How do you change a ZX-6D to GP shift?

Started by Dawn, August 25, 2003, 06:24:41 AM

Dawn

Normally I would just flip the dog around, but there isn't enough room, any ideas?

Dawn   :)

tigerblade

So the stock lever uses a linkage and doesn't work directly on the transmission?  For the RC, you just get a Blackbird/VFR shifter which takes the linkage out of the equation.  Might be a similar fix for the Kawi?
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

mdr14

Back in my day when I actually used to race one, we never did come up with a way to reverse the shifting.

I just got used to regular shifting, which on a track like BHF puts you at a disadvantage through the back section...

So in other words, I'm no help, but good luck
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

Dawn

QuoteBack in my day when I actually used to race one, we never did come up with a way to reverse the shifting.

I just got used to regular shifting, which on a track like BHF puts you at a disadvantage through the back section...

Darn...

That's what I kinda thought.  

Thanks for the info.

rick

I'm fairly certain that the shift assembly from an Kawasaki EX500 will let you use GP shifting on that bike but I'm not absolutely positive.

Super Dave

Seems like on the ZX6E I cut the sprocket cover to give me room to flip the thing.  Don't remember what a D model set up looks like.
Super Dave

Dawn

QuoteSeems like on the ZX6E I cut the sprocket cover to give me room to flip the thing.  Don't remember what a D model set up looks like.

Himmmm......  I have a ZX-6E at home too.  I will have to look at the differences between the two.

mdr14

Now mind you its been almost 10 years since I raced the "D" model, But I thought we had frame clearance issues when we tried to flip the arm around for GP shift.... Does that seem to be the case?
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

Super Dave

Super Dave

EX#996

I cannot just flip the dog around on both my 93 ZX-6E and my 91 ZX-6D.  The frame for the side stand is in the way.   ::)

Oh well....

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

Ok, now my memory is starting to come back...

I had Muzzy rear sets.  Seemed like we rewelded the shift lever so that it could be done, in addition to cutting something out of the sprocket cover...but that might have been an FZR for the sprocket cover...
Super Dave

balistic

QuoteNormally I would just flip the dog around, but there isn't enough room, any ideas?

Hi Dawn
              What I did was get a second shift arm cut off the lower part ( spinned with the bolt) and welded it to the original. then use the new piece on the shift shaft and it clears so you can turn it over.