Success...

Started by EX#996, September 25, 2003, 10:27:25 AM

EX#996

I went to a private parochial high school.  Yesterday I received our alumni directory.  It was fun going through it to see where some of my classmates moved to, married, or what their current occupation is.

I realized that even though some may be considered more "successful" than I...  Personally I don't think success is determined by the number of digits in my bank account or on my paycheck.  I think I am the most successful of all.  My success is determined by those around me – Paul and Renee top the list.  Second are my friends that I deeply care about.  Many of whom are on this board.

I just wanted to say thanks!

Dawn  :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

tigerblade

That's the right attitute to have Dawn.  I've haven't gotten to where I want to be either financially or romantically (damn crazy women...) but I do have a wonderful family and a bunch of great friends.  Guess I would consider myself more "lucky" than "successful".  

:)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

KBOlsen

Dawn, you are an inspiration!

Thank you for providing a much-needed "attitude adjustment" for me today!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

dwilson

My 10 year reunion is coming up next year.  I just can't wait to see the expression on everyones face when they see...

1. I'm still alive
2. I have short hair
3. I have a respectable job
4. My girlfriend still looks as good as when we were in school (we were friends in school)  :-*

Super_KC124

I don't know wether to cry or hurl? Just kidding. ;D Life is short. Enjoy it while your here.

sdiver68

QuoteI realized that even though some may be considered more "successful" than I...  Personally I don't think success is determined by the number of digits in my bank account or on my paycheck.  

Hmm, well far be it from me not to chime in here :)

The thing is, I work in business, and own my own "company", essentially a 1 person shop offering IS management services.  The entire goal in business is to make money, hopefully by offering wanted and needed services to society (versus fraudulently stealing it).  The more wanted and valued that service is, the more it is worth (Economics degree speaking here).  So, I DO measure sucees by digits in my bank account.  Digits in my bank account are also a guide as to which of the many facets of IS I am best suited for at the time.

That's what competition in business is all about, there is no checkered flag...but there IS a statement to let you know how you are doing.  When 2 people who are both friends and in the business world sit and talk about money or accomplishemnts or cars or whatever...it's not about the money itself, its the same as 2 racers talking about their bikes...bench racing, in this case the race vehicles are fueled by business accomplishments and representented by dollars wor the things dollars can buy.  So, if you want to find fault in me, I think its that I'm too competitive, not greedy.

Some just automatically write people off who think or occasionally talk like that as materialistic, unapproachable, money-grubbers, whatever.  I think this is entirely unfair, I certainly recognize the contributions and appreciate people from all walks of life and feel many of my own most important contributions have nothing to do with money.  One of the things I love about the motorcycle racing family is being with people from all walks of life, people who I otherwise would probably never be exposed to on a personal level.  People who share one of my defining characteristics...competitiveness!

MCRA Race School Instructor

EX#996

Geesh Steve:

I didn't mean to hit a nerve...   ::)

Simply put - money doesn't make the person.  

Unfortunately in todays society the only measure that means something to many people is their $$$.  I don't subscribe to that way of thinking.  I am friends with millionaires and paupers, its what's inside that matters.

If you feel that I am putting you down in some way,  that was not the intent of my message.  Just don't judge me by my 'net worth' because it doesn't matter.

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

sdiver68

QuoteGeesh Steve:

I didn't mean to hit a nerve...   ::)

Simply put - money doesn't make the person.  

Unfortunately in todays society the only measure that means something to many people is their $$$.  I don't subscribe to that way of thinking.  I am friends with millionaires and paupers, its what's inside that matters.

If you feel that I am putting you down in some way,  that was not the intent of my message.  Just don't judge me by my 'net worth' because it doesn't matter.

Dawn  

Well, unfortunately there are people who assume someone who does OK must be like some others who act like pompous azzes.  I just wanted to put a slightly different perspective out there for people to consider.  Stereotypes are bad, and they happen both ways.

No worries, personally, and I agree with everything you said.  :)
MCRA Race School Instructor

Mark Bernard

I'm succesful in ways that just can't be measured in ca$h. I feel that the fact that I am still alive, healthy, and happy... able to spend time with my daughters and able to race, have a decent job and fantastic friends, makes me a success. Cash dont make the person. It's all in how YOU look at how YOUR life has been to YOU! I recently had my 25 year class reunion. I walked away feeling great about my life and accomplishments...not my "bank account"! I have done more things in my life that most people never will. I was an Airborne Ranger in the Army, jumped from airplanes, climbed mountains, done some repelling, traveled, lived in Fairbanks Alaska for a year and a half. Now I race... I am living the American dream and that just cant be measured in cash or status. But if you measure your life by how much you have in your bank account... then I am glad that I am not you! Right on Dawn! I'm with ya baby!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

TZDeSioux

You see this Rolex on my wrist? You see the Ferrari out in my drive way? You want to see what a 7 figure income looks like? Look at the smile on my face! That's the difference between success and you sucka! If you're successful.. you gots to have the bling bling! Life aint nothing but a race to see who makes the most loot.  ::) just kidding.  ;)

Mark Bernard

QuoteYou see this Rolex on my wrist? You see the Ferrari out in my drive way? You want to see what a 7 figure income looks like? Look at the smile on my face! That's the difference between success and you sucka! If you're successful.. you gots to have the bling bling! Life aint nothing but a race to see who makes the most loot.  ::) just kidding.  ;)
I wear a Timex and drive a Dodge, and race a Buell! Analize that!  ;D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

TZDeSioux

I will try to analyze it.

YOu wear a timex because it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Good buy!

You drive a Dodge because you want to be like Al Bundy. He's funny... so that's cool.

You race a Buell because... ummm...  Eric Buell is your cousin?
 :P

Mark Bernard

Wow...Your good!!!!  ;D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

tigerblade

QuoteYou see this Rolex on my wrist? You see the Ferrari out in my drive way? You want to see what a 7 figure income looks like? Look at the smile on my face! That's the difference between success and you sucka! If you're successful.. you gots to have the bling bling! Life aint nothing but a race to see who makes the most loot.  ::)  

Yo playa, wit all dat bank why can't you put da squeeze on da customs agents at da airport sos you can get dat TZ quicka?
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

TZDeSioux

QuoteYo playa, wit all dat bank why can't you put da squeeze on da customs agents at da airport sos you can get dat TZ quicka?

Why? I'll tell you why... it's because I wish I had a Rolex and  Ferrari and 7 figure income. Hell.. my wedding band is made out of surgical steel for crying out loud. Why don't you lend me about 3.5k so I can go buy a shiny new stainless steel Rolex Submariner Mr. Go on expensive Superbike racing vacations.  ;)

KBOlsen

<<< wonders how much track time could be bought from the proceeds of the sale of said Rolex.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Baltobuell

At my 30th reunion I found
Smart people can die young too
Stupid people can get rich
The older I get, the more I appriciate laughter
Old drunks laugh alot
Somehow everybody gets through to their end.
It's all about how you feel about what you're doing with your one life on a daily basis.

I think I'll open a beer for the smart, driven, rich, dead guy before I take the widow to dinner.