DUMP THE POINTS PAGE

Started by Chef, September 15, 2003, 05:14:49 PM

Dawn

OK....

The points page suck.  CCS knows this, but apparently doesn't have any clout to change this.

Does it make you feel better to complain about it?

Personally, it's getting old.

Dawn   :-/

Thingy

QuoteI've seen more people go from this sport, which is too bad.  Miss most of them too.  

What do you think?

Every year, I think about 'going' from the sport... to WERA.  If we keep paying CCS for crappy service, they will have no incentive to improve.  CCS has a big advantage because they have the most tracks.  But, the other orgs are getting better.

I think this year's decline in attendance is a partial sign that people are finally getting fed up.  

Dave, I will make sure to attend some class so that you don't miss me too much! :)
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Dawn

QuoteEvery year, I think about 'going' from the sport... to WERA.  If we keep paying CCS for crappy service, they will have no incentive to improve.  CCS has a big advantage because they have the most tracks.  But, the other orgs are getting better.

I think this year's decline in attendance is a partial sign that people are finally getting fed up.  

Personally I think much of the decline in attendence is due to the current economy.  Many people just don't have the $$$ to race.

WERA has some of the same problems as CCS.  

Thingy

QuotePersonally I think much of the decline in attendence is due to the current economy.  Many people just don't have the $$$ to race.

WERA has some of the same problems as CCS.  

I agree that some of it is the economy Dawn.  But, I do believe the crappy service is a partial factor, as I said.  

Think about it, There are a handful of things that their customers (us racers) have been complaining about for years.  And nothing has been done to improve their service.  They just keep giving the same excuses instead of fixing it.  (with the possible exception of transponders)  And it is probably not all bad service that is a partial factor.  Track time has been diminishing over the years as well. :-/
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

THE_D.O.C.

QuoteEvery year, I think about 'going' from the sport... to WERA.  If we keep paying CCS for crappy service, they will have no incentive to improve.  CCS has a big advantage because they have the most tracks.  But, the other orgs are getting better.

Dave, I will make sure to attend some class so that you don't miss me too much! :)

gotta call utter crap on that one.

SliderPhoto

QuoteOK....

The points page suck.  CCS knows this, but apparently doesn't have any clout to change this.

Does it make you feel better to complain about it?

Personally, it's getting old.

OK, one more and I'll let it go.

CCS doesn't have the clout to change it? All this about CCE not updating the site? Whatever. Either a lot of people don't know diddly about Web sites and current technology or it's a bunch of BS.

OK, the argument is that CCE doesn't feel comfortable with someone updating their site. I can see that, seems valid, I  don't like people messing with my code either. But we're not talking about code. We're not talking about some fancy integration, have you seen the results and points pages? Do they look like CCEs site? No!

CCE can create a directory and give only CCS access privelleges to it.  It would be secure, it's done all the time. CCS would not have access to CCE code or anything other than the directory. It looks like the directory already exists at: http://www.formulausa.com/results/2003

CCS already generates the HTML files. All CCS needs to do is copy that HTML file to that special directory. Believe me if you can figure out how to post on this site, you can copy that file--you could even do it using Windows Explorer. Now with one simple If statement CCE could check for the Result file's existance and if it exists display a link to it. It's that simple.

Now for the points. When they are updated CCS simply writes over the Points file in that same directory and everyone sees the latest points update.

It's not rocket science.

r1owner

QuoteOK, one more and I'll let it go.

CCS doesn't have the clout to change it? All this about CCE not updating the site? Whatever. Either a lot of people don't know diddly about Web sites and current technology or it's a bunch of BS.

OK, the argument is that CCE doesn't feel comfortable with someone updating their site. I can see that, seems valid, I  don't like people messing with my code either. But we're not talking about code. We're not talking about some fancy integration, have you seen the results and points pages? Do they look like CCEs site? No!

CCE can create a directory and give only CCS access privelleges to it.  It would be secure, it's done all the time. CCS would not have access to CCE code or anything other than the directory. It looks like the directory already exists at: http://www.formulausa.com/results/2003

CCS already generates the HTML files. All CCS needs to do is copy that HTML file to that special directory. Believe me if you can figure out how to post on this site, you can copy that file--you could even do it using Windows Explorer. Now with one simple If statement CCE could check for the Result file's existance and if it exists display a link to it. It's that simple.

Now for the points. When they are updated CCS simply writes over the Points file in that same directory and everyone sees the latest points update.

It's not rocket science.

DING.....DING.....DING...... thank you for playing! ;)

SliderPhoto

OK, so maybe they don't have someone who can write that If statement so I'll make it even easier for you.

1) Create a nearly empty HTML file that says, "Sorry, Results are not yet available."

2) In our special CCS Results directory make a copy of that file for each of your events. Name each file like you do now, the date + event name: 030201_streetofwillow.html.

3) Just like CCE does now, have them update their results page to link to each of these files. They have to do this each time you send them a file. Now they can do it for the whole season at one time. You probably just saved CCE $2000 in development salary.  :P

4) Now after an event, generate your HTML file like you do know, name it your standard way, and copy it to your CCS Results directory overwriting the existing nearly empty results file.

No fancy If statement, no extra work on CCEs part, actually a savings in effort, and you're done--instant results updates.

r1owner

QuoteOK, so maybe they don't have someone who can write that If statement so I'll make it even easier for you.

1) Create a nearly empty HTML file that says, "Sorry, Results are not yet available."

2) In our special CCS Results directory make a copy of that file for each of your events. Name each file like you do now, the date + event name: 030201_streetofwillow.html.

3) Just like CCE does now, have them update their results page to link to each of these files. They have to do this each time you send them a file. Now they can do it for the whole season at one time. You probably just saved CCE $2000 in development salary.  :P

4) Now after an event, generate your HTML file like you do know, name it your standard way, and copy it to your CCS Results directory overwriting the existing nearly empty results file.

No fancy If statement, no extra work on CCEs part, actually a savings in effort, and you're done--instant results updates.

No man, you hit it on the head, just keep replacing the same file. CCS can put bookmarks in it at the top to get to each section. Can't get much easier than that.

SliderPhoto

QuoteNo man, you hit it on the head, just keep replacing the same file. CCS can put bookmarks in it at the top to get to each section. Can't get much easier than that.

Yes, but that would require someone to know HTML and bookmarks and I don't think they do. When I first saw their HTML it had bookmarks all over that were broken and I e-mailed specific instructions on how to fix it. It did get fixed.

However you slice it, you're right, it's simple. So we're back to the argument, will CCE make this directory available and give CCS rights to change the files in it. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't, but still, if that doesn't fly CCS can make their own Web share somewhere and they can link to those files rather than a directory on CCEs site.

And I don't want to hear that CCE wont allow that either because they already are. On the results page they have a link to another site the displays race info, just like another site that could display result info.

My point is that CCS shouldn't have to rely on CCE. That SHOULD NOT be the problem. I told Kevin I could help them set this up last year but I never got a response. Perhaps KE and Tiff were simply told it wasn't possible, well I'm here to tell ya IT IS!  ;D

Nate R

WERA may have some of the same general problems that CCS does, but their points/results are up really promptly!  :-/
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

xlr8tn

Exactly...Especially in the mid-atlantic region, they race at a majority of the same tracks.  I say we boycott CCS and hit them where it hurts...their pocket book.  Give me a break, any one even running a home computer has virus protection software and regularly updates it.  The points could be managed in Excel if it needed to.  As racers, we are customer, and no customers means no JOB.  If a bank told me I couldn't get a statement on my account showing my credits and debits, I would switch banks!!!

I also remember we ran a half season before we got transmitters and still had to pay the extra fees when we didn't use them.  Did we get a refund?  Is the end-of-season party going to be sponsored by ccs?  Should be, and it should also be this year not next.

my .02