What is instruction worth to you

Started by MadXX, September 11, 2003, 08:29:38 AM

MadXX

Continuing from amatuer to ex thread...

Super Dave.  I would pay 400 bucks for instruction provided the instruction is of a high quality and there is time to practice what you are learning.  The key is what you get out of it.  If I get $400 of instruction from a day (< 8 rides would be a good step in this direction)  then I would fork it over.  

Just compare it to how much it costs to learn by crashing.  I would like to avoid that type of expense.

Super Dave

I can probably do a racer day at Blackhawk for that kind of money.  I can pay the rent, get a couple of workers, pay the daycare bill, cover some of my expenses, etc.

Under my previous schools, depending upon experience and timeliness of enrollment, the cost was an average of $200 plus.  But, I've got about 25 to 50 students to work with.

Double the cost and reduce the numbers on the track and guys that I've got to work with....should be a no brainer.

What will you get?  Hard for me to tell you exactly, as there is a great requirement from the student's stand point.  Maybe some of my kids can chime in on this.  

Crashing is expensive.  I think track days cost more.  If you do the same thing, or the same bad habbit, it just goes to keep you in the same rhythm.  Getting out gets harder and harder.  

Crashing probably will happen anyway.  Hopefully, you just do it as a minor mistake.  
Super Dave

Dawn

Paul is one of Dave's kids (Dave, my sincere sympathy  ;)).  We would have liked to go to more of his schools, but it wasn't in the cards ($$$, time of work, etc.) this year.  

What made the school worth while was not just the school itself, but the mentoring that Paul received throughout the year.  As Paul got faster, things changed.

$400.00 - fewer students and more one on one training.  Personally, I think that is fair.  Hopefully you will continue to mentor your students as you are now.

I remember looking at the line of people waiting to talk to you during your school and thinking to myself that it must be overwhelming at times.  This may be a step in the right direction.

Dawn   :)

MadXX

I would be willing to take you up on at least one of these types of sessions next year.  I've nothing but extremely positive comments about your skills and teaching.    

You hit on two things that are important to me for my first year.  Avoiding the development of bad habit and crashing.  The first can be accomplished through instruction, diligence, and patience.   The second will happen and I accept that.  I would have a very short racing career if I didn't.  My only requirement is that I refuse to crash because I don't know what I am doing on the track.  Those types of crashes are, in my opinion, avoidable and entirely unnecessary.

Super Dave

QuoteI remember looking at the line of people waiting to talk to you during your school and thinking to myself that it must be overwhelming at times.  This may be a step in the right direction.

It is really overwhelming.  Even during a race weekend, things are pretty overwhelming.  Unfortunately, as a guy that can't get out much because of a job, a business, and because of family, I just can't find anyone to help.  It's up to me, and at times Dawn, to strip my tire warmers off at the last second...(Thanks, Dawn).

Super Dave

MadXX

Dave, since I live 20 min away from you (waukesha) if you need help with something feel free to contact me.  As long as you don't mind my incessant questions.  ;D

For race weekends I am anticipating on pitting pretty much alone (with my wife helping out) so if you or anyone wants a pit buddy to help out I'll be available next year.  I have a lot to learn but at least I am blessed with some common sense.

Look me up at gingerman.  I'll be cornerworking there with the wife on the 27th and 28th.  

--------------------
Chad Berkan

K3 Chris Onwiler

And K3 to repair your crash damage! ;D  It just blew my mind that you didn't even bother to QC the thing before you went out and took a second on it!  You must have a lot of faith in me!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

QuoteAnd K3 to repair your crash damage! ;D  It just blew my mind that you didn't even bother to QC the thing before you went out and took a second on it!  You must have a lot of faith in me!

Hey, you do good work.  Should be good enough for me.  Thanks again, and again.
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteDave, since I live 20 min away from you (waukesha) if you need help with something feel free to contact me.  As long as you don't mind my incessant questions.  ;D

For race weekends I am anticipating on pitting pretty much alone (with my wife helping out) so if you or anyone wants a pit buddy to help out I'll be available next year.  I have a lot to learn but at least I am blessed with some common sense.

Look me up at gingerman.  I'll be cornerworking there with the wife on the 27th and 28th.  

--------------------
Chad Berkan

It's more the race weekends for me.  I hardly have time to work on my bike at home anyway.  I just try to surround myself with good products like the Hyperpro stuff I used this year and the help that 4&6 offered.  It's been good.

For races, I really need a person dedicated to do things that I need done.  Really, I haven't put much focus into my racing for...about five years.  The time I've had into my independent school.  I can go faster, just a matter of having some opportunity to focus.

I'll be at Gingerman.
Super Dave

Nate R

MadXX, often times I'm alone or with maybe one person. I'd like to have a pit buddy next season. And if you have the capacity to take an additional bike and stuff, I'd pay you for that. There may be a few weekends where finding a way to get there for me might be tough. I'll do anything I can to help. If you need anything let me know.

I live in Milwaukee, and have a couple friends out in Waukesha, so I'm not too far from you either.

I've done 4 events, and a VRS school, so I think I know how everything works, just not how to go real fast yet.  ;D
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

MadXX

Thanks for the offer Nate.  We may be able to work something out.  I plan on spoiling myself and picking up an enclosed trailer this winter so I should have extra room for another bike and equipment next year.  My truck only seats 3 (crammed) though so people space could be an issue if you want to bring another along.

give me a call sometime on my cell weeknights after 6pm or on weekends. (no reception at work)  262-391-0427

Chad

Super Dave

QuoteI plan on spoiling myself and picking up an enclosed trailer this winter so I should have extra room for another bike and equipment next year.

Just tell me what you want...

I work at that goofy trailer place across from Jim's Bug Center on St Paul and Prairie...  funny hours though.
Super Dave