News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Fuel Rules?

Started by Super Dave, October 03, 2003, 04:33:08 AM

fourandsix

QuoteBango...again, my man comes out with the simple answers.

(Make sure you razz one rider about falling down on the SV this weekend....)
He said he was just trying to be like you!

Super Dave

QuoteHe said he was just trying to be like you!

LOL....gotta aspire to be something....I guess... ;D
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteWhy don't bikes run methanol?  (I know it's illegal under the rules) But why, aside from it eating all the rubber seals in your fuel system?

Would it wreck the vacuum slide diaphragms eventually?   Is it too easy to dump in a little notro?

My father ran methanol in his 475ci Modified oval track car with mechanical injection.  It ran cooler than gasoline and the fuel is super cheap.

Methanol cheap?  You get exactly what you pay for.  

Methanol is used in many commercial applications.  So, often, what I've seen people get is used methanol either from medical applications, silk processing.  Methanol can even be "reclaimed".  Bottom line is that as it gets used, it continually gets more and more contaminated.  Often, "racing methanol" is only 92% methanol.

Proper racing methanol costs about as much as a decent leaded non-oxygenated racing fuel.

Cooler?  Yes.  Methanol has less BTU's than gasoline.  9500BTU's vs 19000BTU's for the same amount.  So, to make similar power, you need twice as much...hence the bigger jets...and the reason why you use twice as much methanol as gas in racing.

Storage is a huge issue with methanol.  It loves water.  Lots of the problems associated with it come from the fact that it attracts water, or because many of the cheaper methanols contain a lot of water, it corrodes parts and they get whacked.

Seemed like back in the early days of FUSA, there was a guy running a Yamaha FZ750 on Methanol...hard to get it to last the race.

Ulrich's Team Suzuki built "Methanol Monster"  GSXR1100's in the early '90's when the rules were pretty wide open.  They used Power Mist Holeshot Methanol to finally get them to work and beat the YZR500's that  Roberts' brought over for Oliver and Peterson to ride....
Super Dave

EX#996

Quote(Make sure you razz one rider about falling down on the SV this weekend....)

The most memorable thing for me this weekend in regards to this "rider" is him pounding on the motor home (his) windows as he passes us going down I-55.  It was absolutely hilarious.  

The little stinker, he even has to pass us on the interstate...  No respect for his elders.   ;D

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

EX#996

QuoteHe said he was just trying to be like you!

DOH!!!!   :o   :-X

Hehehe

;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

GAMEDIC

Dave you are not correct MR1 MR9 and Ultimate 4 are all just fine for CCS and WERA as well as the new Ultimate 2 and yes i am the SE VP Rep.

james-redsv

QuoteDave you are not correct MR1 MR9 and Ultimate 4 are all just fine for CCS and WERA as well as the new Ultimate 2 and yes i am the SE VP Rep.
I think we have a challange here. Dave will you respond please, I would like to hear what you have to say about his statement, man this is a good thread. ::)

Super Dave

Sorry, I'm not the one to challenge.

The high Desert Engineering Meter measures VP MR1 at +6.7.  

Legal parameter is +/-0.4.

VP MR9 is similar to the MR series VP fuels in that it is leaded an oxygenated.  There is word on the street that VP is actually purchasing it from Nutec, which I won't go into where that comes from, and that it is one of its Special 4 or 5 blends, hence, the extraordinary price.  Yes, I can't say for sure, but I had that information on good authority.

Regardless, the fact that anyone in CCS that can tell you that fuel is legal without taking a sample for a reading on the meter that they say the rule is based on, is incorrect.  

WERA's rules are quite a bit different than CCS rules.  They use the "old" dielectric DT-15 tester made by Digitron.  It measures hydrocarbons in a completely different way.  Under WERA's rules, pump gas is legal because of the height of the polar reading they are allowed.

So, like I said, I'm not the one to challenge.  The meters read a particular way.  I just know how they read the fuels.
Super Dave

Super Dave

And to add...

I think these fuels should be legal.  The parameter for fuel in CCS/FUSA is too restrictive.  I am using the information I have available to inform you of how restrictive it is.

Does this make sense?

I'm not picking on VP, but because they have so many fuels, I readily can get information on them.  Additionally, VP is a contingency sponsor.  So, the fuels that are supplied to the distributors should be legal.  

One of the problems in motorcycling is a lack of knowledge.  The rules were changed for a specific purpose to limit the usage of exotic, expensive fuels.  However, there is no "test" that will do that that will allow a person, team, rider, etc. to use the least expensive alternative for fuel...pump gas.  Additionally, this is still predominately the most widely used fuel among us.  

Next, the rules writers failed to recognize the fact of pump gas usage.  The rule sits there.

I mean here we go...

If I wanted to, I could have protested the guys ahead of me in FUSA at Heartland Park.  I happened to be using a fuel that falls within the parameters of the CCS/FUSA rules that weekend because I wanted to richen up my mixture for the hot, hot weather.  I could have put myself right into first easily becasue I know that the front runners at that level are running exotic oxygenated fuels like I usually run.

More questions?
Super Dave

coeff

QuoteIf I wanted to, I could have protested the guys ahead of me in FUSA at Heartland Park.  I happened to be using a fuel that falls within the parameters of the CCS/FUSA rules that weekend because I wanted to richen up my mixture for the hot, hot weather.  I could have put myself right into first easily becasue I know that the front runners at that level are running exotic oxygenated fuels like I usually run.

That would have been the easiest way for you to effect your change, taking an issue to that level seems to be the only way to get the attention of the arrogant profiteers of CCS management.

WebCrush

QuoteIf I wanted to, I could have protested the guys ahead of me in FUSA at Heartland Park.  I happened to be using a fuel that falls within the parameters of the CCS/FUSA rules that weekend because I wanted to richen up my mixture for the hot, hot weather.  I could have put myself right into first easily becasue I know that the front runners at that level are running exotic oxygenated fuels like I usually run.

More questions?

Hmmm . . . sounds like a Daytona strategy to me. :D  Then again, I bet they'd just deny the protest rather than bump up the top runners in a race over a fuel rule which is moot.

OmniGLH

QuoteThat would have been the easiest way for you to effect your change, taking an issue to that level seems to be the only way to get the attention of the arrogant profiteers of CCS management.

That's probably true.  Unfortunately, it's probably also THE quickest way that Dave could place a target on his back....
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak