News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why do so many new racers quit?

Started by MadXX, September 23, 2003, 11:10:13 AM

KBOlsen

Mark - we need to find SD a battery box  :) :)
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

MudDawg

Hmmm...I guess I can chime in here.

I race Sv's normally.  have done some 600 seat time. (R6 - destroyed twice, the third time was the frame breaker.)  I have a GSXR750 racebike, and a GSXR1000 streetride.  

I've done fairly well in CCS racing.  I'm not the fastest guy on the track...but I'm also not a rolling chicane.

That being said....the GSXR750 is a handful to ride.  The 1000 makes me want diapers.  I have thus far refused to even contemplete racing it.  

As for quitting racing....if you aren't getting what you need out of it....time to move on.  Some can't handle the wrecks, or the cost, or the time commitment.  Some don't like losing, or realizing that they will never be better than mediocre.  Sometimes it's the injuries or the homelife.

That being said.  I've seen some incredibly slow racers out there.  They are stable and keep trying to learn to go faster.  Yeah...they are are lappers...and you see them weekend after weekend.  And yeah....folks bitch about them being slow.  But if you don't have anybody to ever pass...then it's called riding alone.  To me that sucks.  :-)

MadXX

Wow, this thread has gone much further than I could have hoped.  Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and insights.   8)

You have given me a much clearer picture of what sacrifices, setbacks, and frustrations come from this sport.  But as they say no great accomplishment comes without great work and great risk.  

The discussion in here has also affirmed my view of the rewards of the sport.  Every race I attend, every person I meet, confirms my belief that the people in the racing community are truly a great bunch.  I can't wait to see you on the track next year.

251am: Listen to the people trying to assist you here.  They are only trying to help.  A lot of pain in life can be avoided by taking into consideration the honest advice of those who have been down the same road you are embarking on.  Some people pay a lot of money for the help you can get from the people on this board.

Now before it gets too deep in here I'll say I plan on beating everyone next year by at least 10 seconds and expect I will win the GTU races with my SV on my second weekend.  Now if I don't do this I'll have to be horribly disappointed and blame it on all of you for unfairly passing me at a high rate of speed.  :o ;) ;D

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteNow before it gets too deep in here I'll say I plan on beating everyone next year by at least 10 seconds and expect I will win the GTU races with my SV on my second weekend.  Now if I don't do this I'll have to be horribly disappointed and blame it on all of you for unfairly passing me at a high rate of speed.  :o ;) ;D

Will that be 10 seconds ahead of the leaders that are lapping you for the 2nd or 3rd time?  ;D LOL
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

MadXX

heh.  I think 3rd myself.  At least until I start getting better.

realistically I just want to make sure I am not one of the guys crashing out of my licencing school.  Now that would suck.  :-[

I just want to see how good I can get next year.  If I win something, great.  If not, then at least I had a good time.  Now if I crash and break myself I'll have to get mad, heal, and do it all again.

CCSRacer114

I can't tell you why new racers quit.  You'd have to speak to a new racer who quit to really know.  I CAN tell you why I don't quit:

1.  I'm challenging myself every time I get on my bike.
2.  I'm challenging the track every time I get on my bike.
3.  I'm challenging my friends every race.
4.  I'm challenging my "enemies" every race.
5.  I know who my friends are because they share on a weekend with no questions.
6.  I walk around and meet new people every race weekend.
7.  On monday morning when people say "what did you do this weekend", I smile.

R/Rob
CCS Amateur #114
Sponsors: Dade Behring (NASDAQ: DADE), Rolane Diagnostics, Prieto Racing, Vortex, Pirelli, GMD Computrack

Mark Bernard

QuoteMark - we need to find SD a battery box  :) :)
I am so the way wrong person to find SD a battery box. Unless one for a Buell will fit!? ;D What do you think? lol
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Super Dave

LOL!  If I use the Buell battery tray, won't I have to use a group 27 battery?

I don't see a way for me to get my bike together.  I think time is the biggest issue for me.  I just don't have enough even if I had the parts in my hands.  Still exploring options though.
Super Dave

SE#39

When the going gets tough -- the wannabe's go shopping.

Mark Bernard

QuoteLOL!  If I use the Buell battery tray, won't I have to use a group 27 battery?

Sounds about right! lol ;D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

251am

RC51, TL1000, any 996, and of course, ohhh my Gawaad Archie, the GSXR 1000; sell your 250/500/600/650s to buy one of these great liter class bikes. This way we can all stand at the tire trailer together and talk about who has crashed the most.  ;D THAT'S why new racers quit; they were talked into buying REALLY slooowwwww machines!! ;)  

Super Dave

Slow is only in the eye of the person that doesn't look at lap times.

I can come up with a name of a rider that did 1:15.1 at Blackhawk on his SV650.  I'd bet that it would take you about two to three years to get to that speed on a GSXR1000.

The corner is where a road racer spends his time.  An SV is able to enter at a faster speed and usually carry more mid-corner speed.  1000?  Well, I've got a lot of them that get in my way on my 600.  Get by, and I'm gone.  

Even at Daytona, the fast superbike time is only a few seconds ahead of the 600 times, which don't have the HP, slicks, full blown works suspension, etc. etc.
Super Dave