Brake pad bed-in procedures

Started by Decreasing_Dave, July 25, 2003, 11:42:50 PM

Decreasing_Dave

I know this was discussed before, but I can't find it.

Any tips for breaking in EBC Kit pads on an R6??

TIA,
D. Dave

MELK-MAN

QuoteI know this was discussed before, but I can't find it.

Any tips for breaking in EBC Kit pads on an R6??

TIA,
D. Dave

I love EBC.. but if you dont bed in properly, they will glaze and then you must remove them and swirl in a figure 8 pattern on sandpaper to start again.
I have used brake cleaner on the rotor surface to make sure there is no gunk, then do about 10 15mph or so stops. let things cool. then do about 10 30 mph stops. works for me.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Super Dave

Personally, I can't get a set of EBC's to bed in correctly.  Lots of track's won't even let you ride around and try to do the 30MPH stops.

My alternatives were using DP pads or as I use currently, Vesrah RJL pads...Vesrah's to make my life a lot easier.
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

I rode around my neighborhood doing 20 mph (or so...guessing) stops, then 30mph..then 40 mph...stopping every few minutes to let them cool.  Then did a big ass stoppie and they seemed to work great at Moroso.  Definitely switching to Vesrah or Dunlop pads next time though.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

MELK-MAN

there are other good pads just be sure the rotor you are using is appropriate for the pad you want. i think different materials are harsh on some rotors. It would be nice to be able to just throw a set on however and go!
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

THE_D.O.C.

i have never had a problem bedding in ebc pads. weird. hell, at daytona i went out on the warm up lap and forgot i had new pads in. hard on the brakes the first time. they still worked perfectly.

Decreasing_Dave

Quotei have never had a problem bedding in ebc pads. weird. hell, at daytona i went out on the warm up lap and forgot i had new pads in. hard on the brakes the first time. they still worked perfectly.

I have never had a problem either.  In fact, I hated taking the old EBCs out.  The kit pads that I got are supposed to be better than the plain-old double HHs.  I guess we'll see.

For the $80.00 that they cost, I just didn't want to take any chances with the break-in.

Thanks for all the responses.   ;D

D. Dave

r6_philly

I recently tried a pair of Vesrah pads, and there was such a difference from the EBC kit pads. Before I get flamed, I just want to say that is my personal experience, and I really liked it on my R6.

divein6

I put a set of DP race only pads on, all i gotta say is they are simply amazing. Un real breaking power. un real, DP all the way

THE_D.O.C.

cute. club racers telling about the unreal differences of brake pads. next, you guys should tell us your methods of "backing it in".  ::)

Dawn

Quotecute. club racers telling about the unreal differences of brake pads. next, you guys should tell us your methods of "backing it in".  ::)

Knock it off...

It is a person's opinion, leave it at that.

Dawn   ::)

THE_D.O.C.