News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Quick shifter

Started by smoke, August 12, 2003, 05:06:43 PM

Super Dave

QuoteI have spent the past year trying to figure out why I have problem rolling full on or off gas....

As for new bikes, maybe not for experts, but for novices (the ones that I race with and see) a 03 R6 and a 01 R6 seems to mean about 3-4 seconds... Maybe because the newer bikes are better in a way that its easier for novice/non-experts to get more out of it and go faster. More forgiving and setup initially maybe? I fully understand if people were doing 16's at summit point with 98 GSXR's I should be able to do the same with my bike.

First, figure out what the problem is or get an ATV thumb throttle.  Do something.  You know that you have a problem.

Next, a amateur is not going to get more out of a new bike that an expert.  In just the same way that you're not going to get more out of the 1999 Honda NSR500 over the 1997 model.  Rossi might get more out of it, buy you or I probably won't. The trick is that the guys that are riding the old stuff are probably riding "cr@ppy" ones and don't have them set up or they are so far out of the ball park that they just blow.  They get on a stocker new model and it isn't all screwed up.
Super Dave

r6_philly

QuoteFirst, figure out what the problem is or get an ATV thumb throttle.  Do something.  You know that you have a problem.

Next, a amateur is not going to get more out of a new bike that an expert.  In just the same way that you're not going to get more out of the 1999 Honda NSR500 over the 1997 model.  Rossi might get more out of it, buy you or I probably won't. The trick is that the guys that are riding the old stuff are probably riding "cr@ppy" ones and don't have them set up or they are so far out of the ball park that they just blow.  They get on a stocker new model and it isn't all screwed up.

I changed a few things, and it has helped some, so I guess its getting better.

and you are absolutely right, I am riding a beat up, cr@ppy bike. And it was never set up. I had the forks rebuilt and straightened this weekend at summit, and the suspension guy told me whoever did the forks before did not cut the spacer for my springs, so it was 17mm too long, thats why I had so much problem getting the bike hold a tight line.

And my exhaust is bent, leaking and crushed, so I spent the whole yesterday getting killed on straights. I led every race I entered yesterday from the start to about 2-3 laps in, then get passed on the straight after the field settled. End up a bunch of 4th's. Last race I really wanted to stay up front and pushed too hard and lowsided myself out of the lead.

I am still going to daytona, but I need to make sure my bike works 100%, or there is no need to go. The bike has a lot of potential, and so do I, its just never been together right to bring it out. I was real frustrated yesterday, and I now really really realize that unless I can get things working right, I will never get to the top. So gone is my amateur racing career, and stand a new expert (after daytona). I need to do things better... I know I could have won every race yesterday, but I was not prepared, I could ride, but I did not make my equiptment ridable... lesson well learned.

Hey Dave, I would like to come and work with you sometime, maybe next year, each time I race I gain more respect of things you tell others :)

Super Dave

QuoteHey Dave, I would like to come and work with you sometime, maybe next year, each time I race I gain more respect of things you tell others :)

I'm available.  It just comes down to riders making decisions.  Remember me an potential...no such thing...the bike won't go fast if you push it down the hill...and it's up hill anyway.

Bent pipes?  I have stock head pipes.  Don't fret the engine stuff.  As long as it starts and runs ok, it's probably enough.  Suspension?  That's another story.  Got to be better and better, but it won't do anything unless you try something to make it easier to ride.
Super Dave

r6_philly

QuoteI'm available.  It just comes down to riders making decisions.  Remember me an potential...no such thing...the bike won't go fast if you push it down the hill...and it's up hill anyway.

Bent pipes?  I have stock head pipes.  Don't fret the engine stuff.  As long as it starts and runs ok, it's probably enough.  Suspension?  That's another story.  Got to be better and better, but it won't do anything unless you try something to make it easier to ride.

Getting the forks right was the biggest difference I ever felt in that bike. It was an instant 3 seconds worth after settings were done right. If I had my shock done too then bike would have felt even better.

Engine stuff... I was having trouble passing SV's purely on power (remember summit point have a long long straight and lots of short ones.) I was just having so much trouble keepin on on the exits. Of course the only solution is more corner speed, so I tried to take more in, lean over more, and carry more. Result is dragging everything and things I haven't dragged before, until eventually crashed because I asked the front to do too much. I was happy though, I rode very very well, totally back from my injuries. If I can just get the bike working better, I shall be a happy man in Daytona. If not, I may not be going...