News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why do so many new racers quit?

Started by MadXX, September 23, 2003, 11:10:13 AM

251am

Gosh Nate, you sure do know a lot about a person you have never met. The "bizzare" comment to Dave was an attempt at levity. Go down to the mall, find the bookstore, and purchase a dictionary. Look up levity. I have nothing against anyone as a result of the machine(s) that they choose to ride or race. I have track time on a CR500R, ZX6R, RC51, SV650, and an R1100. They are all great fun to ride on the track. What's the big deal if I would like to try something else? What is the need for complete strangers to tell other people what to ride? Why all the "I know more about racing so check out the size of my brain..." bullshit ? To everyone concerned about my safety- thank you for your concern. To everyone who needs to control another being with all their goddamned knowledge-get a dog!!! ;D Have a good week and happy laps to all the Daytonars.

tzracer

QuoteNo, I did not. I should have mentioned that. My point was that the MAIN focus of the Licensing clinic was to get you safe on the track, more so than mentoring you all the way.

Yes, that is the main focus. Mentoring takes place after the school is over. That is why we try to emphasize that any student can take advantage of our combined knowledge base for the remainder of their career. I have always viewed mentoring as the relationship outside the class.

QuoteI did not ask for help, and I'm sure you would have given it had I done so. But, the focus of the licensing clinic IS VERY different than that of VRS. Not to say the school doesnt do it's job, or that the other LCR schools wouldn't do something similar to VRS, but I believe the guy with the 1000 said he only took the licensing clinic, and when you compare just that to basic VRS, its a big difference.

Yes there is a difference, this was not clear at all in your original post. Thank you for clarifying it.

LCR does offer advanced riding schools that emphasize riding techniques to make one a safer, faster rider.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteWhy all the "I know more about racing so check out the size of my brain..." bullshit ? To everyone concerned about my safety- thank you for your concern.
Those who have been around racing for awhile have seen or made many mistakes.  Starting on a really big bike has been a mistake for virtually everyone who's tried it.
GSXR1000 = 10K  Riding gear = 2K  Tires $400-set  Hospital bills?  Unlimited potential.
The title of this thread is "Why do so many new racers quit."  One of the main reasons is that many start with a bike unsuitable for their experience or budget.  A number of experienced racers have taken the time and thought process to try to explain that to you.  You seem intent on racing an Unlimited Class bike, so good luck to you.
Don't confuse the genuine attempts of kind, careing people to help another with attempts to control your mind.  Not to be impolite, but your attitude would suggest that you already know more than any of us already, so I'm wondering why you asked your question in the first place?
On another note, you've already managed to insult most of the Midwest brain trust in the course of this thread.  Perhaps it would be wise to quit while you're behind...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Mark Bernard

QuoteDon't confuse the genuine attempts of kind, careing people to help another with attempts to control your mind.  Not to be impolite, but your attitude would suggest that you already know more than any of us already, so I'm wondering why you asked your question in the first place?
On another note, you've already managed to insult most of the Midwest brain trust in the course of this thread.  Perhaps it would be wise to quit while you're behind...
I couldn't have said it better my self Chris! Enough said!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Super Dave

QuoteGosh Nate, you sure do know a lot about a person you have never met....I have track time on a CR500R, ZX6R, RC51, SV650, and an R1100. They are all great fun to ride on the track...."I know more about racing so check out the size of my brain..."

I suppose we just all enjoy you too much....

Ya know, you made it pretty apparent that you just got your racing license...

QuoteI just got my license in June at BHF on our BMW.

That certainly doesn't make you too much of an expert on this subject.  Experience has to be something that we take into consideration, as you had to when you took the Learning Curves' school.

Can't find you in any results, 251am.  If you've got some reason for us to think otherwise, put 'em up.

And don't bag on Nate.  I think Nate's a good guy, and pretty knowledgeable.  Certainly works hard on his education, doesn't let a classroom get in his way of learning, works on his own business, and he races.

You have any more "cute" reponses for us, or would you like to play nice with everyone?  
 8)
Super Dave

oldguy

And another aspect is after you do a VRS school, you become one of Dave's kids, and you can call him any time and he will help you (even if you're a grumpy old northeasterner). I don't think you'll find a better group of people willing to help than the NC group. I only wished I lived closer.... they are truly some of the best. BIG, BIG difference in attitude from my local W**A race experience. I know more people from 1 race at BHF than I do at my local track.
Take a deep breath and try not to let this board turn into a W**A BBS. It's getting pretty disgusting over there.

EX#996

QuoteTake a deep breath and try not to let this board turn into a W**A BBS. It's getting pretty disgusting over there.

That's true.  Definately not work safe.   :-/

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteI only wished I lived closer.... they are truly some of the best. BIG, BIG difference in attitude from my local W**A race experience. I know more people from 1 race at BHF than I do at my local track.
And we luv yew, man!  Planning on coming back to play with us at least once next year?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

oldguy

You better believe it! I bought a bigger trailer and I'm gonna' bring all my bikes next year. Darn F40 rules! HW twins this time, too. Is it spring yet? We had snow here last week. What's up with that?

tigerblade

QuoteYou better believe it! I bought a bigger trailer and I'm gonna' bring all my bikes next year. Darn F40 rules! HW twins this time, too. Is it spring yet? We had snow here last week. What's up with that?

Doug,

Are you planning to hit VIR again next Spring for the ROGUE days?  If you do, don't give Dutchie that damn 954 to play with again!   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

251am

Why yes, Dave , I do have something "cute" to say that you in particular will enjoy. Using your very own straight line logic pertaining to machine choice vs. safety, tire costs, and crashing would mean that you yourself will be giving up the R6 and the SV to run in the LW stuff right? Was it your R6 that you wadded up and ended your season with? The R6 MUST be too much for a guy like you to handle-you should be running a GP 250 or 500!! What kind of foolish and stupid choice have you made Dave? Goodness, you would think a seasoned racer AND instructor like your self would know his limitations. So, you have sold the 600 and the 650 for some lightweight machienery.

This is your very own logic used against you Dave. Yours, not mine. Alot of those words like stupid and foolish are yours as well. You have judged your very own self. BTW, as far as bagging on Nate is concerned, I'll rebutt any critics if, how, and where I choose. Get a dog. Go ahead, throw out some more bait.

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteWhy yes, Dave , I do have something "cute" to say that you in particular will enjoy.           
Wow.  You'd better shop carefully and bring everything you need when you come to the track.  I don't forsee you being able to borrow so much as a zip tie.
You know, racing is a big community of folks who all look out for each other.  Parts, supplies, labor, advice, entire motorcycles, money, food and beer are freely loaned back and forth at every event.  This family atmosphere is what makes racing fun whether you win or lose.
Your exchanges during this thread have become pretty hostile, and at this point you're not earning many friends.  Knowing everyone in this group as well as I do, I'm sure that we would all be willing to write this whole thing off as a new guy feeling defensive in an unfamilier situation and lashing out.  It doesn't have to be you against the world, but it's heading that way.  
So what do you think, buddy?  Shall we all stop bashing on each other?  This is a chance to let it all go and start fresh.  Interested?