News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

GSXR 750 slipping out of gear

Started by EM JAY, September 17, 2003, 11:07:00 AM

EM JAY

My street bike, 2003 GSXR750 seems to "slip" out of gear, I noticed it in 3rd gear, closing off the throttle a bit and when I pulled it open again it was like it was in neutral?   ??? ???

Any solution?  Need more info? :-[
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

tcchin

Does the bike still shift normally, or is it stuck in a false neutral?

EM JAY

I guess it would be a false neutral, when I hit the throttle and nothing catches I pull the clutch and shift it into gear.    ???
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

lokisdog

GSXR's are known for this, as well as for backing out the bolt that holds the shift detent star in place.

Undercutting the transmission is pretty much the only way to solve it. Fast by Gast does it:

http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories/Products/SportBike.asp

- Eric
#235 Pac Region

Super Dave

Have had Suzuki's for quite some time.  Haven't had it as a real problem.  Still have yet to have any bike I've owned with an undercut trans.

Michael, try the thing that holds the shift star thingy on the shift drum.  Factory Pro makes a better shift star too.  I'd do that before I dropped a whole lot of money and time into your street bike.  There shouldn't be that kind of problem.  But the shift star bolt thing was common...
Super Dave

tcchin

Typically, if the shift star retention bolt has come loose, the bike will not continue to shift, as the star is what drives the shift drum. This problem sounds more like a worn-out gear or a damaged shift fork. Not that the Factory Pro shift star isn't a good idea - I think it's an excellent product that should probably be installed anyway.

EM JAY

;)    Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot...
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest