News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why do so many new racers quit?

Started by MadXX, September 23, 2003, 11:10:13 AM

251am

Hmm, a BMW, at BHF in June, #251. How much more anonymous could I be? ::) I know there's a lot BMWs that run on a CCS weekend. Dave knows who I am and where I live. You folks gonna jump on this wagon too??!! Are those yellow plates for ams or eatin chicken? The fun is back in dysfunctional. I LOVE you guys.
Bike; '96 R1100GS w/51k miles, 630 lbs. wet, about 75 rwhp. Tires; Metzeler Tourance dual sports w/ 10k + touring miles. Results; Am SuperTwins 8th out of 11. ( Just noticed a Nate R finished 9th?) Is that right? First ever road race was a blast. Second race in Am MW SuperSport 29th of 32, got lapped TWICE by majority of field. Only guy not running an inline 4 600, yeah I've been trying to hide. I am a noob, a newbie, a wannabe. Come on down to the ams and have some fun K3. Speaking of fun Dave, there is a big moto party in your neighborhood next weekend, interested?  

TZDeSioux

lets all play nice because the Cubs are going to the World Series!

EX#996

7 251 BMW 108 TODD ERICKSON, JANESVILLE, WI.  

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Nate R

OK, I know who you are. You rode that BMW well. I still feel the GSXR1000 is a long way off from a good idea. But, that's my opinion.

Yes, that was me in 9th. That was my 4th event on track EVER, and you had me in the turns at that point. The next weekend I did, I took VRS, and now would probably have been able to match you in the turns that weekend if I could go back in time.  :D

Why didn't you race more this year, out of curiousity?

SD: Thanx for the compliments  ;D (blushing slightly ;))
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Mark Bernard

Quotelets all play nice because the Cubs are going to the World Series!

Woo hoo! Go Cubbies go!!!  ;)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote  The very first posting for this thread I put up was a neutral opinion response for MadXX's question. Immediately Dave Rosno picks something out of that post, a GSXR 1000, and calls me stupid.                             
I guess you would be talking about posts 44, 45 and 46 of this thread.  I went back and re-read them.  Nowhere was the word stupid used.  Dave said that a GSXR1000 was a really bad choice for a racebike, especially for a beginner.  Having been told that your beloved GSXR 1000 was a "really bad choice," you went balistic and began flaming Dave, his school, "old codgers with opinions," ect.  None of this is a flame, it is a statment of the facts.  Apparently, you were so offended by the words "really bad choice," (especially for a "beginner") that you decided to start a flame war.
I tossed you a rope, and you promptly hung yourself with it.  Obviously, you'd rather engage in a war of words than take a moment to realize that it was YOU looking for a fight in the first place!  That's pretty stupid.  (Oh, there it is!  I called you stupid!  Is it time to come firebomb my house?)  
I know how to deal with guys like you.  The worst thing, the one thing that a guy like you JUST CAN'T STAND, is to be ignored.  Go re-read MY posts throughout this thread.  They started out very nice, didn't they?  Trying to help, wasn't I?  Well, you've changed my attitude.  Now I'm just an "Old codger" telling you to "Go away."  Which I imagine you'll do if we all just ignore you.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Mark Bernard

QuoteWow.  You'd better shop carefully and bring everything you need when you come to the track.  I don't forsee you being able to borrow so much as a zip tie.

LOL! That was a great statement Chris...! I re-read the posts too and your right. He said "bad choice" not "stupid". If this guy wants to race his GSX R.... then thats his choice. Obiousley he dosent want to hear what advice has been given to him. So let him wad it up! He sounds like a guy that has to learn from "experiance" rather than listen to racers that have alot more insight and experiance riding the GSX R. But what do I know.... after all, I'm an "old coddler" riding on a Buell!  8)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Super Dave

QuoteImmediately Dave Rosno picks something....and calls me stupid. You expect someone with any backbone to sit back for a complete stranger to call them stupid.  

I never claimed to be an expert on road racing. I claim to know my limitations, my bikes, and how to handle them. I will not tell complete strangers what kind of machine to ride, race, or enjoy without having an idea of what this person's background is. That is their business until they ask for my opinion...

Well, if I thought you were stupid, I would have called you that.  But I didn't, so, you are incorrect.  You're free to look at all the posts again.

Noob...Newbie...new person...by that you are a "new racer" as per your newly finished LCR school.  It is not an insult, only a fact.

Wanna be?  Well, if you're going to give racing advice, yet we still have to see a race you did...that fits the definition.  You haven't raced, but you want to.  Looks like the results are finally in.  Don't know who you are, but you claim I do.  Sorry, I meet lots of people, and work with a select few.

This was originally a post made by someone that cornerworks and might race.  Hijacked?  Don't think so.  I am able to give my feelings just like anyone else.  The board is "free", so we're able to exchange information.  I'm lucky enough that I can spend some time here, and that I know a lot of people on here.  So, we'll go back and forth with ideas, thoughts, etc.

No one is telling anyone anything.  And even if anyone did, the person would still have to execute the action.  That's called free will.  As for a 1000 relating to someone's background.  Still doesn't change my opinion:  I know racers with a more dynamic background than myself, and I still wouldn't recommend a 1000 to them either.

It's your choice.

Back to the original though...

Why do so many new racers quit...

Jim from 4&6, THE D.O.C., Stumpy's Wife, and I and others did refer to the ego problem.  It is a big problem.  
Super Dave

oldguy

S_D, WHAT? :o You say I'm old, fat, and slow? But I thought I was the next Nicky? OK, buddy, I'm gonna' set the Guiness record for most last place finishes. No, wait, I'll just drink Guinness!  ;D  ;D

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteS_D, WHAT? :o You say I'm old, fat, and slow? But I thought I was the next Nicky? OK, buddy, I'm gonna' set the Guiness record for most last place finishes. No, wait, I'll just drink Guinness!  ;D  ;D
Fat chance, Doug!  ;D  Keep riding like you did at Blackhawk, and eventually you won't fall off before the checkered flag.  When that happens, I'm sure you won't be in last place.
And I'll help you drink the Guiness... ;)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

251am

Yup, like water off our Ducs' backs, we'll let it go. Put it to bed. Play nice.
   Congatulations Nate on your first season. Didn't race the rest of the year as it took that long to put the BMW back together to streetable and sell it. Nobody sells race skins for our Duc and I'm not into fabricating 'glass pieces yet-oil catch pan for tech.. Sold the CR500 to better finance more track stuff- thought about running that some more. The 650 single is the wife's commuter and she wasn't offering it up anyway.  Did have a blast at BHF though and do remember it took a few laps to get around you. Good luck in finding your leathers. Did you find some yet and what size are you?  
   Love ya K3. Thanks for all that rope! ;D          

Nate R

Well, if you'll play nice, I will be friendly. Now we can all be one big happy family.  ;D

As far as leathers, I *think* Jack's will work. (For my uncle. I'm all set with mine) If not, I will get in touch with you, 251.

Took you a few laps? Good!  :D I remember trying to hang with you after you passed me, but then I was starting to ride over my head at that time.

Thanx! I was only able to afford 4 events this year, but I'm hoping to do all of the BHFs next year, at least.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(