What causes a rider to drift  to the outside?

Started by smoke, September 22, 2003, 06:20:27 AM

smoke

For all

What causese a rider to drift outside ( to the outside of a turn?)  The rider hit the Apex and then drifted outside to the edge of the track.

What casued it ?  How can u correct it?

( I ask becasue this is what happened to me. I was told yesterday I hit the Apex of T1 on summit main on the line and then drifted off line to the outside to the gater teeth in 2 and eat pavement.)  

What did I do wrong besides crash?  How can I prevent it from happening again?

THE_D.O.C.

real speed causes a drift.

max lean angle + REAL SPEED equal a drift.

Super Dave

But geometry of the bike, spring rate, and sag can be relevent in how the bike works.  Might run wide upon accleration if the rear spring is too soft as it might not be able to support the "weight of traction".  Additionally, if the rear ride height is not correct, it might not make enough "anti-squat".

Lots of things.
Super Dave

THE_D.O.C.

true, i was kind of referring to guys who use all of the track, but really don't need it.

Jeff

If you're new to the sport/track, often times riders will apex early which causes a 'bad line' towards the outside of the track.

Try going in a little deeper and watch your exit point, not the edge of the track.

Again, there are hundreds of things which could cause this, but "fear of commitment" is real high on the list...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

smoke

I think i was looking at the edge of the track vice where i wanted to go. I did notice I was drifting but I just thought it would sit on the out side.

The last thing I realy remember was seeing the guy rear wheel and I thought ( I'm drifting but I got him) and I whacked the throttle hard.

pmoravek

Ahh this sounds like a demon by the name of "target fixation" I only chime in because I have struggled with this particular demon before.
Some of the guys with more experience can verify or deny if this is your problem.
Target fixation, as it was explained to me, is when you watch the tailsection of the guy in front of you, then he runs off the track, so you run off too.
Also...looking at the gravel trap outside turn 3, is the surest way of winding up IN the gravel trap outside turn 3.
If you pay attention to the AMA guys or MotoGP guys when you watch them on TV
(which is way too infrequently nowadays)   >:(
They are looking wayyyy up the track.
Anyway...I'm no instructor but does that sound like it will help?

Team_nuclear123

Outside of bike setup, one of the most common causes of running wide is an early turn in....

Being on the gas hard tend to make the bike squat, which will loose steering head angle, which reduces contact patch, and allows the bike to "stop steering" and push the front.

However, it doesnt sound like you had a front end slide, so I would guess that you turned in early, and then "whacked" the throttle unloaded the chassis, and pushed it wide, fixated, and ran out of room....

r6_philly

QuoteOutside of bike setup, one of the most common causes of running wide is an early turn in....

Being on the gas hard tend to make the bike squat, which will loose steering head angle, which reduces contact patch, and allows the bike to "stop steering" and push the front.

However, it doesnt sound like you had a front end slide, so I would guess that you turned in early, and then "whacked" the throttle unloaded the chassis, and pushed it wide, fixated, and ran out of room....

NO, being hard on the gas make the rear rise... this has been discussed and scientifically proven by many means... Is it me or you are just full of mis-opinions and misinformations??? I thought u did it all, WSB, AMA and everything else? why you hanging around making complaints that makes no sense and now giving wrong information?

no I am becoming a brad-alike

GAMEDIC

QuoteNO, being hard on the gas make the rear rise... this has been discussed and scientifically proven by many means... Is it me or you are just full of mis-opinions and misinformations??? I thought u did it all, WSB, AMA and everything else? why you hanging around making complaints that makes no sense and now giving wrong information?

no I am becoming a brad-alike
LOL..NOOOO not another Brad ;D
I heard a saying i think would be good for nuclear123
"It is better to say nothing and let people think you are stupid rather than open your nouth and prove it" ;D

r6_philly

QuoteLOL..NOOOO not another Brad ;D
I heard a saying i think would be good for nuclear123
"It is better to say nothing and let people think you are stupid rather than open your nouth and prove it" ;D

no I am far from Brad  :P I only say things when I can't take it anymore... But I will remember  your quote though, thats a good one.

Team_nuclear123

Uh noooooo Get a DA system , and learn how to use it.

The bike squats on accel. The weight transfers back, and the forks extend, this reduces rake and increases trail.

Why do works bikes have anti squat electronicly added to the shock?

The forces you speak of are only applied when the chain is in contact with the top of the swingarm or the countershatft position is lower than the swingarm pivot. that is why you have not seen this in any sportbikes in the last 10 years or so. It was the force of the chain drive pushing the bike.

When the suspension and bike work as they should the bike will squat when the throttle is applied, and unless that squat is controlled, the bike will run wide and not finish the corner.

Adjustable swingarm pivots started being used to control the amout of rear squat, and to make the bike turn when on the gas....

You may want to do some learning besides a motorcycle magazine....

You are always welcome to come out tune me....