News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Arizona Winter Racing Series

Started by Mark_Weiss, September 16, 2003, 10:10:09 PM

Mark_Weiss

Team Arizona's Road Racing Club Inaugural Race Series

October 18+19, December 13+14, January 31+Feb1, Feb 28, 29.

In the first season, the series will consist of four race weekends, all of these events will take place at the 2.3 mi, 16 turn Arizona Motorsports Park.
The series will feature a minimum of 15 expert classes in 8 races! This series will be the richest in all of Arizona with at least 6 purse paying races, attracting the top racers in the region and neighboring states. In addition to attracting regional racers Team Arizona Roadracing Club (T.A.R.R.C.) will conduct New Racer's Schools to continue to increase the number of racers in our area.

UNLIMITED GP SERIES MAIN EVENT
With a total purse of over $3k per event, exotic equipment, top riders, this class is sure to create a big buzz!

HEAVYWEIGHT GP Ê
750s and Liter Twins dicing for over $1000 in prize money

MIDDLEWEIGHT GP
600s wow! What can you say, one of the hottest contested classes, trick bikes, big talent, and you guessed it.... $$$$

SUPERMOTO HW Ê Ê Ê
THE FASTEST GROWING CLASS IN THE COUNTRY!
Modified dirt bikes bang bars for $$$$

LIGHTWEIGHT GP
Where else can you see 400 fours, 250 two strokes, and 125 gp bikes dash for $cash$

GT GP Ê
SVs swarm or should we say thump for their piece of the pie $$$$

Please do not call the Team Arizona office for race info or questions. Next week we will release the TrackTime Raceline telephone # and date for opening registration. Series rulebook will be available online in .pdf format next week.
We wanted to get the dates, classes and fees out so anyone participating can have the dates and plan accordingly.

Fee and Purse Structure

Fees:
T.A.R.R.C. Expert Race License $65 per series.
Expert Practice sessions Saturday $55 per race weekend
1st race entry fee $65, 2nd race entry fee $45, each additional $25 per race weekend

*Unlimited G.P. Race entry is $75*

T.A.R.R.C. Novice Race License $65 per series.
Novice Saturday race school/practice $120 (one time fee)
1st race entry fee $50, 2nd entry fee $40, 3rd $30

Tentative Purse structure.

Unlimited GP
1st place $1500, 2nd $750, 3rd ? 10th split $1000 sliding scale
Heavyweight GP
1st place $750, 2nd $250, 3rd $150
Middleweight GP
1st place $750, 2nd $250, 3rd $150
Lightweight GP
1st place $500, 2nd $250, 3rd $150
GT GP
SuperMoto

We will release the registration/info telephone #, web link to download the complete rule book and any more info next week.

Years of hard work and planning finally have a result! Woo Hoo!

Mark

duc995@aol.com

I am very interested...but not available for the first race...as many CCS racers will be attending the ROC in Daytona.  I hope you guys don't misinterpret a potential lack of attendance at the first race (due to ROC commitments) as a lack of interest.  

Thanks for giving us another option to CCS!

Super Dave

Mark,

I need more information.  You guys have a website or anything?

How about tire support for your races?
Super Dave

Mark_Weiss

Sorry about the choice of weekend, it's what the track had available. Not only do we conflict with ROC, we are also up against the Willow race! I guess some local will do well in Unlimited GP!

As for tires, Dale Keiffer (Racer's Edge) says that he'll be there. He was at all four of our spring dates at Arizona Motorsports Park. We'll have fuel too, I'm not sure what brands though. The track apparently has a contract with Sunoco, we'll see about others.

There is a temporary web page up at:
http://www.motorcycletraining.com/pages/racing.html

It's pretty skeletal, but at least you can download a draft of the rulebook (I just successfully downloaded a copy). More informatin, including the registration process and telephone number, are due by the end of this week.

Mark

AZ-MilleR

Just out of curiosity, why the requirement for all racers to be current AMA members?  Is this series sponsored by the AMA?
Alan
CCS AM #613 - Southwest
'01 Suzuki SV650
2005 SW AM Thunderbike Champion
2005 SW AM LW Supersport Champion

Mark_Weiss

We've been exploring the option of better insurance by becoming an AMA chartered club. If we go this way, all "racing club" members will then need to join the AMA. If this does not work out to be a good option, we'll drop that requirement.

I'll know by the end of this week and the "official" rulebook will be out next week. I just wanted to get the draft, with most of the rules and class information up as soon as possible.

Mark

Eric Kelcher

Out of curoisty have you thought about becoming a CCS sanctioned club? If insurance is the reason for AMA charter than you will find CCS sanction could be even better plus contingency. conflict with SW region tho?

With AMA requirement a license is over $100 for a 4 race season    :o

I guess AMP has gotten there issues with sound taken care of?
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Mark_Weiss

QuoteWith AMA requirement a license is over $100 for a 4 race season æ æ:o

Unless you are already an AMA member! ;-)

We definitely do not want to become a CCS club. We want to be able to do our own thing, have our own classes, award our own purses, and set our own schedules.

Mark

Dave_Alexander

First off I'm absolutely thrilled about this new Winter racing league.

But, my first thought was about the costs.  Are the purses being provided by sponsors?  If so then great.  But if they're coming out of our entry and license fees then I'd much rather do away with the purses and keep the racing costs under control.  Actually, I feel the same way about CCS too.  I hope you're not going down the same slippery slope that CCS is, thinking that more purses will attract more racers when actually the increased entry fees just drive them away.  That's the impression I get from the way you emphasize the purses on the announcement.

My second thought was that I'd like to see a Firebird event or two thrown in as well.  Then again, I live about four miles away from Firebird so that may have something to do with it.   ;)

Mark_Weiss

Purses are coming from race and series sponsors. We DO hope that decent purses will be a draw, especially from out-of-staters, but that's not the sole reason for the prize money.

We checked with racing organizations around the country to help settle our fee scale. We are pretty much in line with most others. Phoenix area tracks are on the high end of the scale for rental, ambulance, and insurance fees, much higher than in Nevada or New Mexico. We may make fee adjustments after the first season, we will have to see how things pan out. If we are filling the grids, we may be able to drop fees a bit. Everything is  a "best guess" right now.

Firebird is OK for trackdays, but I really don't want to race there if I don't have to. I live in Chandler, 10 minutes from Firebird, it's definitely convenient, but AMP is much better.

Mark

Litespeed

Don't be shocked if there is a small turnout durign your first year.  Most of us have a set budget and by the end of the year it's pretty well tapped.  Trying to come up with extra for 4 more races, an additional license and teh other stuff needed might be difficult for some.  I would assume that if all goes well this year next year should prove to have a much better turn out.

Also, it would be awesome to build this into a ful-blown series and include the Firebird track and possibly even Arroyo Seco in New Mexico in it.  I have ridden AMP and while it is a very nice track a little bit of variety would be nice.

Xian_13

I'm plaaing on being in AZ near Xmas to visit my mother... is this thing a go?
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Super Dave

Yeah, the first race happened the same weekend as ROC.  Read some details somewhere about who did what there.
Super Dave

Mark_Weiss

The racing series' website is up at:
http://www.azroadracing.com

The first race weekend was a bit warm, good turnout and good racing!  I'm really looking forward to the races at the end of this month. One thing that I'd really like to see happen is to increase the entries in the Classic Superbike grids. I KNOW that there must be a vast number of old racebike haunting dark corners of garages, it is time to get those classics back on the track.

Mark

Super Dave

Sorry, my H1 isn't done.  Maybe by Daytona.
Super Dave

duc995@aol.com

Any more info about the AMA membership requirement?  Considering the MAJOR issues with AMA Pro Racing brought to light by Roadracingworld magazine...I have dropped my support of the AMA.  

Super Dave

I agree in a way.  But the American Motorcyclist Association does a lot of good.  They are a riders' organization...AMA Pro Racing is kind of a different thing.
Super Dave

duc995@aol.com

But as long as you have to support both with your $$ I will abstain!  Also...any organization that spends endless $$ to help people have head injuries and destroy natural wilderness areas is on my shit list!

Mongrel

No AMA membership required, that was dropped

duc995@aol.com