we're getting their name our there.

TightSqueeze

Mahly

And I'll 3rd it!  With almost zero advertizing, there is very little turn out at most races (A girl working at a gas station about 2 miles from the track didn't even know where Blackhawk was! Much less that bikes might race there!)
There is VERY little reason to sponsor a racer in CCS. Local businesses will see very little come from sponsoring a regional rider (even less if they have to travel a bit to get to the track...say from Green Bay) and large companies have no use for "grass roots" racers.
That said, I DID get some sponsorship from Millenium Technologies, and Ringosleather.com, as well as a swell pair of hats from Amsoil with an offer to buy at dealer prices....if I became a dealer. AGV also cut me a very good deal on leathers and boots.And MD Racing always gets me great prices (Helps to be a NESBA member)  ;D
CCS MW EX #113

projekt9_racing

I don't think Sponsorships in general add to the bottom line of most business's initially or as soon as they would like. With the exception of Nascar maybe. Let me clarify. Sponsorship is a tool for 'Promotion' It is another advertising outlet for firms. What sponsorship does, is create 'Opportunities' 'Impressions' for the sponsor.
Which, does not necessarly turn into sales. What it does do, is creat 'brand' awareness, and then hopefully when the fan or consumer goes to buy a product he or she remembers the logo, or banner a sponsored team was flying. These are 'potential' sales. Trying to 'sell' sponsorship as direct ROI dollars to a prospective sponsor is futile. Any serious marketing manager will know you are making claims you cannot deliver. Perhaps you could create sales through POS and POP marketing campaigns. But then there are vendor fee's, ect... One of the keys is to know what the firms target is. If you are not offering something that is directed towards the firms target audience, you can forget it. Also, knowing specifically who to send your proposal to is quite important. If you do not have a contact name and some type of previous contact, such as email, letter or phone call you will not be able to get the person you are trying to reach. If it winds up at the general mail bin, and it does not have a specific department and title it will most likely wind up in the 'round' folder. Providing details to the prospective sponsor is vital. Demographics are something that a firm is going to want to see. Past exposure you may have had. One thing that is a detriment to our domestic sport except the AMA is not having TV coverage. IMO, This is probably the biggest single road block for not getting sponsorship. TV Impressions are worth big bucks to firms. That is one of the ways Sponsors measure their ROI. Someone from the firm, usually from marketing will watch the telecast with pen and paper and stopwatch. They will count how many times their logo is on screen and for how long. Then they translate that into advertising costs and time slot, network, ect...to come up with a value.
So, TV is critical. Even if you are not a front runner.
Getting a sponsors logo/name on screen for 10 seconds is valuable. A 30 second spot may cost them 5k, 10k, or more. It depends obviously on the network, the time, and the ratings. But this is where it makes the most sense for a prospective sponsor to get involved. Just relying on Print, Web, and at track signage impressions are not enough for big firms. It is very frustrating for the racer, and team owner. Sponsorship is not easy to come by and not easy to maintain. It takes ALOT of hard work. Maybe more time than you would spend preping, competing, and travling to the races. One thing that is positive is that FUSA is actually willing to assist racers now. I think that is a major step in the right direction. That is what CART and NASCAR and Grand Am do. They solicit sponsors for their competing teams. It helps the series grow, and makes them look even more professional. It makes good economic sense for the sanctioning body to do this. Most racers do not have the resources to go out and hunt sponsors down, like I said it can be a full time job.

projekt9_racing

...continued
And speaking of 'professional' I think this is an area that still needs addressing. Most teams and riders at our level have a fairly good presentation, some are outstanding, but there are still some with poor presentation and poor attitude at the track.
I'll give you a for instance, at the ROC I saw many racers with sloppy and scattered looking garages.
Very unprofessional. I also overheard more than a few racers/crew spewing obsenities loudly. Now, in the heat of battle and certain situations obscene language is justified. Though in normal conversation
I don't think it has a place. Another observation, or I should say 'Ear-servation was a team who called themselves, 'team stupid' Well, I don't need to expalin that one. Suffice to say that will not attract potential sponsors. What company would want to associate themselves with an organization or team that called themselves stupid? I think it was poor judgement, on both the teams and FUSA for allowing it. But thats just my opinion. All I can say, is that getting and keeping a sponsor is hard work, and the fact that FUSA is willing to help is great. Take advantage of it. Also, remember that a sponsor is someone, [firm, person(s) ] who will provide a product or money in return for your promotional services. Getting a discount or a t-shirt or a hat does not make a sponsor. If you were to give the same amount of promotional work/space for each comapny who was involved with your team, what incetive does a firm have to ante up cash? You have to have some sort of ladder system. Personally, I differentiate between my sponsors and associate sponsors. If I get free product, then I consider them a sponsor. If they offer a discount then they are an associate. I consider decal/logo size and placement, in all forms of advertising I do for them. Obviously my sponsors always get top billing. That way they are justified in giving me that specific deal. These are just some of the considerations you need to think about. There are many more I am sure I missed or maybe stated incorrectly. The competition for attracting/getting/keeping sponsors, is becoming increasingly tougher. We have to work even harder.
But this is a great move on FUSA's part, and I say good luck and thank you.

Papa_Thiam

I don't believe CCS is doing anything wrong by allowing teams to pick whatever names they want, so long as they're not offensive. I mean, at the end of the day, we are doing this for fun. This isn't the former Soviet Union. If someone feels that "Team Stupid" is an accurate reflection of who they are, I applaud SFX/CCS for allowing them to use this name.

About sloppy garages: not everyone of those guys out there are looking for sponsorship and care about the appearance of professionalism. again, this is grassroots-level racings, for fun. It would look better if everyone ordered everything neatly and wore uniform team shirts, but this is just a hobby. I'm personally a freak when it comes to neatness, and hate sitting in a messy place. But that's just me. The minute SFX/CCS starts telling people how to arrange their pits, or what to call their teams, I'll pack my trailer and go home.

In the end, the guys who are looking for sponsorship money will behave in a matter that can attract sponsorship. No need for Big Brother to get involved.  :D

projekt9_racing

QuoteI don't believe CCS is doing anything wrong by allowing teams to pick whatever names they want, so long as they're not offensive. I mean, at the end of the day, we are doing this for fun. This isn't the former Soviet Union. If someone feels that "Team Stupid" is an accurate reflection of who they are, I applaud SFX/CCS for allowing them to use this name.

About sloppy garages: not everyone of those guys out there are looking for sponsorship and care about the appearance of professionalism. again, this is grassroots-level racings, for fun. It would look better if everyone ordered everything neatly and wore uniform team shirts, but this is just a hobby. I'm personally a freak when it comes to neatness, and hate sitting in a messy place. But that's just me. The minute SFX/CCS starts telling people how to arrange their pits, or what to call their teams, I'll pack my trailer and go home.

In the end, the guys who are looking for sponsorship money will behave in a matter that can attract sponsorship. No need for Big Brother to get involved.  :D

I agree that there are some guys who are not looking for sponsorships, I also agree that not everyone cares about appearance too. But, it is just as much of a reflection on the series as is on the racers. You can argue this all you want, but at the end of a day, if a firm has a choice between say F-2000 or Star Mazda, or whatever else there is available and their series presents a more professional image, then who do think they are going to go with Papa?
I don't want a communistic approach either, but you look at the big three in car racing, and never mind that bikes aren't cars, because in the sponsorship and money game it's all motorsports, the big three have stringent rules all teams must abide by.
If you don't play their game, you don't play.
It seems to work. I may not agree with all their rules and tactics, but you cannot argue that they get all the sponsor dollars. Also, I was not speaking necessarly of CCS, or grass-roots level. I agree that if you want to be professional move up to pro ranks.
But, The team Challenge at the ROC was sanctioned by FUSA. and it was a culmination of a National program. I believe on a National level Pro-Am events should be treated no different than Pro events. Now, regional Ex-Am stuff is different, I'm with you, it should be a place where anyone can go out and have fun. No need to be Joe Pro.

Papa_Thiam

From what I've read on the WERA board, you know a lot about car racing. How does entry-level car racing compare to CCS/WERA stuff in terms of professionalism? I'm not trying to be smart: I honestly don't know.

projekt9_racing

I hear ya, ok Papa.
Well, the fact that the even entry level racing series get TV coverage, sort of forces them to present a certain image. I can not be 100% sure about this, but I am certain that the series would not allow any questionable behavior/image to be presented.
The reasons are numerous, but it would make the series look unprofessional, and that could jepordize their TV deal. Sponsors, TV advertisers, might be put off and decide not to continue their relationships.
All I am saying is that since I have been a motorsports fan, roughly 28 years, I have taken notice that the car guys have been setting the examples. Part of that is due to the fatc that they were one of the first motorized sports to be in the spotlight. But, they seem to have had the jump and have set the precedents for image. You look now and GP and WSBK almost rival F-1 in terms of image and pagentry. That was not always true in the past.
The series marketers have taken notice of how TV
brings big bucks and prestige, in turn they must present a polished and professional image. The bar gets set, and then goes higher. With so many racers and teams in the motorsports world competing for the same dollars, its a monumental task to sign a major sponsor who will put up large sums of money.
I just feel that if all your cards aren't in row...you don't have a fighting chance. Thats just my opinion though, I could be off about a few things.
Thanks.

Mahly

;D there are those who would say "team Wannabe" isn't a very good name for getting sponsors as well  ;)
CCS MW EX #113

projekt9_racing

Quote;D there are those who would say "team Wannabe" isn't a very good name for getting sponsors as well  ;)
Good point, I wasn't thinking about it until you
brought it up. I will reconsider that branding.
I am always interested in modifying our program.
By no means am I an expert, I'm just finding my way through trials and tribulations. Thanks for the input.

Admin

Now, why do you have to make the whole bottom of the post black?!

Shawn :)

GSXRGUY

QuoteI hear ya, ok Papa.
Well, the fact that the even entry level racing series get TV coverage, sort of forces them to present a certain image. I can not be 100% sure about this, but I am certain that the series would not allow any questionable behavior/image to be presented.
The reasons are numerous, but it would make the series look unprofessional, and that could jepordize their TV deal. Sponsors, TV advertisers, might be put off and decide not to continue their relationships.
All I am saying is that since I have been a motorsports fan, roughly 28 years, I have taken notice that the car guys have been setting the examples. Part of that is due to the fatc that they were one of the first motorized sports to be in the spotlight. But, they seem to have had the jump and have set the precedents for image. You look now and GP and WSBK almost rival F-1 in terms of image and pagentry. That was not always true in the past.
The series marketers have taken notice of how TV
brings big bucks and prestige, in turn they must present a polished and professional image. The bar gets set, and then goes higher. With so many racers and teams in the motorsports world competing for the same dollars, its a monumental task to sign a major sponsor who will put up large sums of money.
I just feel that if all your cards aren't in row...you don't have a fighting chance. Thats just my opinion though, I could be off about a few things.
Thanks.

However, not to stir the pot, but I'm curious about one thing.  What is the financial investment dfifference between that entry level car racer on TV and an entry level CCS racer?

I only ask because I feel that you have have to invest more, therefore making people in general more serious minded about there sport.  Where as in CCS a lot of people are just out there for fun and nothing else.

I agree with what you are saying about what it will take to draw serious sponsorship.  I guess I don't think you will get that at this level of the game, just because the nature of the beast.  However, Formula USA should be another story as you have alluded to.

projekt9_racing

No, you are right. The entry level cost of car racing in general is much higher than entry level bike racing-usually. It would apply better to the Pro series.
But, I guess I look at it from the angle, that entry level may attract dollars. But to attract the money you have to first spend the money. Then again why would someone invest in series that didn't pay dividends - in the form of ratings and viewership. But the reality is most of don't have alot of money to initially invest. Hey, I will tell that I had never even rode a bike until 1991. I didn't know about novice and regional bike racing either. I was always, and still am a big car racing nut. I will always dream of piloting a formula type machine...I had always wanted to race, but I could never afford it. Then when I found about amateure bike racing, i leaped at the chance. Because, I found out really all you needed was a half decent street bike and protective gear. Race prep the former street bike, throw on some race rubber and BAM! Your racing.
So, I am contridicting myself, because I was intially drawn to entry level bike racing because of its affordability, no other reason. Of course I love it now, for so many other reasons. I guess its a bit of jealousy, I want what I see, and can't have...
Oh, well....I can keep dreaming.

RickyRacer

TV promotions and or Race coverage would do it. Hell, any kind of promotion would help.  TV would be the most help.

There are lots of local cable stations that can be use for this. Why not use them? Cost would be relatively low.
"HEY!, quit being a hog and pass the racepipe"
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

Sage

I think that local TV would be a good start, and a place for local shops to see their names on TV. With word of mouth, email and a little promotion via flyers at the shops listing times and dates for the races on your local access channel you'd get a good turn out and the shop owner that doesn't want to play might see Joe blow down the street helping out & getting props on TV and change his mind. As a small shop owner I do what ever I can to help out racers for 2 reasons-

1. I love racing and can't afford it, so watching my bikes go around the track gives a little fix to the habit.

2. Most people that race are on a tight budget but have many loose friends that love to think their going fast but are scared to race, those are the people that spend the money.

Another approach to take when going to your local shop looking for help is letting the owner know of the tax write offs motorcycle racing opens up for a motorcycle shop. My attitude with this is the money is going some ware, why not help out the sport vs. sending Uncle Sam a check, at least racing might give some back!

As far as pit appearance goes, if I'm going to give somebody parts at cost & do most of the labor for free then I expect some effort on the racers part.

I'm not looking for the factory team look, it would be nice but lets get real, but if you have 4 guys its not hard to go to target and buy four pairs of matching sweats & tee shirts, a cheap garbage can so you can pick up after yourself and not leaving your tools scattered like a 2 year old. These things sound petty but really improve the look of the team and will get positive attention.

If your going to put your sticker on a dog at the dog show, do you want the dog the wasn't brushed and has a messy cage or do you want you sticker on a dog that has brushed hair and fresh paper down in the cage?

RickyRacer

Here is a way you can help. (I think this was mentioned, but I'll say it again)

I need numbers. How many people attended and how many may attend my CCS race weekends?  

I am working on putting together a sponsorship proposal. But I need some numbers. It would help me immensely to have this info. It will help to show that I am looking out for him/her interest too. These will be question that they will ask. I can't even imagine going to someone without it. I don't want to come across looking like Joe Blow. I want to be able to present a professional proposition.

Can you get these numbers for me? Post them along with race results.  That should be good enough.

BTW, I need these numbers yesterday. If you have numbers for at least the last two CCS events, that would be great.

September 22-23 -- Moroso Motorsports Park
October 17-21 - Daytona Int'l Speedway
:)
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

CCS

The average CCS event on the East Coast has 700 people, the farther to the Northeast you go, the higher the number is. Tracks like Roebling and CMP that do not allow spectators hurt that average bad. (VIR and Summit average over 1000 but then again they cost 2-3 times the rent too.)

For Moroso numbers you need to ask Henry DeGouw, and Daytona doesn't release the spectator numbers. (They are in charge of all spectator tickets and areas, so there is no way for us to accurately "guesstimate" spectator attendence.)

The paddock area at the Race of Champions had 1200 passes issued (600 of those were comps by the Speedway to riders, crew, vendors and sponsors.)

I hope that helps.

Kevin
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

RickyRacer

SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI