News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Roebling - Paul Farrell Memorial Weekend

Started by TrophyGal, July 22, 2003, 07:11:48 AM

TrophyGal

In honor and memory of our friend and former CCS SE race director , the late Paul Farrell, who died one year ago this Saturday, this weekend at Roebling is being "unofficially" called The Paul Farrell Memorial Weekend.

A special trophy will be awarded to the winner of the Amateur Middleweight SuperSport race on Saturday – the Paul Farrell Memorial Challenge Trophy - donated by his best friend Tim Tucker (our SE starter).

Because Paul was always looking for ways to help injured riders, we hope you will open your hearts and wallets to make a donation to the Wegman Fund Injured Riders Fund.  Contributions to the Wegman Fund in Paul's memory can be made in Registration or can be mailed directly to the Wegman Fund.

We hope to continue this tradition each year in July at the SE race weekend closest to the anniversary of Paul's death.

Chewy

This is great!!!  We will see you there...

TrophyGal

We hope it will be a successful fund-raising weekend to represent the SE region racers at the Wegman Fund annual event (see other thread).  I'd like to send them a big check in Paul's memory.

Matt Blashfield is even donating a special banner to be used each year!  Thanks, Matt!

the_weggie_man

Thank you for thinking of other racers through the Wegman Fund on this memorial weekend for Paul Farrell.

The big hearts of racers across this country never fail to amaze me.  It is only with the generous support of people and groups like yours that we are able to continue helping injured road racers.

I wish you luck with your effort and wish everyone a safe weekend of racing as well as a great time celebrating Paul's life.  Though we mourn for ourselves those who have left us, because we miss them and love them, we must continue to celebrate their lives. I'm sure Paul would have it no other way.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Paul and all of you, his friends and family, this weekend.

TrophyGal

See the other thread:

http://www.racemotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=ccs1;action=display;num=1057778504;start=0

I still can't believe we raised that much money!!!

I'll be sending you the check for the cash and 3 separate checks made out to the Wegman Fund shortly  -- all from the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic CCS riders, staff and friends ... a total of $750.

BTW, it's been decided that the Paul Farrell Memorial Weekend will be an annual event in support of the Wegman Benefit Fund in his memory.  It will be held at the CCS event in the SE closest to the anniversary of Paul's death ... July 26, 2002.

BTW, this was "meant to be" ... We presented a special trophy to the winner of the Amateur MW SuperSport race.  The Green Flag dropped at exactly 4:30pm on Saturday -- the EXACT time of Paul's death the year before.  (Gives ME chills!)  Another coincidence .. the winner of the race (William Meyers) told us during the presentation that his first race ever was in that class .. at Roebling Road ... last summer.

:D

TrophyGal

I wanted to pass along this email note I received from Paul Farrell's sister, Brenda, when she learned of our upcoming memorial weekend.  I know she'll be even more thrilled when she learns how much was raised!

"You don't know me, I'm Paul's sister, Brenda. His friend, Tim, forwarded the info. about the Memorial Weekend to our family. I just got it yesterday. What a wonderful way to honor Paul! I know he would approve and secretly enjoy all the fuss. His work in motorcycle racing was a real passion of his.

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to go to a race with him. Thankfully, my mother and some of my brothers did. When you know the schedule for next year, would you let me know the date and location for next year's Memorial Weekend? I'd like to get there if I can.

Also, I would like to make a donation to the Injured Riders Fund in his memory. Can you get me an address? Thanks.

If you take any pictures this weekend, I'd love to see them.

We love and miss him so much. It's so comforting to know that he's touched so many lives. Please let everyone involved know how much this means to our family.
Sincerely,
Brenda Roberts"

the_weggie_man

Sounds like your weekend was terrific. Once again thanks for helping the Wegman Fund in our efforts to assist injured racers.

Knowing this will be an annual event is great news. To keep a level of donations like that coming in each  July really helps us. It is a great tribute to Paul to make this an annual event in his memory

Please let me know the schedule for next year also. I will be sure to get there myself or have a representative there. One of our board members recently moved to the Charlotte, NC area so we do have people in the region.

Please pass on our sincere thanks to everyone involved!