News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Reducing Radius Turns

Started by deltadave, September 24, 2003, 06:07:12 PM

deltadave

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get through a reducing radius turn such as number six at Gateway.  I have been down shifting to second gear just before entering the turn.  Would I be better off staying in third and carrying more speed until the turn tightens and downshifting while leaned over ? It's a scary thought for me, but do some guys do it ?

tzracer

Decreasing radius turns should be taken so that the line you follow is closer to constant radius. That is, as you get towards the end of thge turn, let the bike drift towards the outside of the track, this widens the exit of the turn. I do not downshift in that turn, on my RC or on my TZ.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

sdiver68

What bike are you riding?

If it's a 750 or above, most of the fast guys (Sub 1:10's) carry 3rd gear all the way through the infield.  If it's a 600, many shift in the left-right transition from 5 to 6.  Super Dave teaches a feather the clutch and shift right before the part of the turn that tightens up technique...but I could never get this right.

Also, you may want to look at your gearing here.  Again, depends on what bike you are running.
MCRA Race School Instructor

EX#996

I believe DeltaDave220 is Dave Myers AM #220.  

He runs the 88 or 89 Suzuki 750cc bike in Thunderbike.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

Ok, I come into six in fourth, down shift to third, then downshift to second...all leaned over.  

The radius that one follows is related to speed and lean angle.  If you can set the lean angle, you can decrease the radius by reducing your speed...

You're looking for a window that is the fastest speed that will get you though the corner with the least amount of work.  You can't do the corner at the speed you enter that corner in...you've got to slow down.  

Gear selection is again based on the best gear that will get you out with the least amount of hassle.

You might need a change in sprockets...hard to say.  
Super Dave

deltadave

Thanks for the input guys.  I'm going to change my gearing slightly and practice (very carefully) smoothly downshifting while leaned over.  Something that comes to mind is what Ed Bargy teaches in his school "If you're not in the powerband, SHIFT".  Dave Myers (1989 GSXR 750)