News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Janklow accident

Started by mastersofmayhem, August 29, 2003, 09:51:15 AM

mastersofmayhem

This just off the wire:

FLANDREAU, S.D. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Bill Janklow was charged Friday with second-degree manslaughter in the death of a motorcyclist in crash at a rural intersection earlier this month.  
   Janklow was driving an estimated 70 to 75 mph when his Cadillac went through a stop sign at the intersection, according to a Highway Patrol report. The motorcycle hit the congressman's car, and the rider, Randolph E. Scott, 55, was killed.  
   Moody County State's Attorney Bill Ellingson said Friday that the facts of the case establish probable cause for second-degree manslaughter. He also filed three misdemeanor charges: failure to stop at a stop sign, speeding and reckless driving.  
   Ellingson said he ruled out the stronger charge of vehicular homicide, which requires the driver to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.  
   If convicted of second-degree manslaughter, Janklow could face up to 10 years in prison and a 10,000 fine. A reckless driving conviction carries a maximum sentence of a year in jail and a 1,000 fine, and the other two charges could bring up to 30 days in jail and 200 fines.  
   Janklow, who is recovering from injuries he sustained in the crash, was not immediately available for comment Friday.  
   He was on his way home to Brandon after an event in Aberdeen and a stop in Flandreau when his car hit the motorcycle Aug. 16. Janklow broke his right hand and suffered a head injury in the crash.  
   Janklow, a Republican, is one of South Dakota's most powerful politicians. He was elected to the state's only U.S. House seat last year and previously served 16 years as governor and four years as state attorney general.  

Baltobuell

How bout that! A congressmen actually got charged. What do you think the odds of being convicted and spending a day in jail are?

mastersofmayhem

This guys been around a long time.  My guess is he'll be put on probation, fined and have his license revoked.
Pretty pathetic for taking someones life.

Baltobuell

I believe that's a whole lot more than would happen to him on the East Coast. Out in the middle, I get the impression things are closer to the way they supposed be. At least he was charged.

twg

Time will tell, but I don't expect much to come out of this.

Bernie

I think he will get the book thrown at him.  Too many people have gotten away with similar offenses.  I really believe there has been a ground swell against careless selfish acts that senselessly kill others.  Certainly, contempt for politicians who feel they can act with impunity is at a high point in recent memory.  

If he does get off, I bet some folks who travel to Sturgis every year might be keen to see him somewhere and have a few words with him.

Photo_Chick

I think he'll get the book thrown at him too.  AMA is on top of it as well and "encouraging" the system to basically make an example of this dude.  He needs the book slammed at him thats for sure.  You kill someone by neglect, that should be all it takes for life.

Steviebee

dont worry .  After he spends thousands if not millions,  he wont step foot near any jail !!

They prolong it for another 4 years, heck i bet George gives him a pardon when he leaves office.  

Thats what usually happens !!

Eric Kelcher

Thousands if not millions of taxpayer dollars, no doubt.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Photo_Chick

I think theres been too much media coverage for him not to see any jail time