Banquet Questionaire

Started by TiffineyIngram, August 22, 2003, 01:35:36 PM

TiffineyIngram

Howdy all!  A fellow racer emailed with a couple of really good ideas, and I had a few questions for you Midwestern guys and gals...

1.  Since we planned the banquet to coincide with the motorcycle show in Chicago, how many of you (or people you know) went to the show that weekend?  Was it worth planning them together?
2.  I believe a sit-down dinner would be best for banquets from now on, but perhaps at an interesting place.  Obviously, sit down dinners will cost more than appetizers (sp?).  What is a banquet dinner worth to you?  $20?  $30?  $40?
3.  The girls and I were talking, and we think the banquets should become a more formal affair.  Would raising the dress code to "dress apparrel" or "semi-formal" be appropriate, or should we stick with the "business casual" approach?
4.  We've also come up with an idea of having a DJ for the "after-awards" fun.  What do you think of making it an evening of dinner, dancing, and awards?  Don't attack me yet, I'm just throwing it out there.

This is your chance to put your thoughts into motion!  Your imput would be greatly appreciated!

KBOlsen

I like the idea of a sit-down dinner followed by an awards presentation and dancing. :D  I never get to dress up any more!

The only downside of having it in Chicago would be the expense.  An event on the same scale in Rockford or Milwaukee would surely be less expensive.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

OmniGLH

Well, the reason myself, along with several others, enjoyed ourselves so much last year, is that it WASN'T some stuffy awards ceremony.  It was also nice that it was at a casual bar in Chicago - gave us the opportunity to meet up with fellow racers, chat/bench race, have a few cool ones, and then hit the clubs.

I'm sure it also adds to the attractiveness of the event to hold it downtown... people who come from a ways away can go see the sights, etc.  Rockford is a sh!thole.  Not to mention holding a nice banquet there (if formal is the direction you want to go) would be a joke... Rockford's idea of classy is Applebee's.  As for Milwaukee - I don't know anything about Milwaukee, that'd probably be ok - tho isn't it not as centrally-located as Chicago?

My vote?  Downtown Chicago again.  Keep the dress code biz casual.  I don't know about you guys, but I don't exactly think of "fun" as a suit and tie.  Don't necessarily have to hold it at a sports bar, but don't hold it someplace that is champagne-and-caviar either.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote.  Rockford is a sh!thole.  Not to mention holding a nice banquet there (if formal is the direction you want to go) would be a joke... Rockford's idea of classy is Applebee's.

HEY! I resemble that statement! I live in Rockford, and I ate at Applebee's tonight!  ;D
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote Rockford is a sh!thole.

Apparently Jim has never been to Janesville. ;D This town SUCKS A$$ big time.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

GSXR RACER MIKE

As far as downtown Chicago goes, everything is so expensive - parking, taxi's, hotels, tolls, mass confusion in trying to get around, traffic jams, etc. If it were in the Chicago area I don't think downtown is really the best situation, I think the 'burbs would be better.

I personally think that the awards presentations should be somewhat formal, I mean this is the climax to a seasons efforts, not just another night out to eat. I don't really care so much about the extent of formalness, but at least have it at some place somewhat respectable.

Just my opinion!  ;D

K3 Chris Onwiler

Tiffany, I put a folder of information on a possible site in the CCS package from Blackhawk this weekend.  It is called the Clocktower Inn, and is located in Rockford.  I took a quick walk around, and it is just as nice as I remember it.  We could spend a weekend there and never have to leave the premises.  (Unless, of course, hanging with the CCS crowd is too boring for some folks.)  Many folks I have talked to think that it would be an excellent choice.
I worked a booth at the motorcycle show on the day of the banquet last year, and saw about a dozen CCS people.  For my preference, it would be held on a different weekend, so I could be free to relax and not be working for my sponsors Saturday and Sunday.  Also, I totally agree about hating the expense, hassle and confusion of Downtown Chicago, and I pretty much live there!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Jeff

My $.02.

Sit-down meal 100mi radius of Milwaukee

Awards.  Any chance of changing these?

My personal thought would be every class and region 1st place gets trophy while 2-5 receives a single plaque with all the individual's accomplishments.

i.e.  If I had 1 1st place class, 5 2nd's and 3 3rds, I'd get 1 trophy, and one plaque with the class listings and finishings for the 2nd's and 3rd's...

I don't know what the cost on this would be, but can't imagine it to be immense.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Merk

I vote to stay away from Downtown Chicago.  I'm sure there are nicer facilities there, but in my oppinion that doesn't justify the additional hassle and costs.  I would prefer something in Milwaukee or at least in the Chicago burbs.  Rockford would also be better than Downtown Chicago.

By the way - what do you get for a regional class championship?  Trophy, plaque, pat on the back??  How about if you win the same class in multiple regions?

tzracer

I prefer the banquet with a sit down dinner. I think people should be allowed to dress as they like.

Downtown Chicago is too expensive, too crowded and too little parking.

I agree with Chris, having the banquet the same weekend as the bike show is great unless you are working at the show. I would like it on a different weekend than the show.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

K3 Chris Onwiler

Last year, regional championship trophies consisted of a small stand with a rider aboard a sportbike mounted to it.  The bike was about 1/8th to 1/12th scale.  You recieved one for each class and each region you earned a championship in.  Very elegant.
2nd through 5th was a certificate straight out of the laser printer.  Not very elegant.  I agree that it would be neat to have your 2-5 combined on a plaque.  At least it won't turn yellow!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

KBOlsen

The regional tropies from last year are the COOLEST trophies I've ever seen. :o  "Elegant" is the right word!

the_weggie_man

Downtown Chicago - No.

Dress code - No.

Sit down dinner - Yes.

DJ - Really doesn't matter to me.

Chicago bike show weekend - Doesn't matter either but I agree with the guys that have to work the show. It is an inconvenience for them.

IMHO, the banquet doesn't need to be a formal affair but does need to be a proper celebration and honor for the racers who have worked so hard and spent so much to achieve  their championships.
They deserve the respect in a proper setting for their achievments. There is plenty of time for bench racing, partying before and after the dinner and awards.

EX#996

QuoteI vote to stay away from Downtown Chicago.  I'm sure there are nicer facilities there, but in my oppinion that doesn't justify the additional hassle and costs.  I would prefer something in Milwaukee or at least in the Chicago burbs.  Rockford would also be better than Downtown Chicago.

I also vote to stay away from Chicago.  When I have to travel through that town my blood pressure just rises through the roof!  Aaarrrrggghhhh  (I think they got all the extras from the Mad Max movies from there... j/k  ;) ;D)

I'm so dang cheap, but I would pay $30.00 for a dinner for this type of occasion.

No dress code please.  Everyone will know what this event is for and allow them to dress and be who they are.  

A DJ could be fun....   although hopefully I won't be caught on any video's.   :o ;D

Dawn   :)

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

QuoteDress code - No.

Sit down dinner - Yes.

DJ - Really doesn't matter to me.

Chicago bike show weekend - Doesn't matter either but I agree with the guys that have to work the show. It is an inconvenience for them.

IMHO, the banquet doesn't need to be a formal affair but does need to be a proper celebration and honor for the racers who have worked so hard and spent so much to achieve  their championships.
They deserve the respect in a proper setting for their achievments. There is plenty of time for bench racing, partying before and after the dinner and awards.

I agree there...

I liked doing it during the Chicago Show...  Can't be during the Indy show...that's the weekend after.

DJ...I already know I have moves...people have the pictures to proove it...LOL!
Super Dave

tshort

My $0.02:

1. Location:  Lake Geneva, WI.  This is near the Illinois border, and a lot of Chicago people spend time there during the summer.  There are several banquet facilities there.  More info: http://www.lakegenevawi.com/  

2. Dinner format:  sit down I guess is the way to go. Lake Geneva facilities will be on a par with whatever you did last year in Chicago, and I suspect will be somewhat more reasonably priced (I'd personally be happy if we hired out a good down and dirty pub and put a garage band on a riser, and let the beer flow for free... but that's just me...  :D).

3. Awards:  Well, when I started this season I didn't know what the heck I was spending a small fortune on, and then found myself rising up in the regional points.  I assumed that placing anywhere in the top five would result in some kind of hardware - certainly a step up from any of the plaques that are stacking up around here.  Certificate?  CERTIFICATE?  I certainly hope not - we've spent waaay too much time and money chasing all these double points and twin sprint weekends just to make sure we finished well for the year.  

Aren't ya glad ya asked?? :o
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Super Dave

QuoteMy $0.02:

1. Location:  Lake Geneva, WI

I assumed that placing anywhere in the top five would result in some kind of hardware - certainly a step up from any of the plaques that are stacking up around here.  Certificate?  CERTIFICATE?  I certainly hope not -

Wow, Lake Geneva would be cool.  Shania Twain has a place there...She could come.

Certificates for anything less that the championship...yes.  There is a cost involved, and I don't want my entry fees going up any more.  As for plaques...you can redo your kitchen floor in early 2003 CCS... 8)
Super Dave

Eddie#200

Dress code= yes (Come on guys it's our banquet at least make it no jeans.) :-/

Suburbs of Chicago = yes ;D

During the Motorcycle show = cool ;D

Sit down= yes (you can always mingle at the bar) ;D

TiffineyIngram

Tshort--that's pretty much what I did last year...didn't go over well.  I am starting a new survey, and the results are due and final by Thursday 5pm.  I've secured a couple of really cool places, and I've got to know what you guys (and girls) would like to do.

Kim Berg-Olsen has had the greatest attitude towards this banquet, and I want to give her a big thanks.  I believe one dress up night won't kill anyone.  Not a tux thing, but a night where us girls can wear a really girly dress for once and dress our guys up as well!  Let's try the dressing up thing one time, and if you don't like it, we'll know better for next year.
 ;)

Dawn

Well .....

Paul doesn't even own a suit and I'm not going to buy him one just for one occasion.  Hopefully dress slacks and a nice shirt will pass.

Dawn   :-/

KBOlsen

Dress slacks and a shirt on a guy will go a loooong way!

Dawn, John is pretty much the same situation.  I think his one-and-only suit predates his wedding! :o ::)

tigerblade

C'mon!  I own a tux and never get to wear it!
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

TiffineyIngram

Kris, you can wear your tux-I think Eric has a powder blue one from the dinosaur age--but I think slacks and a dress shirt would be nice, don't y'all?  That's what I meant by dress-up.  It's just that some racers commented that the attire was "less than stellar" at the banquets (jeans, t-shirts, etc), and we'd like to spruce it up a bit.

DanO966

Just a suggestion.
If you're planning to do this during the Int Motorcycle Show again.  Pick a place that is kinda close to Rosemont IL.  
So people can go right from the Show to the banquet.
My vote Downtown again but I can see the problems w/ parking and $$$$ so maybe a burb close to Rosemont.  

I know I'm not going to want to drive from Rosemont IL to Rockford, Milwaukee, or even Lake Geneva.  

I'm not opposed to a formal dress up thing at all.  I also think that we should be able to party/drink/BS/Bench Race and a relaxed atmosphere.  

For the most part I liked last year.  I liked the all you can drink drinks.  maybe the food could of been better and the presentation could of been better.  Lighting etc etc....
I know a lot of you were not happy about how the banquet went and all.  
I had a good time.  

Just some of my thoughts.  
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

tigerblade

QuoteKris, you can wear your tux

I was joking.   ;D

I actually do own one and it's because of motorcycles (broken scaphoid and heel one month before wedding).  And I thought it would all be roses from there...   ::)  :P
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

StumpysWife

We will come to the banquet no matter where it's at or what we have to wear.  Anything to see our fellow racers again :D!

It would be great for us coming from the U.P. if it was the same weekend as the show, but I understand the concerns of those working.  And, yes, if its the same weekend, a location near the show would be great.  

No matter what, it will be fun. We've had fun with you people while standing in mud puddles.  I'm not too worried.

Just don't invite the BHF security guy Mr. Happy Pants to pound on our hotel door at 7:00 am.  That's not cool.

Dawn

QuoteI know I'm not going to want to drive from Rosemont IL to Rockford, Milwaukee, or even Lake Geneva.    

Get a designated driver or splurge for a hotel room and you should be OK.   ;)

Dawn   ;D

OmniGLH

QuoteGet a designated driver or splurge for a hotel room and you should be OK.   ;)

Dawn   ;D

Well, after working a 12-hour day on your feet - the last thing you want to do is drive 2 hours to go to some banquet.

We had a hard enough time last year making it from Rosemont to Chicago...
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Dawn

QuoteWell, after working a 12-hour day on your feet - the last thing you want to do is drive 2 hours to go to some banquet.

Paul does it for racing and that is a 4-1/5 hour drive from our house.  It's everyone's preference, but personally, I would not want it held in Chicago.

KBOlsen

QuoteWell, after working a 12-hour day on your feet - the last thing you want to do is drive 2 hours to go to some banquet.
Jim - If CCS doesn't schedule the banquet on the same weekend as the bike show (which I'm guessing they wouldn't do, if the banquet is going to be somewhere else), would you still have this issue?

OmniGLH

QuoteIf they don't do it the same weekend as the bike show (which I'm assuming they wouldn't, if it's going to be somewhere else), would you still have this issue?

No, probably not.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

OmniGLH

QuotePaul does it for racing and that is a 4-1/5 hour drive from our house.  It's everyone's preference, but personally, I would not want it held in Chicago.

Yeah but there's also a different level of excitement associated with a race weekend, vs. a banquet.  (well, at least, for ME there is...)  

Heck, we all worked full days 2 weeks ago Thursday... got off work, drove all night (~14 hours straight) to Barber, unloaded the bikes, and then went riding on the track all day.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

GSXR RACER MIKE

It's less than an hour to Rockford from Rosemont going the speed limit - so it should only take you 30 minutes or so!  ;D

Super Dave

Ok, here's the deal then.

Yes, we should dress up, as you are able.

There is reason to believe that many of us are involved in the MC industry so that a banquet during the Chicago or Indy Show weekends would be bad.  I would be happy to have it at the end of January before the shows.  Daytona follows immediately, so it needs to be done early.

Reasonably formal so that people get their awards and get the opportunity to talk.  There are lots of people that support others, and they deserve their kudos.  Food is always a compromise.  Everyone will not be pleased;  we always do our best to accomodate everyone.  Again, I though the food we had two years ago was pretty good.

The BS and bench racing goes all night.  Two years ago, I left the hotel at 530AM.  We closed the bar down there in the hotel, went to one of the guys' room and continued from there.  Way fun.
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Hopefully it won't be the night before the Steel Shoe Fund ice race!  Prepping that all day Saturday then working it Sunday with a hanger is bad news. Not to mention it cuts down on the number of racers attending the ice race.  ;D ;D

Super Dave

QuoteHopefully it won't be the night before the Steel Shoe Fund ice race!  Prepping that all day Saturday then working it Sunday with a hanger is bad news. Not to mention it cuts down on the number of racers attending the ice race.  ;D ;D

Isn't that like the same weekend as the Indy show?  Feb 19th or so?
Super Dave

TiffineyIngram

Do y'all know when the bike show is next year?  If anyone knows the exact date, that would be a huge help.

KBOlsen

the_weggie_man

Dave, we try not to schedule it against anything else.

Sumners are always at Indy, if anything it gets postponed or something due to weather and ends up the same weekend as the banquet. I will see what Sumner has in mind for a date this year.  He normally doesn't think about it until December. ::)

TiffineyIngram