News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why do so many new racers quit?

Started by MadXX, September 23, 2003, 11:10:13 AM

sdiver68

Chad,

Just so you know, I doubt you can find 1 racer who has not had to make significant changes and sacrifices in their life to pursue racing.

If I'm done, it's because my broken neck won't allow me back out there.  But you know I'll get several opinions.
MCRA Race School Instructor

MadXX

heh. when the last person was airlifted out of BHF my wife told me that if I get airlifted she is going to sell my bike in the pits for 50 bucks before I touch down at the hospital.   :o

after two months I think I have convinced her to at least wait for the prognosis.

tigerblade

I told my mother I would quit when I've broken over half the bones in my body.  I haven't even broken ONE during racing yet... (2 on the street and 1 at school).  I've got what, like 105 to go?   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

racer960

Before I started I asked advice from a exp. racer and got the following:

money  pit

take all your money to a field and burn it, equal to racing

you'll never win

you're too old

you'll kill yourself

no wonder new guys/gals quit, they're filled with negative thoughts even before they put a wheel on the track.

let's face it, everything is a money pit.  my GT mustang is a money pit for the next 3 years until it's payed off.  same with my house until 2018...lol

i don't want to burn my money in a field so i'd rather put it towards racing/ track days/ maintenance etc...it's all about the budget!

i won't know if i won't win unless i try.  winning to me right now is finishing ahead of the rider in front of me!!!

age is a state of mind.  yeah it would have been nice if my parents put me on a pw50 when i was 4 but that didn't happen so it's time to play catch up.

if you're afraid of dying then stay in your house all day for the rest of your life...however, you'll still die one day!!!

Just my $.02

twg

This is my first full year racing.  I started out keeping track of all the expenditures and quit doing that when I hit $27,000.  That was before the second race weekend.  Keep in mind, it can be done cheaper.  I started with a new bike and every thing I purchased was new, I really could have settled for some used stuff.

I am a mid pack rider in HWSS and MWSS and in the top three in F40 so I am very satisfied with my results.  That helps keep me excited and makes me want to return.

I crashed a couple times, but was not seriously hurt.  That gave me a better feeling about the crashing part, although I know it is dangerous.

I have made some friends and developed friendships that will last a life time.  That is what makes me want to be there every weekend.  This is the only sport I know of where a complete stranger will give you his clutch plates so you can repair your bike and race.

My girlfriend (someday to be my wife) has been nothing but super great in supporting me.  She goes even when she would rather do something else because she knows I like her being there.  She helps in the pits.  She worries.  She wishes me luck.  She smiles when I finish mid-pack.

I think staying with it is easier if one has:
1. Money
2. Desire and not too big an ego
3. Support from family and friends and
4. Luck

I hope you get to do it and have fun.

stickman

Quote...This year started, and ended... in the first weekend.  Crashed, broke my shoulder in several places.  Lying in the mud in the most intense pain I've ever felt, I decided that I was done for good.  By the time I got to the hospital, the drugs kicked in, the pain died off.  The doctors were thinking I had just dislocated my shoulder... and my thoughts switched from "I quit" to "hurry up and fix my shoulder, I might be able to make the last race of the day."  ....

That's good, and it reminds me of the hold racing has on a lot of us. I low sided at VIR in August cracking 3 ribs. As I lay there in pain I thought to myself, "F-this, I'm not racing anymore." Now mind you, this was my third crash in as many weekends, and just coming back from a broken collarbone. In the crash truck on the way back to the pits, I thought to myself, "F-this, I'm not racing this year anymore". By the time I got to my pit, I thought to myself, "huh, the bike is in pretty good shape, just need a new fairing stay and clip-on. I should be ok to race next month".

As for the money, yes it is expensive. But what isn't? I look at my race weekends as my vacations for the year. I usually turn them into 3 or 4 day events. I average spending about $500 a weekend. What else can you do on a 4 day vacation for less than $500. Not much. A long weekend at the shore? No. How about 4 days at Disney? I don't think so. I nice trip skiing up in Vermont? $500 easily. Do any of these trips equal the fun you'll have at the track. No way!

But I will say, tires are a rip off. They are not worth $350. Especially since they only last a couple weekends at best.

oldguy

QuoteBut I will say, tires are a rip off. They are not worth $350. Especially since they only last a couple weekends at best.
They last a WHOLE lot longer if you're old and slow.  ;D

Super Dave

QuoteI think staying with it is easier if one has:
1. Money
2. Desire and not too big an ego
3. Support from family and friends and
4. Luck

I hope you get to do it and have fun.

I'll chime in here.

Money helps in that your expendatures rise to the level, and above, your income.  In 1993, I dropped about $18,000 on my 750 and 600 AMA Supersport program (11th nationally in 750, on a 600, Yates beat me to 10th, but he was on a Suzuki Sport GSXR750...he still rode well) in addition to winning eight class championships, a regional championship, and doing Honda Challenge Contingency races where I could fit them in.  

I always look at ways how I can do things myself, more efficently, for less cost.  Dale Quarterley was able to do pretty much anything himself if needed.  Cut his costs quite a bit.

I think some racers live in a bit more "pampered" state now.

What disappoints me so much is how some decent riders not only quit their involvment in actual racing, but they completely leave the community.  Many people that are "insiders" were racers.  Jim Allen, Tom Mason, Walt Schaefer, Kevin Elliott, and the list goes on.  

Personally, I have a real hard time doing this all myself, even though I've pretty much had to fend for myself for most of my career.  I'd just like to have a consistent traveling companion that can help me do some of the "Oh, $hit!" things that happen.

Book?  For sale?  No, not at this time.  I keep changing it, modifying it.  Some of it was geared toward rules and things.  Maybe at some point it would be more of what I feel is market able.  I really keep it kind of an exclusive thing for the ones that come to my school.  As for MA...someone was talking about renting me for a small group, but haven't heard much on that lately.  That would be the best way to get the experience and get the book...  Getting one to "do" the stuff is a better learning experience...reading it is just "ok".

Tires a rip off?  Well, if you'd like to go back several years ago, we used to use bias ply tires.  They were like $180 a set, but for the real fast guys, they could toast them in a eight lap sprint race for Suzuki Cup money, no problem.  No sidewalls left.  After twelve to fourteen years, the bikes cost twice as much, so do the tires, but the grip is really a whole lot better.  That's the real improvement in lap times, not HP.
Super Dave

251am

I just got my license in June at BHF on our BMW. Worked all summer to put the bike back together to sell and find my real bike for the track-GSX-R 1000. This stuff takes a committment, work, money, and patience. My personal opinion is that our drive- through society wants too much, right now. A lot of these folks have probably not been riders for most of their lives. They did not realize that racing on a track takes development time as a racer becomes more familiar with their bike.
  The Rick Breuer crew are probably the closest thing to a mentoring thing you'll find right now. They seemed to be interested in more than just turning out our class, and cashing our checks. One strange thing I noticed; of the 14 or so in our class for licensing, I was the only one back at the track on Sunday to purchase license and race. Anyway, hopefully I'll find time to shake my nerves off, walk around, and meet some of you folks at Gateway. MADxx- good posting, fuel for campfire.      

Super Dave

Well, a GSXR1000 is really a bad choice for a race bike, especially for an amateur.  

I think there are many that feel that amateurs should have to be limited to 750cc's.  It was that way years ago, and even in the AFM in California, they were limited to 600cc's.  That was several years ago when the open class bikes weren't so ridiculous.

I hope your program with the Learning Curves group goes well.  I have offered racer programs on my dates for about five years in the area, in addition to the advice that my students receive on race weekend about riding, suspension, and mind set.  Mind set is a big one.   I am in the area, so I would hope that the network of racers would have pointed you my way, but it doesn't happen all the time.  

The Visionsports' program has really had a focus on instructing amateur and expert racers.  I have taught the entry level programs for CCS in the past.  What we do is quite a bit different.

Good luck!
Super Dave

251am

Hmmmm, why do so many new racers quit? I have never met "Super Dave", although I loved your show and that great Evil Knievel suit you wore, you're basically judging me w/o even meeting? Where does XX say, "Let's have a talkback style forum and shred newbies for their bike choices."? How long have I/you been riding street bikes? What kind? How long have you/I been riding and racing dirtbikes? What classes have I taken on which tracks? Why do so many new racers quit? Here's one good example.
  There is a kid on another board, asgrnastheycome, who has been posting questions and polls right off the flagpole. He's new. Just got his road license a year ago. Finally, some grumpy old codgers told him to take his questions and polls somewhere else. Why?
  Why do so many new racers quit? We're bopping along having a good old time getting inot this new hobby when old codgers tell us " how it is". I believe the thread was about new racers quitting and not self promoting your business. No Dave, I have never heard of Vision Sports. Perhaps you run a Class A school that turns out great racers? Let's meet at Gateway and you can tell me why the GSX-R 1000 is a "...really bad choice for a race bike."              

badmonkey

I believe Dave's comment about the 1000 was geared towards the bike's ability to cripple a newbie, and thus them quiting. Newbie's shouldn't run anything bigger than a 600, horsepower doesn't teach you a thing about racing. ;D ;D ;D
Do you want to touch my Monkey?