News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ok another SV tire question.

Started by lbk, September 13, 2003, 08:12:10 AM

lbk

Ok so I just purchased a set of tires for my racebike. After talking to people with SV's they said you have to go 207 rear with a 208 front. Well I just got my rear tire and it is a 208.

Size is a 150/60 rear and a 120/70 front. Are these even the correct size?

Nate R

I would get a 207GP rear. From what I was told, it is a 208 compound in a 207 mold.

Front is the correct size, but get a 160/60 rear.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

fizzer400

I don't even think they make the 207GPs any more, but you might can still find some. They don't make a 208GP that fits the SV rear(160/60). Another thing I've heard about Dunlop fronts is that they tend to chatter, but that's nothing some suspension mods couldn't take care of if you're willing to tinker. The Dunlop rears work great.

I just tried a set of the Bridgestone BT090s, and I love them. I don't think Bridgestones are generally regarded as a good tire choice for the SV, but I have no complaints whatsoever. Plus Bridgestones are much cheaper and they last longer(Dunlops last a long time too).

Most racers go with Pirellis. They are great tires, but lose grip fast and are really pricey. Same thing for the Metzelers. Lots of people also run Michelin.

Jeff
CCS #419

fizzer400

If you stick with Dunlop and are racing, better make sure too you're running the DOT race compound ("GP") and not street tires(207ZR/208ZR, something like that)! The results could be costly.

Jeff
CCS #419

Nate R

I think they're still making the 160/207 GP, as it's a 208 Compound in a 207 mold. My first 207 rear was made late in 02, but the one I just bought was made in mid 01!?  ???   I dunno, that's just what I was told by the Dunlop guy. I'm probably gonna switch to B-Stones myself next year. Anyone know how that will affect geometry of the SV?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

TreyBone

The new michelins work great for me. I just switched from the pirelli's this year, and I am faster. Plus they are 70.00 cheaper than the pirelli. :-/

Super Dave

QuoteI'm probably gonna switch to B-Stones myself next year. Anyone know how that will affect geometry of the SV?

Seems like Flintstones are usually taller at the front and shorter at the rear.  I know that this is true with the larger rear for the 600's and so on.  Front is the same.  You can draw your conclusions from there.  Trail would probably be improved if you were looking for that.  If you bring up the ride height, you'll change the swing arm pivot location and change the way the bike creates anti squat.  Can be good or bad.  Nate, I think you have a handle on that just a bit after the work we did in August.

I guess I'd be a bit leary of Bridgestones with no real network of race support.  Lots of confusion there.  Use a tire with a good history when you're learning.  Trying to learn how to redesign you chassis when you're new can be a bit hard...even hard to some experienced guys.
Super Dave