Gingerman from Milwaukee

Started by Jeff, September 23, 2003, 07:16:52 AM

Jeff

Anybody have a secret route between the two?  Last time I went 94-294-94-196

Chicago traffic totally sucks though (and will only be worse with the new BIG trailer).

Any alternate routes???  

FWIW, I'll be leaving Sussex, WI around 5:00 on Thurs.  which would put me in Chicago around 6:30-7:00...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Dawn

Jeff:

Boy....  I can't wait to drive through Chicago again with the motorhome and trailer  ::).  Paul said we should have put a sign on the back of the trailer that read:

"It takes us 375' to stop...  
... do you feel lucky today?"

Dawn   :)

KBOlsen

If you time it right... take 94 through the city (if you take the "cutoff" for US 41 at the IL/WI border, you'll save yourself some tolls too) and cut across on the Chicago Skyway (90)... then follow 90 until it picks up 94 again.

I heard on the news last night/this morning that they are going to start "deconstructing" 94 on the south side too...

Jeff... leave a little later - getting into downtown before 7 p.m. is darn near impossible.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Jeff

I'm trying to get to the track by 11 so I don't have to sleep on the access road...

I just don't want to wind up tuning the van into an accordian between the trailer and some other vehicle  :-/

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

I use Kim's route.  'bout as secret as it gets.  Tolls on the Skyway are a bit pricey, but the lack of stress is great.  Only way to go.
Super Dave

sdiver68

QuoteAnybody have a secret route between the two?  Last time I went 94-294-94-196

Chicago traffic totally sucks though (and will only be worse with the new BIG trailer).

Any alternate routes???  

FWIW, I'll be leaving Sussex, WI around 5:00 on Thurs.  which would put me in Chicago around 6:30-7:00...

Sure, you could go North to the Ferry and then South to Gingerman  ;D  :o
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

Uh, huh, huh...  He just said ferry... huh, huh..
Super Dave

dylanfan53

I've commuted every day from Indiana to Chicago (I know, I know... ::)) for the last 18 years.  There's no good route, but...
If I were coming from the Milwaukee area, I'd probably go through the city to the Skyway to the IN toll road to 94, etc.  If it's anytime after 2:00pm you'll be in traffic.
When coming from BHF/Janesville, WI area I've been taking 294 to 94.  I have seen some incredible backups on 94 westbound on Sunday night, so I'd stay off of it on Sunday and opt for the Skyway on the return trip.  
FYI, the Skyway is under construction but has been moving well, ironically, as long as you're moving with the rush hour traffic.  Friday nights can be a problem but it hasn't been too bad lately as the summer has been winding down.
There is also a short piece of construction on the IN toll road at mile marker 15 where they cut it down to one lane this week (until the 28th) but it's not been a problem at all eastbound during rush hour. There's nothing you can do to avoid it.  Don't get off in Gary looking for an alternate. :o
Good luck and keep your cool.  Some people drive with respect and know how to merge and some people will never learn.  After 18 years, it's easy to  tell the regular commuters from those who don't drive much.  
Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

QuoteDon't get off in Gary looking for an alternate. :o

LOL!  In 1991, I was living at home in Omaha.  A friend came with me to help at a race at Grattan.  On the way back, there was some kind of accident, we thought, so we eventually decided to jump off the interstate and kind of sneak by...through Gary.

There were burned out cars, some seedy looking people.  My friend turned to me, "I think we should lock the doors."  "Uh, yeah."  "But we could probably get some really good barbeque."

We didn't stop.  
 ;D
Super Dave