Buyer Beware: 58Cycle in Danville, VA

Started by JamesG, July 24, 2003, 08:30:14 PM

JamesG

grrrrr
<long rant/vent>
If you are familar with the way Ebay works, you know you have to represent what you are selling fairly acurately because your buyer can't touch what they are buying. There is a fair amount of faith that the other person isn't going to be dishonest or will deal with you fairly if things aren't right.

I was looking for a pair of frame sliders for a YZF600 project and came across this auction that looked pretty spiffy. So I buy them.

They show up, and I happily open the box. Errr... the mounting bolts are missing.
"Oh well, honest mistake" I think.
I send them an email saying the bolts are missing. I get this snotty reply from "Jen" saying I need to take pictures of the parts and the wrapping sticker.
Uh ok.... So I do so, and while I'm waiting for a reply. I take the sliders out to the bike to "dry fit" them. Hmmm something seems not right. The sliders base, that should be machined to fit into the socket and act as a spacer between the frame and bolt head, is way to big in diameter, and looks like it was designed for an old GSXR.

Ok, if they forgot the bolts, maybe they shipped the wrong sliders too? I get back on the 'puter discribing the problem. I get a terse reply saying no thats the way they are supposed to be. So I go look again (still don't have any bolts). Nope no can do. The slider would sit on the lip of the rather fragile looking mounting bosses. Toss the bike down the road and the slider would take its unsupported bolt and bend it over and probably crack the frame and rip the bolt from the motor.
I send an email back explaining my concerns and even sending the above pic illustrating the problem.
I get another email from "Jayson Moss" this time saying they are fine and designed for that bike and if I don't like them I can return them for a "store credit" minus 15% "restocking fee".
Uh... I don't think so.

It amazes me how some people act. And if this is how they act over a measly $60 pair of sliders, I don't think I want any part of dealing with them in the future.

I've lurked here off and on for a long time and came out of the dark for this little FYI 'cause I'm PISSED!!!.  >:(

Nate R

WOW! That's HORRIBLE.  I will be SURE to stay away from them. Why are you getting aluminum sliders anyway? They're not good things. Big NO-NO.

Installs easily with mounting bolts included!

*Installation note: The left slider is longer and uses the shorter bolt provided!

Riiggghht  >:(
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

EmerWil

Just cuz I am in a very confrontational mood today..here's an email I sent to 58cycle from their website... Their email by the way is 58cycle@adelphia.net (incase anyone else wanted to email them):

Just a little note that you guys are getting some very bad press...

You guys sold some sliders to a guy on Ebay.  They obviously didn't come with the necessary bolts that we're advertised on the ebay auction description.  And when the guy found out that they weren't the right ones, you wouldn't take them back without a restocking fee.

I ask you, Jen and Jayson and everyone else there at 58 Cycle.  What's going to cost you more? The 60.00 you return to the buyer or the THOUSANDS of dollars in business you are going to lose because the person you just turned away is telling everyone in the country how bad your shop is.  

Yes...Everyone in the country...This buyer has posted a comment about your shop on a NATIONALLY viewed web site that gets between 6,000-7,000 hits a day.  How do you think I found you?  I went to the web and put in "58cycle" and low-and-behold your web site came up.  It's going to be that easy for other people to do the same.  Are they going to send you hate mail? Or are they going to buy stuff because they think you're a reputable seller?

May I humbly suggest that you contact this person, as I am sure you know who I am talking about, and give him the customer satisfaction that he is looking for.  It'll cost you less in the long run to do the right thing.  I could understand if it was a $3,000 engine and he'd already used it for 1500 miles, but we're talking about a pair of 60.00 sliders that he can't use...

Thanks for your time and consideration and I hope I've convinced you to do the right thing...

K3 Chris Onwiler

The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

JamesG

EmerWil- Very Cool!  I don't think I could have stated the gist of this disagreement more eloquently.
Thanks man, its this kind of action that keeps people honest on the internet.

Castle- What did you post?

EmerWil

castle is my brother...he was getting an offline 'dig' in on me...

:-X

EmerWil

By the way....

No response yet from 58Cycle

JamesG

let me know what they say?

I'm curious if they are rude to everyone or if I am just *specal*...

EmerWil

I probably won't get a reply...but if EVERYONE starts emailing them asking them why their customer service skills are so bad...

Jeff

From my experience, they will likely respond in a defensive manner.  And somewhat rightfully so.  They're being bashed and don't necessarily understand why.

With any luck, you'll get your money back or a pair of sliders that work.  However, the damage to the shop is already done...  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

JamesG

Naw, they know exactly what is wrong. I made it explicitly clear (several times) what was wrong with them and why they wouldn't work. I was even nice and gave them the beniefit of the doubt and they chose to be hard a$$ed about it.
 :-/

prov431

I live not far from there, and have stopped by the so called biggest bike part store around. WHAT A DUMP. The place is an absoulte disgrace. I went there looking for a replacement steering damper for my 748....he wanted $150.00 for a stock damper, that you can get for $25.00 elsewhere. Needless to say, not only was I dissapointed in his price theory, but his mess of a place turned me off before I even asked about the damper.
I wish you luck with your problem, but I really think they could care less.

JamesG

Oooooo...

I just got another nasty gram from "J" at 58 Cycle telling me to stop having my friends email them or "else"!

I'm scared... ::)

EX#996

QuoteOooooo...

I just got another nasty gram from "J" at 58 Cycle telling me to stop having my friends email them or "else"!

Or else what?  

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

EmerWil

wow...maybe he's feeling the pressure...even tho he wouldn't respond to me...typical for a shady enterprise...

If you look on the website for them...and you click on their history or whatever it's called about the company...they started out as a junk yard...and then "expanded" into bikes...

Kinda confirms what Prov431 said....

What are they going to do...sue you?  ::)

Nate R

Did they really say "Or else?"

::)   You COULD sue THEM for threatening you. Not that I think you should. This company sounds pretty bad.  :-/
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Woofentino Pugrossi

Really want to get their goat? Take a FULL PAGE advert out in the local paper in thier town stating what they did. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod