First Race with CCS next weekend.(Thunderhill, CA)

Started by MassiveAttack, August 05, 2003, 09:41:03 PM

MassiveAttack

I wanna try out my first race at THILL with CCS next weekend.  I took the New Racer School at Buttonwillow in July.

What races can I run in as a novice, (new racer)?  I am on a GSXR600 with some mods.  (inverted forks, full exaust).

Thanks!

Team_nuclear123

You can run middleweight GP and Superbike, Heavyweight GP and Superbike, GTO, GTU, and I think thats it...

good luck, if you need any help, look me up, #123, Im the crewchief

zx9r-racer

SuperSport classes too....or maybe not, with those forks?  Don't forget about the Unlimited classes too.

Team_nuclear123

The fork change make sthe bike illegal for all supersport races, but it should be able to run in all GP and Superbike except the lightweights

MassiveAttack

Thanks zx9r-racer and Team_Nuclear123, for the info.

What is your advice for a novice such as myself to race in.  I was thinking maybe trying 3 races, 1 saturday and 2 sunday.  

Thanks Again!

---
B/T/W... CCS hasnt sent me my license yet?  Will the have me on their computers for comleting the and passing the class lasy July at Buttonwillow?

MELK-MAN

they covered it.. have fun!! 3 races is a good amount. not too many but enough to get a first race out of the way and have fun 2 more times on suday without being to tired. also, should have no problem getting 3 good races out of a rear tire unless they are 20 lap events...
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

zx9r-racer

Definitely try a GT race on Sat.  30 min. race, plenty of track time in a race environment.

QuoteThanks zx9r-racer and Team_Nuclear123, for the info.

What is your advice for a novice such as myself to race in.  I was thinking maybe trying 3 races, 1 saturday and 2 sunday.  

Thanks Again!

---
B/T/W... CCS hasnt sent me my license yet?  Will the have me on their computers for comleting the and passing the class lasy July at Buttonwillow?

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote3 races is a good amount. not too many but enough to get a first race out of the way and have fun 2 more times on suday without being to tired. also, should have no problem getting 3 good races out of a rear tire unless they are 20 lap events...

I can't even imagine how much so many people spend on tires! Even when I use to push hard and run up front in the HW and UL classes on my GSXR 750 I would get alot more use out of my tires than most people seem to. I use to run all 3 practices per day (yes, there use to be 3) on Sat. & Sun., race 6 classes per event (1 GT & 5 Sprints), and still get 2 1/2  to 3 events per set of tires. And I was able to run top 5 with those tires, even right before I would change them out. I have a pair of take-offs that I have kept for a few years just to show people what I could ride on and still finish 4th in a 33 rider grid.

As a newbie you'll soon find out that this sport can get really expensive really fast! Tires are a major factor in this type of racing, but don't get rid of them until you either start to get excessive slides or your times are slowing due to loss of grip. If your blazingly fast right from the start then maybe it will be somewhat of an issue, but most likely you'll be able to get alot more track time out of your tires than people suggest.

As far as # of races per weekend I will pass along some advise I recieved when I was starting out. The first few classes you run per event as a newbie are generally consumed by learning the track while 'at speed' and what your bike does at different points around the track. Around your 3rd or 4th class of the event you really start to get into more of a zone with the bike and track. I would suggest 2 classes per day (more if ambitious) per event. I would also pick classes that have a number of races between them so you have time to think about what you just did and watch a little before your 2nd race of the day. If you had trouble in a certain place go there and spectate how the leaders are doing it, then when you go out for your 2nd race you can attempt to change something to improve.

The best situation is to have a very reputable instructor such as Super Dave Rosno with Visionsports (VRS) give you guidance during a school situation to help make improvements in your riding ability. It's very true that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is a big waste of your $. When you get out on the track make sure that your trying different things to improve constantly, even if it's working on improving just 1 corner all event.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96