News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Daytona Layout?

Started by EM JAY, September 30, 2003, 04:06:19 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteIt's too bad the new chicane, while arguably safer, made the track even less technical...

I agree, though I haven't ridden the new design yet. I actually liked the chicane before and did pretty well in it, but that bad approach toward the wall at the exit was really dangerous.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

r6_philly

I for one love daytona. its fun to ride on, memorable, and never rode anywhere else like it. It is not the usual rider skills test, actually it test you more than that. test your courage, your preperation, your mechanical skills, your planning, your strategy and a host of others. The knowledge and thinking required to do well there is not a small amount. A lot of HP would put you at a advantage, but it you don't approach it right, and don't make wise decisions, you wouldn't do well solely because of you hp...

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteOf course im serious, im seriously trying to get a rise out of mightykook just like everyone else.

;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

THE_D.O.C.

you haven't been there, yet it's dangerous. mmmmm okay.

i love daytona. it's absolutely awesome. if you're that concerned aboit "safety" stay home and watch it on TV.

Mark Bernard

QuoteI say CCS should rotate the tracks every year for the ROC. One year at VIR, the next at Barber, then to west coast for Willow etc. Now that would be a challenge for the best riders in the US.

Road America...Road America...Road America...Road America...Road America....Road America. Did I mention Road America? lol ::)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

zracer196

I have raced @ Daytona since 1996.  I raced the Daytona 200 in 2002.  Great fun.  It can be dangerous if one doesn't "respect" it.  There are some very fast areas that can do some serious damage to yourself and your bike.  Use caution if it's your first time.  Especially in the rain!  Very slippery.

About horsepower...I have raced a LEGAL supersport bike year after year.  As an amateur, I was second in my races (almost won ONE) to Mike Ciccotto.  In 2001 (March), I placed sixth, third and then crashed hard in to the chicane on the last lap while going for second (Larry Denning won those races).  So horsepower isn't everything.  It doesn't hurt though, and you don't want a weak bike.  Make sure you have your gearing right, etc.  The details add up.

Good luck and see you there!

Mark Zaremskas
CCS #196
AMA #196
WERA #196

Eric Kelcher

things to consider.
1 Track has to be somewhere that in late fall has decent riding weather. (think about Road Atlanta the Suzuki Cup/GNF stuff is often wet and very cold snow even) VIR is even farther north RA is totally out of the question
2. Track most be able to handle 80 bike grids and most (all?) of them are "hp" tracks
3. only 8 MC racers have died there does that make it safe/dangerous? no, but it is not a large number for number of years/racers that have been there.
4. History many races race ROC due to it being "Daytona", there is actually a spectator crowd for CCS races
5. minimal local advantage due to only spring and fall races.
6. For all the security problems people talk about from my perspective (as a racer and as an official) I have never had a problem (if you think something might be questionable; pit speeds, wheelies, going somewhere without a pass , parking in fire lane, it probably is) the Daytoan crew work to insure a smooth running event Anyone ever watch Daytona crew recover a downed bike? ever get a vehicle blocked in?
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Photo_Chick

Quote(think about Road Atlanta the Suzuki Cup/GNF stuff is often wet and very cold snow even)
Snow?  At the GNF at Road A?  When was this?  I've been at the GNF for the last few years and the weather has been great.  It's seemed to rain at every AMA event there but the GNF's have been awesome weather

Photo_Chick

Oh yeah, I've been to almost every track numerous times and I definately think that Daytona is one of the more dangerous tracks.  Not just for club racers but for AMA racers as well.

badmonkey

Daytona Yawn, boring ass non-technical joke of a track.After 10 laps in the spring for the team challenge I was bored to death. Track is not bad safety wise unless it rains then it crash fest city. ROC nees to be at a riders track, and don't say horsepower doesn't matter there cause thats a crock,how many bikes were on the lead lap last 200.. Thats what I thought
Do you want to touch my Monkey?