News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Alive and thankful!

Started by StuartV666, August 27, 2003, 02:10:17 PM

StuartV666

Howdy gang! Sorry it's taken so long to get on here. I'm staying at my girlfriend, Kathy's, since I got back from B'ham and she doesn't even have a PC, much less Internet access. I started back to work on Monday, after my doctor's appointment, but I've been so swamped here, this my first chance to read up on the BBS and post anything.

THANK YOU so much to a long list of people: the corner workers and EMTs that took care of me at the track (PJ!), Art, who came over to talk to me while I was laying in the track being worked on, Ike's Mom, who came to talk to me while I was waiting to go into surgery (and Ike, too - we hollered back and forth a bit from our gurneys), all my racer friends that called, visited and posted here, Charlotte Meyers (William's Mom) - your card was the second thing about this to make me tear up during all this - it was SO nice), all my Floribama Rider friends who called and came to visit in the hospital, all my friends that helped Kathy get all my stuff loaded up into my truck and trailer. The list is incredibly long and it has made me feel so good to know that I have so many people out there who care. THANK YOU ALL!!!

Most of you have you have probably heard the basic story. I was a dumbass 2 different ways on Sunday morning. First, I checked my gas before I went out and knew I was low, but thought I had just barely enough to run the race and the cooldown lap. That was mistake #1. On the last lap of my race, I had about 3 turns to go to the Finish line and the bike started to sputter on the brakes. I thought "it'll make it, it's not that far" and kept going. That was mistake #2. I *should* have pulled off the track and parked it, but I didn't. I got around to the front straightaway and had the Finish line in sight, but the bike was really sputtering bad and I was going a lot slower than the guys who were now passing me from behind.

Until one guy didn't pass me. He plowed right into me from the right rear. I was probably going around 50 and he was probably going somewhere over 100. I know who it was and I don't fault him at all, so I don't see any reason to post a name. I was putting my hand up and trying to stay off the line, but I did lower my hand momentarily to downshift and try to keep moving. Like I said, I should have pulled off the track completely before I got to where I was.

I went up into the air and, apparently, landed right on the top of my head. My helmet had a perfect circle of broken fiberglass about 6" in diameter right around the crown of my head where it appeared to have caved in and then popped back out, and there's a large, black asphalt mark all around about 1/2 the circle. Kathy said she could see a red mark on my scalp through my hair the next day. Amazingly, I had no head or neck injuries or even pain. People keep telling me, no sense, no feeling. :-)

My net tally was:

Broken tibia (9 pieces) and fibula (5 pieces) (lower leg)
3 fractured ribs
punctured and partially-collapsed lung
fractured wrist
broken clavicle (collarbone)

All on my right side.

(to be continued)

StuartV666

(part 2)

The leg is definitely the worst part. It was an open fracture (i.e. bones sticking out through the skin). The rest is fairly mild. No pain at all from the ribs or lung or wrist. Only soreness in the shoulder from the collarbone. And the leg doesn't even really hurt. But there was some muscle damage in the leg and, at the moment, I cannot tilt my right foot upwards - only down and side to side. Only time will tell if I'll get any of that upward movement back. The wrist was a non-displaced fracture, meaning there is a crack in one bone, but nothing is out of place. They have now put it in a cast just to make sure it stays non-displaced. The cast on the wrist should come off in 2 weeks.

They put a Ti rod and screws in my leg to hold it all together. Yeehaa! Aftermarket upgrades! :-)

I was in the hospital from Sunday until Thursday. Tuesday they put a tube in through the side of my chest to vacuum out my chest cavity and re-inflate my lung. Thursday they pulled the tube, waited 4 hours to x-ray my chest, then discharged me. I got home (to Kathy's) late Thursday night. She has been absolutely incredible through all this and is still taking total care of me.

I had my first local doctor's appointment Monday morning and everything looks good. I came back to work Monday right after the doctor's appt.. The cast on my wrist makes typing just a little awkward, but I'm probably at 90% of my usual speed there.

I took my last percocet on Monday night. I have more, I just don't need them. I took a couple of ibuprofen today for my shoulder, and that's the only meds I've had in 2 days. The wrist and shoulder are good enough that I can wheel myself around in my wheelchair without any help. I'm hoping for crutches and starting on limited use of my right leg after my doctor's appointment next week. We'll see...

I don't see any way I'd be back out on the track this season, and depending on the muscle damage in my leg, maybe never. I don't want to be out there if I don't have at least moderate control of all my appendages. Even with the worst case on my leg, though, I should be back to at least street riding before long.

Oh, and RRRBrat1, I don't remember the issue with the glove. Were you worried about cutting it off of me or something? They completely cut my leathers off me and you know what? I don't care! I am really just so happy to be in as good shape as I am and to have such great family and friends looking out for me.

Thank you all again!

Ike, sorry about leaving my sh!+ in your way, buddy. I'll try not to do it again. I hope you heal up 100%. I'll look forward to actually meeting you in person some time.

- Stu

r6_philly

Hey Stu, so very glad to hear you tell your story yourself. We have heard a lot about what happened, but I keep hoping to hear you come here and post up, at least we would know first hand that you are ok. I guess that drink at daytona is going to be on hold.

I do hope you heal fast and completely. My little injuries stopped me a grand total of 4 weeks off my bike, I don't think you going to be able to resist the temptation for too long  ;)

I guess I won't see you again anytime soon, so best of luck to you and your injuries, and definitely hoping to race you again, if not this year, next year, or whenever.

TreyBone

Good to hear from ya Stu :D :D.  I hope you will at least come and see everyone else race for the last race of the season in VIR. Just call me if you need anything. You know how to get the number.

Steviebee

KBOlsen

Stu... it's SO good to see you back and posting!  I hope your recovery continues to be speedy - and complete. ;D ;D
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Dawn

Welcome back Stu!!!!

Dawn   ;D

6Rjunkie

It's good to finally see you posting. We were relieved to hear you would be ok after the accident. My dad tried to talk to you on the phone the day after but you seemed to be destracted with all of the doctors and probably the drugs too. ;D

Your bike was the first thing I reconized coming out of the final turn and my heart dropped when I saw all of the debris scatered everywhere. I saw Ike trying to move when I passed by but I never saw you and then I really started to worry.

Everyone in Charleston was thinking about you and we hope you make a quick recovery.

-Matt Huber and family

buffy

Hey Stu
It is great to hear from you!!! We are all glad you are on the road to recovery...just no bouncing like on the road at Barber...I have something that belongs to you can you email me and let me know where to send it. My best wishes and prayers are with you.
 Jenny
CCS SE/MA scorer
jennycavl@yahoo.com

DanO966

Well glad to hear you're on your way to recovery
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

xlr8tn

Good to read your post and see your ok.  Glad to see you are back at work.  Hopefully that will help you focus on something other than the crash.  Keep in touch and let us know how your progressing through the recovery period.

-brent
CCS #565

MightyDuc Racing

Stu...it's outstanding to see you back on here posting.  I'm glad you are starting the healing process already.  If there's anything we can do down south here, just let us know.  Get well soon! ;)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Peanut

You were right on time about starting to get around! ;D You'll be fully back in no time.  ;)

Good luck with the recovery!

Nut
BTW..I have a couple of pics of me & you battling @ Barber, give me a shout if you want to see them....

K3 Chris Onwiler

You've got one hell of a sense of humor about the whole thing!  Glad you'll be all good.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Photo_Chick

Stu, glad you are back, you both gave us quite a scare. Heal fast!

tigerblade

Best wishes on your recovery!   :)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

TZDeSioux

I don't know you nor was I at Barber but boy do I hate hearing about racers getting hurt. I'm glad to see that your spirits are up and I hope you fully recover soon. Take care.

Jeff

God bless you my friend...

Call up Gordy if you have a need!  We just raised $17k for Wegman ;D
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

SE#39

Stu -- after reading your account of the wreck -- you are a lucky .......

Evidently the good lord was not ready for you and the devil did not want you.

StuartV666

QuoteEvidently the good lord was not ready for you and the devil did not want you.

Heh heh. Well I'm glad of that! :-)

Thanks again to you all. It really is cool to experience firsthand what a racing "family" I have. I'd rather have just had Xmas presents ;-), but I'll take what I can get. :-)

- Stu

Chef

QuoteDuude..... im glad we are both here to discuss this now!!!

glad you're gonna try and come down to the ROC and hang out for a moment or so, like the rest of us racers   ;)

Ive heard recently that "sht happens to people".....
and also that the things that happen arent what define people, but how they RESPOND TO the things that happen.....

i think its safe to say that we are both well on our way back to the grid (  ) by the way we're responding...
thumbs up, chin up....

It IS really great to have all of the support and well wishes from everyone...

Well, Thanks Again, Stu... Sorry again, Heal up, Lets get back to the track!

Keep your head up, it's just a matter of time...
(thats really for me, I get frustrated sometimes missing the track)  ;D

Forty

Cant thank EVERYONE enuff! it's amazing how different it feels to say to someone "Our prayers and well wishes are with You"...
compared to how it feels when everyone says it to you... Huge Contrast!.... ;)

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

tzracer

Glad to here that you are going to be OK and in good spirits.

Don't beat yourself up over making mistakes (your opinion). I tell my students that mistakes are Ok as long as you learn from them.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

GAMEDIC

Hey Stu glad to see you back...

sdiver68

Glad to hear everything looks promising :)  The nurses told me when you and Ike came in and I was trying go visit both of you, but they wouldn't give me a wheelchair :(  Best wishes on a strong recovery!
MCRA Race School Instructor

StuartV666

QuoteDuude..... im glad we are both here to discuss this now!!!

Right on, Brother!

BTW, please tell your mom I said thanks for coming over to talk to me while I was waiting for surgery. My g/f had gone back to the track at that point, so I was all alone. I really apreciated her coming over, and also letting me know how you were doing.

- Stu

Chef

Done...

but ellie is a friend, Team Manager/ Captain, sharing duties with Lonette (the other lady with Network racing)

CANT get Mom to the track,, She's a wimp (good thing my Dad was around to help raise me, I'd probably be Twice the wimp i am now)

Ike
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

StuartV666

Oh. Sorry! I thought she said she was your mom. I was kinda distracted at the time...

;)

Chef

She's Cool.... laughed when she heard it  :D

main thing is that we get our butts back in gear !!!

(follow me?)

Photo_Chick

I'm just glad you both are back and ready to raise some cain!

clutch

Good to see you are back and heal quickly would ya. :)

racer387

Glad to hear that things are going well, considering.  I hope that both of you recover quickly and are back on the track soon.  Look forward to seeing you in the future and were happy to hear that the man upstairs felt you guys still had unfinished business down hear.  take care!