News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Roadracers are junkies........

Started by Tezboogie, August 11, 2003, 06:45:42 PM

Tezboogie

We are, because we'll race at any track that'll let us on......as long as they say we can race on it, no matter how terrible and unsafe it is, we'll do it in a heart beat. Why do we keep going to all these unsafe tracks? We can't help ourselves right? B. S.
If the racers don't show up to that particular track, that track cannot hold a race that day. And we won't come back to that track until we think it's safe enough to race on. That's all their is to it. No racers, no race, no money for them. But you know what, it'll never happen. They can have potholes and oil spouts and big walls in every turn on every track that's on the schedule and we'll show up and race. We'll complain and scream the whole time we're there, but we'll still race and test our leathers and helmet, because we are feans and junkies and we just can't help it. Oh yeah, we crash and get hurt on the so called safe tracks too, you know the ones that don't have walls, it just seems way more often that we notice it more on the unsafe tracks. I wonder why? Must be those walls. Just gotta be those walls that they built to stop speeding out of control 3,000 pound race cars. And uh, oh if one of those motorcycle roadracing guys hits that wall? "Well, I wouldn't worry about that if I were you, we'll deal with that when it happens".
Well, it happened AGAIN for 1'000th time this past weekend. And it seems like everytime someone hits one those walls that they get hurt really bad or they die. Look back and think for a minute about how many roadracers that have hit walls and have been hurt or killed. Nuff said. If we don't stop this madness soon, the next time someone crashes and hits a wall that kills or hurts them badly, it just might be you.

Blaze Crew is praying for a speedy recovery for you Auther.
                      Tez
                            ex#3

r6_philly

I was told I would likely have died if they didn't move the wall back about 30 feet in the winter (at summit point). I still was seriously injured, but recovered.

Should we boycot some race tracks next year? Start the awareness now and get united so everyone will be on board? What do you all think, we really should unite and do something about safety.

badmonkey

The way I look at it is they need us, We don't need them. Granted you could boycott a unsafe track, which there are a few , but you will still have a few losers who would take advantage of it for the points. If we could stick together we could make a difference it's just a matter of getting the word out. I think it's ridiculous how serious some people take club racing. I'm out there to have fun , not risk serious injury over a stupid $5 trophy. This isn't the AMA or world superbike , we don't get paid for this and all of us have to go to work on Monday. So until we get organized there will be more deaths and other serious injuries. Ok I'll get off my soapbox now. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

K3 Chris Onwiler

I was at Heartland Park this weekend.  I will attempt to give my best opinion on the place.
On the plus side, Heartland is probably the most challenging racetrack I've ever run.  It has high speed sweepers, full-stop-then wheelie corners, blind, uphill, downhill... You name it!  The series of corners that lead onto the drag strip are sublime.  Anyone who has ridden Deal's Gap will feel right at home with them.  I'd like to meet the guy who designed that track and shake his hand.
On the minus side:  Walls and bumps.  That is the worst pavement I've ever raced on; much worse than Hallett, the old Blackhawk, or Grattan.  It is practically below the minimum standard required to call it pavement.  Then there are walls everywhere, and always waaaay too close.  Racing in a construction zone would be no less risky.
People would scream "Pave that track!"  Well, that costs money.  The Irwin famly just bought the place in Febuary.  These are the same people who own Blackhawk, and they have proven themselves to be 100% about bike racers and their safety.  Knowing the Irwins, I truly believe that over a period of years Heartland Park will become one of the best tracks in the country.
How do we get there from here?  First, move the damn walls!  There is an unbelievable amount of empty space at Heartland, and moving the walls two to three times farther back would be easily possible in many places.  Perhaps there need to be gravel traps in certain corners.  We racers hate them, but they can really help get a rider stopped before he hits something solid.  Certain areas will only be made safe by swaddling them with lots and lots of air fencing.  This work would cost a good bit of money, and it would be far more important than pavement.  
But what about pavement?  According to reports, pavement is what most likely induced the slapper that led to Art Wagner's tragic wreck.  My bike was slapping like a wild thing there and at several other places on the track.  It was the worst pavement I've raced on in my life.  OK!  Let's boycott Topeka until it's fixed!
Think about that for a minute.  The Irwins probably mortaged Blackhawk to the hilt to buy Heartland Park.  Without racers they probably won't be able to pay the rent, much less fix the track.  Boycotting Topeka could cost us Blackhawk.  Catch 22?  Damn straight.  I don't have any answers.  But Tez is right about one thing.  If time and money weren't in the mix, I'd still be at Heartland Park trying to get faster.  I'm feeling a little weak.  Could someone push this needle into my vein and twist the throttle for me?  Thanks.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

G 97

This is club racing.  There is no pressure for any individual racer to participate at any track that they deem to be unsafe.   With that being said I do feel that a message needs to be sent to certain racing organizations that continually participate at venues with little regard for track safety improvements.   What incentive do tracks have to spend money in order to improve safety when they are rewarded with events?  
I've always considered HP to be one of the safer tracks that we run on, and I still do.  IMO it is safer than Gateway.  But when it comes down to it.  It is up to each individual racer to determine his or her own acceptance of risk and make their decision accordingly.  If other "loosers" ( BTW, it's losers) want to take advantage of it for points, who cares.  This is club racing.
G

Super Dave

Race tracks have improved greatly over the years that I have raced.

I have raced on actual STREET courses.

I have been involved in a boycott at a race track...the AMA National at the Pomono Fairplex in 1994.

The boycott was a mess.  No one won, really, it was just a dissaster.  But there was an issue with a pedestrian bridge that had to be moved.

Ultimately, the rider has to make choices with their right hand.

I have been at six events in my racing career where racers have died.  Sometimes, these deaths occured in safe areas.

As for HPT, an ill handling bike can be a handful there, but still, the rider has to make a decision what to do...race or not, how fast to go.
Super Dave

badmonkey

Sorry for incorrectly spelling loser G97, I'm currently on a vicodin/oxycotin coktail for torn ligaments. Too bad your missing the point. As Tez and R6 philly state they are tired of safety taking a backseat to money. But I guess that doesn't matter until it stikes a little closer to home. If it makes you feel better you  can have my points.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

G 97

QuoteSorry for incorrectly spelling loser G97, I'm currently on a vicodin/oxycotin coktail for torn ligaments. Too bad your missing the point. As Tez and R6 philly state they are tired of safety taking a backseat to money. But I guess that doesn't matter until it stikes a little closer to home. If it makes you feel better you  can have my points.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think we are all concerned and tired of safety issues not being handled as timely as we would like them too.  I agree 100% with Tez.  In your original post you even state that this is not AMA Pro racing or SBK.  I am simply stating that it is up to each rider to decide own their own if they want to race at a certain track or not.  I myself chose not to race at certain tracks. In addition I also do not run track days at these tracks either.  Does that make the other racers that chose to race "losers" ? ,I think not.  

Nowhere did I even come close to inferring that it does not matter.  On the contrary.  But I am realistic enough to realize that it all comes down to each individual riders decision.  Me wanting your points? LMAO.  :P

Not sure what you mean by "strikes a little closer to home". FYI,  I have had the unfortunate experience of being life-flighted with a broken collarbone, shoulder blade, shoulder, C5,C7 broken vertebrae, inner cranial bleeding and spending a few days in a coma.  
In another incident I woke up in the hospital when I lost it in the kink at RA during an AMA promoters practice.  
So I take some of the blame for the new BEND section.  ;D

I hope this satisfies your requirement of striking a little closer to home.   ::)

:)

G

r6_philly

After my second unfortunate incident at summit point this year, I had a talk with race officials. The reason was, if there was a gravel trap to slow off-track bike before the wall, neither of us would have impacted the wall. I was inquiring how that message could be relayed to the owners/management of the track so that could be planned or looked at.

The response was, they can't. "It was hard enough to get them to move the wall back a bit".

So I realize, track management in large only care in principle. They don't really loose much money if we don't go race there, they will just rent the track out to cars.

What we need is a more proactive, and POWERFUL race organization that can make the track improve safety. We as racers can't do it directly, and the track won't do it, so the people who run the races have to care enough, and be able to deal with safety issues.

CCS has publicized growth over the last few years. Whats wrong with spending some of the growth on buying a few section of air modules for each region. I can't believe that we racers have to raise money for safety issues. I don't like the race org just sit around and hope that we deal with the issues.

badmonkey

The whole point if you don't understand was to try to get racers to come together. Or should we just ignore it and hope nobody we know dies.

G 97

QuoteThe whole point if you don't understand was to try to get racers to come together. Or should we just ignore it and hope nobody we know dies.

Really, wow!!!  Thanks for the insight.

And My respones, because I already know that you did not get it.  Each racer needs to decide for themselfs.  This is club racing.  
G

r6_philly

QuoteReally, wow!!!  Thanks for the insight.

And My respones, because I already know that you did not get it.  Each racer needs to decide for themselfs.  This is club racing.  

Wait, wait, of course we are responsible for ourselves, that does not necessarily mean that the race org is not responsible at the SAME time. I was run into once, bump another time and that was my 2 worst crashes. In the one I was seriously injured in, I had no way of avoiding the incident, so how could I have been responsible for my own safety? Not race because someone may run into me? then we would never race.

Race org. sactions the events. That means we have to follow the rules they impose for others safety. So I think the race org is taking the position of maintaining safety for everyone to an extend. I want to see them more involved and proactive and accomplish more.

If its we look out for ourselvs, them why go through tech. I am sure whoever cares about his/her own safety would make sure their own bike is safe right???