AM to EX upgrades

Started by r6_philly, September 08, 2003, 09:43:23 AM

MadXX

I have a couple of thoughts on this as a person who will be starting out next year.  It seems there are 2 problems, fast amateurs who should be bumped up to expert and slow novices.  I'll leave the first up to people who know better but will offer a suggestion for the second.

I have noticed that when people are going through school for licensing their on-track time is somewhere around an hour. (at least at BHF)  I don't think that is a heck of a lot of time to get accustomed to riding on a track.   Is there an effective way to get the new riders more track time before they can race without having to mess with the class structure? Maybe require a 2 day school and extra track time? (some hours in a Friday practice or the like)  I am thinking of something like an aircraft license where you need x hours experience to be certified to fly the plane by yourself.  Another day of school would cost more but the additional cost would be insignificant compared to the other startup costs of racing.  I figure another 150 bucks would be worth the extra training and safety.

my 0.02

KBOlsen

MadXX - Getting used to riding on a track can be accomplished via attending track days put on by organizations such as NESBA (www.nesba.com) or, for more intensive instruction, a school such as VisionSports (www.team-visionsports.com) would be the "hot setup".

If you've never ridden on the track, do yourself a favor and get some seat time in before heading out to your first race.  (Trust me on this one).
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

MadXX

KB I agree.  There are however a lot of people who do not have track experience or have very little.  Those that do are generally going at a reasonable pace and not half as dangerous as those who don't.  

My suggestion was to require the track experience before being able to race in order to be sure that all of the new people are going at a reasonable pace and are used to being passed.  Like the JR class it would give more experience to a newbie before racing but would not affect the weekend schedule as much for the rest of the participants.

KBOlsen

So what you're proposing is, essentially, instituting a minimum "qualifying lap time" before someone could be granted a license.

MadXX

KB.  I was thinking of something more like a minimum qualifying experience level.  The lap times should by default go up with the experience but so will the confidence and track presence of the individual.   There are probably fast people out there who could qualify by minimum time without even going to school but would be unsafe racers due to their inexperience on a track.

r6_philly

also posted in the other thread... sorry

then to refine the idea,for a rider to get out of the beginner class, they must finish 4 weekends PLUS able to turn a average time of within 110-115% of the winning amateur time in the given displacement class. So for a 600 that would be about 1:26-1:30 and VIR would be 1:47 - 1:51. And if we eliminate the fastest AMs to expert, it would be even safer, as lapping would not even happen at VIR in a sprint race.

As for classes. I think there should be a sportsman class, a LW, a MW and HW class for beginners. You can race one class up for a total of 2 races a weekend for the first 4 weekends. That way its easier on the racers, equipment, and keep the speed difference to a minimal.

The beginner class should be just for learning. not for a championship, for race wins, for points. So people will focus on racing basics without the pressure to win real stuff. Thats safer for them and others. If a fast beginner have to race 4 weekends as a beginner no matter what, he will be focused on riding well instead of trying win and collect points toward a championship.

WERA have PN's only they don't seperate the races. We should have the PN's run seperate races to get their feet wet and up to speed. Most of them don't race more than a couple classes a weekend anyway. Without getting spooked by fast AM's and always finishing toward the back(how would they know, or able to register early for a grid spot up front) they may enjoy it more and come back more.

AM classes can stay the same, but EX classes should more mimick the Formula USA classes, maybe with 2 classes per displacement category, and run qualifying just like Nationals do, now that we have the technology. It would be more fun for the experts, and more rewards. And for guys that runs nationals, it would be the same format, I would definitely enjoy it more.

What do you guys think? Maybe I can put it in words with Dave's help and see if we get anywhere with this

KBOlsen

It's an interesting proposition...

There are quite a few good ideas here.  Keep 'em coming!

Steviebee

I only had 2 day school, 2 day track day, 1 day school and 1 day open practice on a track before i started to race !  I was mid-pack AM the first weekend.

I only did 4 race weeknds this year im going to end up with about 700 points.  

Baltobuell

MaddX, for someone who hasn't even started yet, I'm impressed. It's great you're thinking ahead. Somehow I don't believe you're going to be a problem. Best of luck.

GAMEDIC

Some good ideas however...good luck getting CCS to listen to it..

clutch

I agree with Dafan and Arnie both.  I think that the grid should be based on practice times.  Hector cut a 1:17.somthing in qualifying for FUSA AM UNL GP.  Shiot..this was faster than some expert times in the top 6 for the EX UNL GP and there is no business for him in am.  It would pay for him to be in the ex class, but if I had not had some crashing misfortunes and nechanical problems I would probably be placed into expert next year. I can cut 28's so far on Summit and that really is the only track I can afford to race since it is close and my work schedule is so FUBAR.  Make AM a learning class, no purse, maybe reduce the contingency to half and payback 10 spots instead of 5 and make it a trophy class.  Up the purses and contingency in EX class to make it more affordable. (Tires--$340 a set..a rip in my opinion..we are paying for Duhamels tires and other Pro's who get the tire deals from the manufacturers to cover the cost over there.)  Hell, these guys run new tires all the time.  I have to flip mine somtimes due to finances.  Grid based on practice times and placed accordingly in with the rest of the times in the class you are going to run.  There is a HUGE difference in speed in AM.  Hector, Donny ect...run 1:18's in a race which is still faster than lots of EX guys in the top 5 - 10.  You are right Defan, somthing needs to be done.  

MadXX

Thanks Baltobuell.  I'll take all the luck I can get and hopefully be able to turn it into skill along the way.   :)  Now if I can just get the track schools to post their 2004 schedules...