ccs website

Started by FormulaUSA, October 29, 2001, 10:15:10 AM

FormulaUSA

i am the marketing/pr wing for formula usa nrrs and ccs.  we are in the midst of revamping our website, what would you like to see available, other than having it consistently working... :D

any constructive criticism is appreciated.

www.formulausa.com

RickyRacer

A link to this message board.

Online event registration would be really nice.

How about more racer pics. And not just of the top riders either.

Maybe some way of matching up people's faces with their bikes with pics.

Add the new www.NorthFloridaMotorsportspark.com racetrack to the site. It looks like it will be on the schedule next season.

More motorcycle related news.

Maybe some short stories about the riders other than experts.

This ones not website related but since you're the marketing/pr person, I'll through it in.

Down in south Florida, I never see any of the races promoted. Moroso promotes the Drag Racing but I never see anything on CCS races. Homestead never promotes anything on CCS. Not even on their website.
If you're not in the motorcycle-racing circle, you won't know when any races are taking place.  I would like to see improved fan participation. Maybe if CCS could promote some of the races on local TV stations. CCS races should not be a secret.

An Email event mailing list might help to reduce cost verses sending out the paper version.  
"HEY!, quit being a hog and pass the racepipe"
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

Eric Kelcher

Hi P.M.
Well seperate out CCS from the rest of the Clear Channel motorsports stuff maybe roadracing can all be together but no pop-ups of theater or concerts we are there for the racing info the cross promotion is very one sided from what I see. We get hit for other events but other entertainment is not hit with roadracing.
The results should be easier to find and using acrobat for the rulebook makes it easy to print but hard to use for reference on web; maybe two versions?
Contingency info sucks need amounts classes dates qualifications and links to contingency sponsors.

And last speed the site up fewer graphics and more info/speed is better IMO
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

TightSqueeze

1. The ability to select a racer, and see every event, every race, and every finish they had for the entire season.

Having to compile this info at the end of every weekend, quarter, and year is a real PITA.  This would be a great service to the racer and the racer's sponsor(s).

i.e.

Steve Clark, Ex #167, Mid-Atlantic
Sponsor(s): Fast Lane Cycles, Ram Raceswares, ...

3/12 Summit Point
  LW SS - 1st
  LW SB - 1st
  LW GP - 1st
  HW Sportsman - 1st
  GT Lights - 1st

4/18 Roebling Road
  LW SS - 1st
  LW SB - 1st
  LW GP - 1st
  HW Sportsman - 1st
  GT Lights - 1st

(obviously, you'd want to dump the info using HTML <table>, but you get the gist.)

2. Schedules searchable by track, date range, region, and manufacturers contingency.

See (http://www.tightsqueezeracing.org/schedulesearch.asp for an example)

3. A link to the TSR Injury Fund
http://www.tightsqueezeracing.org/InjuryFund.htm

kangasj

quote:

TightSqueeze

Also, the ability to see that same data, per racer, but per class

Steve Clark, Ex 16, Mid-Atlantic
LW SS - 130 Total Points
3/12 Summit Point, 1st, 65 Points
4/18 Roebling Road, 1st, 65 Points

LW SB ...

You know, real database-like stuff that searchable and displayed in many different formats.

Bender

I have to agree with Steve on this.  The website could definitely use some database development.  With the Cold Fusion engine that SFX is using for the website, they could even go so far as to create a database that could display results over multiple seasons, showing the progression of a rider's career.  We're using Cold Fusion here at my company for our Intranet, so I've seen some of its' capabilities.

This is a bit off-topic, but I'd also like to comment on the promotional development in local markets for CCS races.  For the last three years as a CCS racer, I've often wondered why there hasn't been ANY advertisement in local markets to promote and improve public awareness of motorcycle racing.  SFX does an excellent job of promoting the Arenacross series (at least in my market), but I've NOT ONCE heard of any CCS promotion.  The entire time I was in Daytona for Biketoberfest, I heard ONE commercial on the radio promoting the event, and that's our NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES.

I lived in the area around Blackhawk Farms Raceway most of my life and I never even knew bike races were held there until I met a rider from the area that raced there.  Can't improve fan attendance if they're not aware of the races!!   ;)

I have to be honest when I say that, as a racer, I haven't seen any of the "advantages" that were supposed to come from being added to the SFX family.  I'm sure that they have some great plans for the future.  I'm very anxious to hear any comments that CCS or SFX officials may have...
Mike Bender
Millennium Racing
CCS EX#216
NESBA Control Rider

Mahly

UPDATES UPDATES and more UPDATES!  News that is new. How about a link to www.sliderphoto.com He has MOST of the riders pics (at least in the Mid-west, Great Plains regions)
A page telling us who IS the new champion for each class/region
CCS MW EX #113

Mahly

Speaking of updates...how about the standings for midwest gets fixed, as well as posting the results for the last Blackhawk event.
Oh yeah, there is a link for regional champions, but it only shows TRACK champions....not regional (by class) champs.
Hey, When is the banquet going to be?
CCS MW EX #113

FullMoonRacing

Just being updated more than 2-3 times per season would be a vast improvement!  

G_2_G

Yeah I would have to agree with alot of the guys here in the midwest region they need to update the standing after every race.  It is total B.S. when you cannot even give you sponsors an updated copy of the points after each race.  It is usless when they update the point every three months.  We lose sponsors cuz of that and if we lose sponsers you lose racers which means you lose money.  I don't think you are in business to lose money are you.  I also agree with Steve Clark that would be nice to find that info on any racer in CCS to compare results and find out what you are up against.  About promoting CCS I have seen billboards with ccs schedules in motorcycle shops so I think that helps alot but maybe ads on the radio or some type of free tickets given out at shops to get people there.  Once they come they will see what it is all about and maybe bring friend next time or even like what they see and become a racer themselves.  Just my thoughts...

andy

Many of us CCS racers would appreciate timely updates on race results and standings.
Links to other racing organizations is also crucial as many of us race in more than 1 series.
Pics of the race officials and selected racers would be interesting.   Links to the racetracks were events are scheduled would also be of much help along with contact names & contacts options for the CCS officials that are attending the events.

Rich Desmond

Basically, the screen is way too busy and confusing. Couple that with very slow results posting and there isn't much reason to ever go there. For a good example of the right way to do it check out the CMRA's board at www.cmraracing.com. Simple, clear layout, everthing you need is right there, and the results and points are always done very soon, often the next day. I realize you guys have other priorities, trying to promote all the other crap that Clear Channel owns, but I'd much rather have a CCS-specific site.

Mahly

::) STILL waiting for midwest regional points updates!
How about some info on the awards banquets?
CCS MW EX #113

Papa_Thiam

I'd ask for results posted in a timely fashion, but I believe this has been mentioned once or twice.   ;)

Seeing the race schedules only as early as you guys have them available would be nice too. Some of us decide what we're racing based on when it's scheduled (e.g. if it's 6 hours away, I won't stick around for race #15).

Online registration would be absolutely awesome. Especially if it's done well, meaning in a way that maximizes convenience. I think that if you guys set this up properly, it will benefit not just the racers, but also the folks at CCS handling registrations.

I think one of the great advantages of having an online presence is the ability to spread information practically in real time, and CCS has failed miserably (no offense, just being realistic) at that this season. It would really be great if you guys could fix this next year.

Papa A. Thiam

Mid-Atlantic Amateur (til December :)) #808

FormulaUSA

I just wanted to let you all know that I am listening and updating the website as your responses flow in.  We appreciate the feedback, your input is exactly what we are looking for in this effort.  Some of the ideas expressed so far, like the cold-fusion, database style website are in the works.  you will be able to search and actually find, ( I know, hard to believe, right...), virtually anything you can imagine by entering the class, region, race track, date, racer number, first or last name, etc.  It is taking some time to develop a system that works and is directly correlated to our results and points system.  Next year, results and points will be posted as soon as they are entered into the computer, instead of when we return from the races.  
Please check the Points and Results, I believe they are posted finally.  We will also have regional banquet info asap.  The Midwest banquet is scheduled and you may call Stacey Clark in the Ft. Worth office for specific details - 817-332-4822.

Thank you for your patience and dedication.  

Sincerely -

Mike Murphy - Formula USA CCS, NRRS, AX, FMX

Mahly

;D Woohoo!!! Now if only the link to regional champs was for ALL the regional champs, not just the track champs, we'd be in business!!!
Thanx for listening...AND doing

JM Lt Sportsman champ  (Great plains/mid-west)  8)
CCS MW EX #113

corien

i didn't have time to read all the previous comments so forgive me if this is already mentioned.

let me use an example. the nice thing about the lrrsracing.com web site is that they load the raceresults in pdf format immediately after the raceresults are final which usually is sunday night. so when you are done racing and arrive at work on monday morning you can spend your time looking at all the race results, compare times and see your standing. the site might be butt ugly but the functionality and updates are very timely, which make me go back to it over and over.

have a section for photographs and don't just post the same riders (read top three fastest) over and over again. that is very boring. promote the photographers, they do alot for our sport. we are all ego maniacs!

web sites for racing organizations have the advantage that their users are fanatics and are hungry for information. any information concerning their racing world, it would be a shame to not use this to your advantage.

corien

ecumike

Yes, most of the photographs and race report for VIR and Summit point, are mine (Michael Santelia).  I shot about 10 rolls per race day (yea, I still use film, unlike my soon-to-be brother-in-law, Ryan Schlagheck, who shoots digital)  Yea, I'll admit, I ended up taking photos of the top 5 or so ex. & am. for each race, and only gave Mike some of the better photos from those b/c there were so many.  

During the latter half of the season, Mike talked about doing like a 'racer/team' spotlight write-up for each race; highlighting maybe a newcomer, or top amateur/expert, or whatever.  I thought it was a great idea, and was planning on doing this, but with the cancellations and such, I never really got an opportunity to do so.

So my suggestion, Mike, would be to do what you had mentioned this year... some sort of racer/team spotlight/interview section for the races, ...similar to the NRRS profile pages.  And photos of more than just  the top riders.  I would be more than willing to cover the races again for VIR and Summit (when I can get up there) next year.

funksouljon

I like the idea of race team write ups etc like ecumike mentioned.
Is there a site hit counter? I have been asked how many people or how often information would be viewed, for sponsor visibility.
More articles and writeups about race weekends. Can anyone submit, what is the story with that?
All the information being updated more rapidly (upcoming 2002 schedule?).
Smaller blurbs on the main page linked to main story would allow more individual articles in the same amount of space. Does an link to archived articles exist?
Also, the "welcome to 2001" is dead. Perhaps a 2002 welcome is in order.  ;)
Overall I like the CCS site, but don't seem to have a need to return to it more than once every 10 days, nothing new to read.
Was it here last season that had the Zero to Hero incentive program. Was it effective enough to repeat?

FormulaUSA

some website stats to chew on...

SFX Motorsports.com -
268,944 - 722,353 hits per week between Sept 16 - Nov 3.
28,109 - 48,027 unique users per week in the same time period.
Total 2001 hits 12,974,121 with 686,076 unique users.
2000 = 6,539,736 / 679,833.  1999 = 7,808,780 / 201,141.

Formula USA .com
455,223 hits w/ 5,329 users - 782,028 hits w/ 10,270 users between Sept 16 - Nov 3.
18,420,828 total hits in 2001 with 246,874 unique users compared to 340,588 hits from 19,343 users in 2000.

CCS . com had a total of 96,023 hits from 59,947 users in 2001 compared to 79,351 hits from 10,827 in 2000.  (This may be skewed due to the change over from the original CCS web site.

Total Motorcycle Road Racing web site numbers in 2001?
18,516,851 hits from 306,821 unique users.

XSBA had 99,236 hits from 7,911 users.

Admin

Well, perhaps I'm biased, but I'd like to see a link to the message board.  Heck, it doesn't even have to be this one, but someplace for people to meet and interact.  For me, that was the one thing that got me into motorcycle racing in the first place.

Second, I'll agree that the site seems too busy, and CCS seems second rate to ClearChannel and FormulaUSA.  When I first was getting started, I was never sure that I was in the right place.

Third, I think there needs to be more information for "newbies".  Someone already mentioned that the "Welcome to 2001" is broken.  Maybe some articles about your someones first time at the track, links to the motorcycles roadracing faq, links to the message board ;) .

Shawn

mike

shawn -

just for the record, i have tried twice to get in touch with you and would be happy to develop a link to this forum.  however, i have yet to recieve a return email stating that you wanted to do this.  

i think it is extremely important to hear from the people who make our sport what it is and what it can be - i am dedicated to make ccs, nrrs, and formulausa to be the easiest sport to be a part of, whether as a racer or a spectator.

i look forward to it.

mike

Admin

Mike,
Not sure why I didn't receive any emails from you, but
I'll get in touch with you later today.

Shawn

RickyRacer

When will the Florida standing be up dated?
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

JFlack

I agree with making the design more elegant.  We developed the www.USGPRU.org website in just a few days at my office and we'd be happy to help on the design side with the CCS one as well.  just e-mail me at jonathan@usgpru.org and we can talk if you want some help in this area... we've had a lot of really positive feedback about our new site for the 125's.

It would be great to have advanced postings for major events up way in advance as well.  Kevin gave us the Daytona schedule and that's been a big help with the USGPRU folks, we all have to schedule around work and it's nice to know well in advance when registration, qualifying and final events are being held.  We all know that this stuff can get changed but it's really nice to see what the weekend's shaping up like before we head out the door.

Some cool news articles that would get added on a weekly basis would be nice as well.  kinda like they do on www.motogp.com... it keeps people interested and visiting the site regularly.  Information on new series' coming up, event schedule changes, track information (altitude-length) and the like all in a "braking news" area would really help out a lot.

I also agree with seperating the CCS/F-USA stuff from the other CCE sites.  

Jonathan

ecumike

Jonathan,

The usgpru.org has a pretty nice design... did you help design/develop it personally?

JFlack

My company did the work, but I provided design and  couple code monkeys did the execution with me jumping in a couple times to resolve design related issues.  team effort, but design wise it was me... that's my job for web, print and broadcast work.

jonathan

rmahr137

what about having featured riders.  The GLRRA website last year had riders wrote their own profiles and send them in, and then they posted them.  This could give the riders some more exposure, and CCS doesn't have to do that much work

MIKE

HEY GUYS,  I WAS JUST WONDERING WHY LOUDON  AND THE NORTH EAST , IS NOT ON ANY OF THE CS  PAGES , ITS LIKE WE ARE IN A REGION OF OUR OWN, HAVE OUR OWN LISCENCES, WE ARE NOT IN THE RESULTS PAGES, I THINK I GET THE SHAFT ::)
 MIKE K  
CCS,LRRS,
FUSA #565

RickyRacer

Is the FormulaUSA.com/CCS site ever going to be updated?? The Florida standings have yet to be revised and there's no 2002 contingency information.
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

Admin

And there is still no link to the message boards!

Shawn

funksouljon

Another thing that might be helpful is a little more specific information as to what states are in what region.
Were the 2002 forms updated? Last time I checked they were not.

Eric Kelcher

Regions are not done by states or even where you live. A region is done by the races sceheduled for that region. If you ran the race at Heartland Park for instance it was a three region crosover. CMRA (South Centra), Great Plains, and Mid West. then there was cross over at Hallet between CMRA and Great Plains, but at another Hallet event it was just CMRA.
Look at what region YOU are closer to the tracks or tracks you prefer and run that schedule. Any cross over events will result in you having points in all regions that cross over.

make sense?
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

funksouljon

I understand what you are saying about the region being based on what tracks are in the area.
But that isn't an accurate answer to my question.
What would you do what with my application if I submitted one and I lived in Atlanta? (besides throw it away now. :) )
I would be put in SE region based on where I live (or what tracks are nearby). Even if I told you that I only raced at the willow springs, I would be registered for SE and would have my plate number based that.