News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why do so many new racers quit?

Started by MadXX, September 23, 2003, 11:10:13 AM

MadXX

It seems that a lot of the reasons the new guys quit points to a lack of knowledge of what the sport entails.  If you go into the sport thinking its like playing MotoGP on your Playstation you will obviously be disappointed with the amount of work, time, and pain involved in getting better.    

This also begs the opposite question.  If there are so many people who do not know what sacrifices the sport requires, how many interested people are financially, mentally, and physically equipped to be in the sport but lack the knowledge needed to get started?

My wife observed that racing is not just a thing to do on the weekend but rather a lifestyle.  How could the racing community develop the people suited to this lifestyle and yet be realistic with those who aren't?

MELK-MAN

QuoteIt seems that a lot of the reasons the new guys quit points to a lack of knowledge of what the sport entails.  If you go into the sport thinking its like playing MotoGP on your Playstation you will obviously be disappointed with the amount of work, time, and pain involved in getting better.    

This also begs the opposite question.  If there are so many people who do not know what sacrifices the sport requires, how many interested people are financially, mentally, and physically equipped to be in the sport but lack the knowledge needed to get started?

My wife observed that racing is not just a thing to do on the weekend but rather a lifestyle.  How could the racing community develop the people suited to this lifestyle and yet be realistic with those who aren't?

dont really have an answer to this good question, but i know for myself that i love being at the track and hanging out with friends i have met there nearly as much as racing ON the track. I love finishing a race and pointing fingers and giving "thumbs up" to the guys i battle with on the cool down lap, and not having it be an empty gesture. These are guys i talk with later in the day, occasionally email or call, and simply look forward to seeing each and every race weekend.... if guys/gals are there simply to show up/race/pack up and leave.. its hard to look forward to week in week out.
;D
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Eddie#200

I am still feeling like I don't have all of the answers...

I do know that if there are ever new guy/gals out there that would like my help, I will offer it if I have time.

I was surprized how much I have learned in 4 years racing.  New Novice racers remind me of the diffrence all of the time. I take it for granted sometimes.

I won't charge for the help...unless it takes away from my racing.  ;)

KBOlsen

Greg hit it right on the head.  It's the ENVIRONMENT.  The sense of fellowship and community found in the paddock area is like nothing else.  I hope to continue as a racer for many years to come; however, if my personal situation dictates that I may no longer do so, I would still manage to find some way to stay involved with this "family" I have found.  

Friendship and camraderie isn't something that can be "sold" for a "mentoring fee".  I think the folks here in the Midwest do an excellent job of "mentoring" just by being the type of people they are.  Sure, I pay to attend VisionSports schools and receive ongoing support from Dave with tuning my suspension, picking my brain and helping develop my skills... but there are more folks out there than I can name who went out of their way to make me feel welcome and volunteered great advice.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

MadXX

I might have been off on my description of the mentoring idea.  I was thinking of something more like a getting started guide.  Someone to show you how to get signed up, how the day works, meet some of the people, etc...   For those who do not know anyone I think it would introduce them to some of the people in the area and help keep them from being frantic trying to figure out what is going on.  

kind of like freshman orientation at college.  Take you around, show you how the weekend works, meet some people, and answer some questions.  Not as much about how to race but to show you how to set yourself up and be involved in the community.  Otherwise you run the risk of the new person being shy/reserved and quiting because they only show up, race, then leave.

I added the money in there becuase that usually gets more people involved, however it could be a volunteer thing as well.

the_weggie_man

I've heard the saying, "The only stupid question is the one not asked".  That's what new racers need to do, ask questions. Get around the pits and talk to other racers, ask the many questions they have.

The fast racers, expert and amateur especially, they are the ones that have stuck with the program, learned and earned their place in the results. They are the ones that can help you understand the commitment it takes to participate in the sport and give advice on doing it right.

You'll find most of them will be helpful and some generous in their answers. Just don't bother them when they are busy during the race day. After the races when everyone is relaxed and bench racing is the time to get out, meet everyone and learn a lot.

Everyone has a personal reason for quitting any sport or activity. With the costs, monetary and  personal, of road racing I don't know that there is a
fix to keep racers around longer. Everything gets more expensive each year, safety gets better each year but it's still an expensive, dangerous sport and each individual has to assess their commitment and mortality at some point. Either they go for it and stay or decide it's not worth the time, expense, effort and danger and go back to what they did before racing. As MADXX stated, this is a lifestyle not just a hobby.

Also take into consideration the number of guys that go nuts on the street, watch a few races and think, "Hey I can do that". They go out and invest large in the race program then find out they're sucking exhaust fumes from all the guys out front. They don't  learn anything accept how to demolish a perfectly good motorcycle. Suddenly the ego is burst,
wallet empty or they have a large collection of medical bills. I've seen way too many guys come into riders school with all new equipment and gear only to be gone before the end of the season. I remember one guy, all stoked up and gonna kick the world's collective racing a$$ .... he never went on the track after riders school, it scared the crap out of him!

I'm sure if CCS, WERA and all the other organizations had a sure fire way to retain their racers they would all be doing it. There is no magic solution.

EM JAY

QuoteHas anyone think of setting up a mentorship program for the new racers.  They could sign up, pay a fee, and be helped by an expeienced rider.   Nothing as formal as a school but just a person who has been there and done it.  

Someone they could bounce startup questions off of, set realistic goals with, and get general help from for a while.  It could also help weed out those who for whatever reason do not have the means to continue racing by giving them the info up front and not be suprised by the cost of racing (both $$$, time, and potential pain)

It would be good for the new racer as they would know what they are getting into and help them get the right equipment without spending too much.  It would also provide the experts with a way to make a few bucks for helping someone out.

Just a thought.

I was lucky enough to have someone do just that  for me.  I had just learned to ride the year previous to this year when I started racing.  I went to the track watched the races, said I would love to do that!  Met some of the other racers and was like, this would be awesome!  Then I began to inquire on the costs...oh...I thought I could do it cheaper...maybe a bit, I had no tools, no bike, nada,  BUT...had the great desire to do  it and I have.  The two that have been the bigest influences and help to all my questions/mentoring are Andy Adler and Super Dave.  
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

Jeff

QuoteMy wife observed that racing is not just a thing to do on the weekend but rather a lifestyle.

Amen...  That's why my kids are growing up at the track (and soon to be on the track).

Both of my kids know more about bikes than probably a good 1/2 of the people who actually own them.

My wife can change my tires faster than I can, and doesn't complain when I ask her to do so.

It's definitely a family affair, and one which I can hopefully pass on and enjoy for years to come.

To that end, I don't hunt, fish, ski, bowl, play darts, golf, or just about anything else that costs money or vacation time.  I race...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Baltobuell

I think lifestyle hit the nail on the head. Most of the fast guys either own a shop or at least work in the motorcycle industry. Not all, but most. Going to the track is part of their work and getting time for it is understood. CCS motto, 100% committed.
 I had to cut way back this year because of work and family. I'm not committed enough to change my entire life for a hobby. Then the realization hits, if you don't go regularly you won't go fast, and that is frustrating. So much to the point I've looked at it like 100% or not at all, but I'd sure miss the people.

EX#996

QuoteAmen...  That's why my kids are growing up at the track (and soon to be on the track).

Both of my kids know more about bikes than probably a good 1/2 of the people who actually own them.

My wife can change my tires faster than I can, and doesn't complain when I ask her to do so.

It's definitely a family affair, and one which I can hopefully pass on and enjoy for years to come.

To that end, I don't hunt, fish, ski, bowl, play darts, golf, or just about anything else that costs money or vacation time.  I race...

Yep, what Jeff said....

At the track it is Paul, Renee (our daughter), myself and Marty (the wonder dog).

Although Paul won't let me change tires though, he is one of those that are pretty peticular about things.  

Renee, she'll be on the track when she is old enough, hopefully they will still have a class for the 125's.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

riopko

Mentors already exist. My first race was Summit last fall. I was on a vintage bike(RD400) trying to run lightweight sportsman. I was alone and lost. I was fortunate enough to pit next to Bill Davenport (a fast  amature in the MA). He walked me through the whole day, from registration to end of racing. I have made most of the southeast events this year on an FZR400. I am still slow but I have learned a bunch. Every event someone has taught me something. Show up and ask questions. This is a great buch of people that will help you if you ask. (thanks Bill)

oldguy

I got my first race bike from a guy that got married and his wife wanted a house.
I got my second race bike because the guy broke his back in a race and can't race any more.
My third bike was from a guy that moved up to a faster one.
My first race year coming up: New truck, trailer, 3 bikes, spares, tires, entries..... $64,000! This coming weekend at Nelson... Solo race $80, First race on Sunday $65, Second entry $45, third entry $35. Not counting gate fees, camping, food, gas, yadda, yadda. Add all the pressures of job & family to the money mix and you have the answers. Just my .02