Oldguy, not Slowguy.

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, August 25, 2003, 03:11:59 AM

K3 Chris Onwiler

So Doug showed up at Blackhawk this weekend and was running 1:20's by Saturday afternoon.  For a "Geezer" first year racer who'd never seen the track before, that's outstanding!  How'd you do on Sunday, Doug?
It was cool to have you there!
K3
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dawn

Doug:

I really enjoyed the time that we had sitting and talking on Friday evening.

Dawn   :)

StumpysWife

Hey K3--Oldguy had a pretty bad wreck on T1 on Sunday in HWSB.  He's ok, but I'm not sure about the bike.  I saw the whole thing of him sliding like a maniac down the front strait and finally stopping when he hit grass.  I'll let him tell the story....it was a scary sight!

Heather

oldguy

Thanks for your help Heather. I finally made it back to work after getting in at 5:00am this morning. I'm OK, but the bikes not.
I really want to apologize to the guy I punted in T1 and hope I didn't cause any damage. The cornerworker couldn't tell me if the guy that went off in the grass was the one I hit or the guy behind me avoiding me. In retrospecct I'm sure it was target fixation and he braked and I didn't (enough). PM me to discuss if you want.
K3, it was a great race introduction weekend. I have to say the mid-west racers are some of the nicest people we (my son & I) have ever met. You are some fast dudes and the track was a real treat. A super facility and the Brats were the finest I've ever had. Well, actually, they were the first ones I ever had. Now I suppose all the rest is down hill.
BHF has great staff, and I was proud to be a part of the Wegman fund record. If Rhiannon doesn't have a duplicate of the shirt, I'll send it to her on her 35th birthday.
Thanks again to everyone who made our weekend  most special, and one of lifes treasured memories. Apologies to those that may have been frustrated by my incompetence and especially the guy I hit.
If any of you are ever in the NW PA area and need anything, give me a call. BeaveRun is a brand new track here by Pittsburgh and you guys would really like it.
Thanks again to everyone, and I hope we meet again!
Doug

StumpysWife

Glad you made it to work today!  Jeeeeez!  Really, I'm glad I didn't recognize you right away or I might have flipped over the back of the bleachers.  

Poor little RC.  Next time toss rose petals on it Saturday morning--works every time.  ;)...

Well I hope you can make it over again at least once next year.  We had fun hanging out with you and your son.

Take care,

Heather  

Eddie#200

I saw times posted @ 1:13 during the Formula 40 race.  Old guys aren't slow!

KBOlsen

Old, schmold!

Doug, it was nice meeting you and getting to match a face with a screen name!  Seems like you were having a GREAT weekend all the way up to HWSB.

Hope your plans will include the Midwest again next year. ;D
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Super Dave

Nice job, Doug.  You both did pretty well.  Wished you would have done the gearing change a bit earlier, but it did work out.

Remember to keep pounding me for info...schooling never stops.
Super Dave

Eddie#200

QuoteNice job, Doug.  You both did pretty well.  Wished you would have done the gearing change a bit earlier, but it did work out.

Remember to keep pounding me for info...schooling never stops.

Dave is right!  I have started to run in the low 1:15's looking for faster still...  Dave? ;D

Super Dave

Still waiting for you to measure your rear shock length... ???

Sometimes, things are in the hands of the student.  I just say what I know, and the rider has to execute and answer questions.
Super Dave

Burt Munro

Hey Doug!  I had read K3's posts here about you and your son coming in for the weekend.  I thought the whole thing was really cool.

Sorry about the way I met you though -  I was the cornerworker who helped with your bike at turn #1!
Would really have preferred that I my meeting you had been under other circumstances!!  as I'm sure would have been your preference too!!!

I have to say though that your body surfing across the asphalt got '10's' for style points from everyone who saw it!

You kept a great attitude about how things came out - especially your concern for the other rider involved!

It was great seeing you out there and hopefully you'll be right back on the track.  You did give me a little boost about following your example about doing the things in life that you really want to before it gets too late!  

Glad you had a great (almost perfect) weekend.

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

oldguy

Thanks for the kind words, Rick & Kim. I had a grat time, and I will repeat, you mid-west people are the coolest bunch I know. Up until the Wegman, I had only done track days, but there is a different attitude among racers. I tried to help anyone with whatever I could, and in turn they helped me with anything I needed. Nobody locked anything up even though hundreds of thousands of dollars of valuable equipment was all over. Where else can you do that? There were a lot of class acts at BHF, and like I said, it will be a memory I will cherish forever. My son said on the way home that it was kind of special to be the only licensed road racers in our town.
K3, it was a privilege to be invited to such a GREAT event. I would be honored to attend next year.
Too bad nobody got a video of my crash.... I'd really like to see that one.
And WOW, can that Stumpy fly!!! I told him I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. I also tried to talk Stumpy's Dad into giving this a shot. After all, he is 7 years YOUNGER than me.
I still haven't recovered from Super_Dave in a bikini....I'm glad I retracted my bid to have K3 put it on. (That was a close call).
To the cornerworkers............. Kudos to you all! And to Rick, a special thank you for helping me pull that pig out of the way. Those ruts are deep. Special incentive to stay out of the weeds.
Until the next time..... thanks for a great weekend!