News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I think I figured it out

Started by motomadness, September 08, 2003, 05:35:35 PM

motomadness

I think that I know why motorcycle road racing doesn't have the following of other popular sports.  

We don't have enough violence in our sport.  Our racers don't try to kill each other out on the track.  Granted accidents happen, but if we are fortunate, they are rare, but that not what most sports fans want to see.  

Ask Speed TV if NASCAR ratings have fallen, now that the sport is safer and there are fewer fights. I've heard people say now that there are fewer crashes, they watch the sport less.  I believe the same can be said of motorcycle racing.  If you are not a racer, or serious supporter of the sport, it can be hard to sustain any long term interest in the sport, "... they're just doing circles." Motorcross is popular because it every lap has lots of jumps, crashes, contact and has a strong youthful following.

No disrepresent intended on hockey, but I've heard many people talk more about the fights, then about the skills of the athletes.  

Boxing, probably the most violent sport has the largest purses of any sporting event.  Why?

The secret lies somewhere in here.

motomadness

MadXX

violence is always a seller in sports.  just look at football in the us and football (rugby) aborad.  I think however the smaller audiences of motorcycle road racing are due to other issues.  

To figure out why roadracing is such a niche sport in the US just look at the attitudes of those around you who are not sportbike riders.  Most of them either look down on the sportbike riders, think you are crazy or stupid, or just cannot understand why you would want to be on two wheels going 160mph on a racetrack. The unwashed massses cannot relate to the sport. They dont understand it.

Compare this with NASCAR.  Buy a fast sportscar and see how many people want to go for a ride.  People can relate to NASCAR becuase they themselves have the dream of driving a fast car.  

Now over the pond the sport MC perception is much different as they are a much more accepted part of society. With this in mind look at the extreme popularity of the GP series in Europe.  

Now how do we change this?  Who knows.  Better marketing of the sport may help change perception of sportbike riders and motorcycle roadracing but I really dont think it would make that much of a difference in the near future.

Super Dave

In the early eighty's Freddie Spencer's name was very common.  He was a personality.  He was marketed.  If someone that is interesting does something, then that something is interesting.

NASCAR demise?  The racers have became a bit of cookie cutter image.  They have a certain look, etc.  "I'd like to thank...."  It just gets boring.  

Rossi?  Hair, burnouts, blow up dolls, different paint schemes...That's fun...Rossi is a personality.  That makes him exciting.  Dale Ernhardt Sr was exciting.  Older, a bit brash, kind of rough.  He was a breed apart.  Nothing against his son, but he will probably never have the appeal that his dad it.  Same for the Petty's.

Although I think all these extreme sports are kind of gay (no times or anything, just point values), at least the characters are entertaining.  You can see their excitement.

Remember how Schwantz used to slide a bike sideways?  He would stand up on the bike after a win!  He was excited.  And why shouldn't he be?  This is fun!

Super Dave

MadXX

Just to ask the question due to my age and experience limitiation, how popular was motorcycle racing 20-30 years ago?  

I think NASCAR's vanilla drivers has actually helped them a bit as far as sponsership and exposure goes.  NASCAR has turned into a family event.  A lot of todays parents dont want their kids to see drivers scratching themselves, cussing every other word, or going into tantrums whenever they lose.  Its also better for attracting sponsers as they dont have to worry about potential embarassment and know they will get maximum positive exposure with minimum negative exposure.

drhyed

The AMA would crap themselves if they had a rossi type personality, from my understanding they warn against any kind of post race victory celibration, except for the occational wheelie. Yates road america 600ss last year..classic stuff if you ask me. Ive never been to a GP or a World superbike race but it seems from tv they make a large display for the fans after the race (well when the fans dont rush the track) I think If the ama got its head out of its ass they could market the sport sucessfully.