News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Trust me - I safety wired it!

Started by Burt Munro, August 31, 2003, 05:08:11 PM

Burt Munro

Anybody want to start a poll on who will be the first person at the next CCS event to show up at Tech without their drain plug wired?

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=7159

Now explain to me again why a safety wired drain plug is a safety requirement? ???

(In case anybody missed it, this is a vague reference to the AMA event at VIR today)

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

james-redsv

The guy that dumped the oil all over the track should have his a## kicked for being so stupid. I cant stand people who only use their head for a hat rack. ;)

EX#996

Mistakes happen.  Unfortunately this mistake had a huge impact on everyone.  I bet that the mechanic is ready to kick himself in the rear.

Fortunately this happened on a warm up lap and not during the race.   :o

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

the_weggie_man

I guess I haven't been paying attention lately but doesn't AMA have a final tech before the bikes go to the grid?  I know they used to have one, I worked it  many times at Road America and Daytona.  

That nonwired drain plug should have been caught!! So it's a case of duplicate mistakes, the mechanic and AMA tech if they still use a final tech.

Fortunately no one was hurt by this one.

Super Dave

I think they got rid of "final tech" like you and I remember about eight years ago.

It was a mess.  I though it was his bike that blew, but I don't know the whole story...only what I knew by being there.  I understood it that additionally, after it was picked up, the bike continued leaking oil on the track while it was on the crash truck.
Super Dave

Photo_Chick

QuoteThe guy that dumped the oil all over the track should have his a## kicked for being so stupid. I cant stand people who only use their head for a hat rack. ;)

Hopefully you will always be 100% perfect and no one will ever be able to quote you on this....people make mistakes, no one is perfect.  You know he is kicking himself in the ass over this (it was his dad) and I'm sure he doesn't need everyone else kicking him in the ass too.  That's what makes racing so exciting.  You never know whats going to happen.

Team_nuclear123

I agree that RACING should be exciting, but people not being prepared should simply not be allowed to race.

We wont even get into the 112% rule (that should be 104%)

The reality is that the rider, and his crewchief should be banned from AMA competition for at LEAST on year. The impact, both to the racing, and financial is staggering. Maybe the rider should be banned until he can repay the additional expenses he caused all the teams and riders! How about the huge impact to Speed's future motorcycle programing? "That AMA, they never can get a race run on time! Forget it, make it all NASCAR"

Its a reall bummer for all of us, and in more ways than we can directly see right now.

r6_philly

QuoteWe wont even get into the 112% rule (that should be 104%)

err that would mean a grid of 12 for superbike, 18 for supersport, 4 for 250GP, 20 for Superstock and 10 for FX.

Very exciting racing you are proposing there, a remote CCS event would have bigger grids. Not to mention the guys who are on the edge of qualifying may not even go... so what you proposing? factory rider only racing?

Then ama proracing will die and we would have no racing.

Super Dave

QuoteWe wont even get into the 112% rule (that should be 104%)

The reality is that the rider, and his crewchief should be banned from AMA competition for at LEAST on year. The impact, both to the racing, and financial is staggering. Maybe the rider should be banned until he can repay the additional expenses he caused all the teams and riders!
Its a reall bummer for all of us, and in more ways than we can directly see right now.

Ok, should we talk about when the Yosh mechanics didn't put Kipp's front wheel on and it came off of him?  Mistakes, they do happen.  You just try to minimize it.

As for 104%...

That would be fine if the factories played a role of supporting teams beyond the few that they do with special parts and support that is not available to others.  People may not like NASCAR, but there is a sense of fair play.  The teams do not have the direct involvment of the manufacturers like AMA Superbike.  So, bottom line, although Attack Suzuki is doing better, they have very little chance in winning an AMA national superbike event.  It's been ten years since Dale Quarterley won the AMA Superbike race at Mid-Ohio, longer for Ashmead's wins at Daytona and previously at Laguna Seca.  The factory teams have really ramped up their pre, in addition to during, season testing schedules...what, hasn't Mladin been to Barber three times already?

Again, although people may not like NASCAR, there are models within that system that would make the whole game better across the board.

104% would have dumped the field that was at a flat 1:29 and over.  Would have been a small field to watch.  Remember, in AMA Superbike racing, people may actually know riders personally.  Knock out most of the field and a lot of those people won't want to come.  
Super Dave

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

104%

This would be the list of guys that wouldn't have made it...

13. Vincent Haskovec, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:29.052
14. Eric Wood, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:29.236
15. Jake Holden, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:29.377
16. John Haner, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:29.440
17. Matt Furtek, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:29.782
18. Chris Caylor, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:29.838
19. Mike Ciccotto, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:29.913
20. Jeremy Toye, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:30.121
21. Chris Ulrich, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:30.233
22. Scott Harwell, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:30.489
23. Andy Deatherage, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:30.771
24. Chris Voelker, Ducati 996, 1:30.786
25. Dean Mizdal, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:30.888
26. J.J. Roetlin, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:31.286
27. Brian Stokes, Suzuki GSX-R750, 1:31.304
28. Doug Duane, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:31.425
29. Marco Martinez, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:31.487
30. Byron Barbour, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:31.618
31. Monte Nichols, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:31.675
32. Scott Jensen, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:31.744
33. Tom Wertman, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:31.931
34. Scott Carpenter, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:31.958
35. David Duprey, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:32.041
36. Robert Christman, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:32.068
37. Anthony Fania, Jr., Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:32.120
38. Rick Narup, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:32.447
39. Kevin Hanson, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:32.462
40. Chris Greer, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:32.646
plus others that were inside the 112% time...

The twelve qualifiers ahead of them...well, it wouldn't have been a very exciting race...not much sound.  

Two of the above qualifiers finished inside the top ten.

Rob Christman qualified 36th but finished 17th.

Super Dave

THE_D.O.C.

::)