End of an Era

Started by PJ, September 21, 2003, 01:27:40 PM

PJ

Anyone else bummed that the AMA 250 GP class won't return next season? Truly the end of an era. I'll miss the only "pure" race bikes on the grid, as well as their sweet-smelling smoke.

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Sep/e/n030921e.htm
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Baltobuell

Another reason to be bummed is Rich Oliver won't have anyplace but FUSA races to run his 2 stroke. The bar may be raised for LW classes there Champ. Are ya ready ;D By the way, congradulations, well done.

TZDeSioux

yeah it definately sucks that there will no longer be a national class for 250's. It was pretty cool to see our boys Mark Stiles and Aaron Rentschler on TV. Hopefully somebody picks up the 250 class in the future.

Team_nuclear123

Rich Really stepped up and showed what he was made of. THREE perfect seasons! Damn... That feat will never be equaled, and will alos go largely un-hearlded because he did it in the 250 class...

Way to go Rich, total class act, and super nice guy to boot.

Everyone shoudl try out his Mystery school as well... Its awesome!

It is sad to see the 2strokes gone from front line racing, even more so with FIM talking about making it be Motogp and then a 600 cc class...

PJ

http://www.amasuperbike.com/image/2003ama/barber/6/DSC5917.jpg

I love this image of the 250 GP podium from Barber...

PS. Thanks Doug. When are we going to see you back in the saddle? I'm going to Daytona for the finale, and couldn't help but recall our "epic" battle there in the Buell Lightning Series for 7th place...
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

the_weggie_man

A fitting salute to the powers responsible for killing the 250 class.

Rich Oliver is the ultimate professional on and off the track. Not only a supreme racer but an all around great person.  Congratulations to him on a great career.

Super Dave

I think that will be better.

I agree.

Would like to do Rich's school.  Need to do American Supercamp in November though.  

250 bikes...They are gone.  Reason:  no manufacturer support.  We could place some blame on the AMA, but if the manufacturers don't want anything to do with it, it isn't going to happen.  Really is too bad.
Super Dave

sdiver68

QuoteNo manufacturer support because there are no 2 strokes on the street in the USA.  Solve the pollution and noise problems and the perfromance of the 2 stroke will force manufacturers to bring it back.  Until then, they are dead in America.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

I don't know if that's the problem.

250 GP racing was really really big for a long time.  Then all the two stroke street bikes went away.

250 GP still remained big.  Through probably somewhere in the early mid '90's.  I think that the manufacturers started putting so much money into Supersport racing, hiring Superbike pilots to race in the originally "up and comer" class, that the support had to come from someplace.  

No longer was 250 GP the place to raise world champions.  That route was seen to be Supersport to Superbike to WSB or maybe GP, if you had the support (Honda America made Nicky's deal happen).
Super Dave