News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Hmmm, no combined GTU or GTO?

Started by Super Dave, September 06, 2003, 09:14:58 PM

Super Dave

Seemed like it worked really well.

Um, I noticed a lack of social stress among the riders and families because of it.

However, I am troubled by the backlash of my suggestion.  Is it really so much to ask that we race during the day?  That's fine if you want to get out early if you're not a racer...don't work at a race.  Don't tell a rider that he can have his entry fee back if he doesn't like the combined races...(This was told to me by a racer when he asked about the safety of combined races on Saturday at Blackhawk...)
Super Dave

Woofentino Pugrossi

Dont fret it Dave. We still finished up the day in a reasonable time. But it seems that they are combining races at will rather than for actual need. Now if there were only 2-3 racers in GTU/GTO expert/amatuer, fine combine them. Otherwise stick to the schedule that was printed. If we did run them combined, h3ll we'd had been done and out by 2-3PM. When I started racing CCS in 99, I remember we had 3 practice sessions, started racing at noon and STILL got all the races in by 5pm.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

K3 Chris Onwiler

Running at my current middle-rear status in expert GTO, I had an absolutely unbelievable slide.  I saved it, but thank God it wasn't right in front of Benji or one of the other fast amateurs.  T-Bone city.  
I'm not thrilled when thy combine races.  As a quick amateur, I hated dealing with the slower experts while trying to win a race.  Now that I am a slower expert trying to get used to the 750 class, I hate being in the middle of the fast amateur duels as they "play through."
I understand that these things are necessary if a storm front or medivac necessitates them, but otherwise CCS should leave the schedule alone.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

Yup, agreed.  Seems like the staff takes offense when we would just run at scheduled.  

In years past, when we were done with races, we'd open up practice.  That doesn't seem to happen anymore.
Super Dave

amydiaz

As to Dave's comment about staff wanting to get done, not the case.  If there is a fair amount of riders in an ex/am race, we have always combined that race.  Like the race director said, track density is 50 bikes.  I can see both sides of the arguement, so therefore we split them and yes, everything went well.  Not all weekends do though.  Thanks to everyone who voiced an opinion.  It will be taken with great consideration next time.

As for practice, yes, if we have time on Saturday we do run practice, but it was 4:30 by the time we were done and we only have the track till 5:00; not much time for practice.  If the races would have stayed combined and went off without a hitch, then there would have been an hour and a half left for practice; therefore practice would have been run.

Super Dave

I think you were a big supporter of what we wanted, and really felt that we needed.  Thank you...a real big one.

I know that there are many of us that are given the impression that we inconvienence some of the staff when we want to run things separately, etc.  I'm sure that many racers could come up with some examples themselves.  I'm just the one that's actually saying it (I'm so shy, right?).

Yes, racers can be a bit different, but when it does come down to something that we feel is a safety issue, we only see black and white.  Combining those races has, with some regularity, caused some bad things to happen between riders that would not have normally occured.
Super Dave

Steviebee

QuoteI hate being in the middle of the fast amateur duels as they "play through."

Front Tire ,   Meet Lonny,    Lonny  Meet my front tire.

Helmet  meet Turn 1,  Turn 1 this is my helmet !!

Super Dave

Good example, Steve.

I'm sure that neither of you were at fault.  

I think the trick becomes that as racers, amateurs and experts practice separately.  So, when they are thrown together, there can be some speed overlap.  Neither recognizes what the other will do and then the falling down begins.

Super Dave

lil_thorny

i agree, also, the last weekend (BHF) is probably not the best time to get into racing. I had an unfortunate
mishap with a back-marker (Gerd the turd) which landed me inside my rear wheel and outside of T1 on Sat. Jesse Pruse and myself had lapped this guy twice and I was at fault for being too hot on a not so hot line going into T1. the newbie, unaware of our presence happened into my prefered line, not his fault...but mine. Bad decision. However, that's an
amateur for ya. I'm O.K. But back to the point....
in the long races(GT's) it is predictably unsafe racing
conditions. If CCS wants to speed things up on Sat.,
then shorten practice/lunch, whatever. The're better
ways to handle this...so thank you Dave for speeking out about this...I agree fully and it is certainly something else for CCS to consider.
On the lighter side, thanks to Stumpy, Brian Johnson, Kenny Oyen, Brenden, Josh, Mike Roeser,
and that really fast #187 (Jesse Pruse) for an awesome and safe weekend of racing. That was the most fun....being passed by Brenden and following Stumpy around was a fantastic time. Can't wait to do it again next year.
Benji. #30

Steviebee

Thingy

QuoteGood example, Steve.

I'm sure that neither of you were at fault.  

I think the trick becomes that as racers, amateurs and experts practice separately.  So, when they are thrown together, there can be some speed overlap.  Neither recognizes what the other will do and then the falling down begins.

Yep, it has happened to me.   :-/
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Burt Munro

Benji,

How many verses of the Gerd song did you end up with?  Will it be available on CD or as an MP3 soon?

Nice riding this weekend!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

StumpysWife

"He's on my left, He's on my right..."

It is available on video!!!  We have the onboard version or the live guitar/accordian version!

Ode to Backmarker will debut tonight at 7:00 p.m....100 Blemhuber, Marquette, Michigan  :D

Heather

lil_thorny

"Gerd the turd, he's on my left, he's on my right....
Gerd the turd, he's so   d a m n   BIG,  it just aint
right!"
 and that's just the chorus!!!

"i was heading towards 1 with Jesse on the run when Gerd stepped out and I knew i was done.
my heart stood still with my leg in the wheel my only thought now is the pain i will feel.

chorus.

more to follow....
Benji.