Need more info about #891 crash on July19

Started by skara, July 20, 2003, 07:15:44 PM

skara

Can anyone tell me (Scott Kara's wife) more about the crash at Blackhawk on July 19? See anything tell me what happened? We are trying to figure out things. I have to type for Scott. He is doing okay and should be home tomorrow?! He has a broken collar bone (right), broken thumb on the left, couple of ribs broken. A bruise on the bain. And a pocket of air their watching in his lung.
Also I need to know the number of the rider I met at the medical shed, he said he avoided killing my husband by missing him and dumbing his own bike! I only want to thank you! And special thanks to all the corner works and safty crew and rescue squad who took care of Scott.
And a big thanks to Mrs. Jeff Perk (sorry I don't rember your first name) You kept me off the track and calm and helped me wait for the news on my husband and were awesome support!  Thanks again everyone!

Dawn

Thanks for posting.

Everyone was wondering how he was doing.  Unfortunately I don't have any details on the crash, but there are some on this board that do.  They should be back on either tonight or tomorrow.

I have moved this thread from the Classifieds to the General section.  It will get more hits here.

Bill (the race director) at the rider's meeting announce that they had some of Scott's stuff.  Hopefully someone that knows you picked it up and will get it to you.  If not, e-mail me at:  buxton@frontiernet.net and I will get Bill's information to you.

Take care and get well!

Dawn Buxton   :)

SliderPhoto

Wow, I was really, really, sorry to see this happen! I always hate seeing crashes but I'm glad to hear Scott is on his way to recovery.

I was in turn 7, unfortunately I was moving to a location in front of the corner worker's stand so I didn't get all the pics, but I saw the accident.

I can't say whether he was slowing to avoid someone but what I saw is him endoing the bike like he grabbed way too much brakes, the front locked, or the pads just grabbed way too hard like race pads sometimes do. To me it looked like a one person accident. He went complete over the bike. The bike flipped over, he reached out to break his fall and he and the bike tumbled through turn 7 and off of the track.

I did spin the camera and snap what I could. Let me emphasize that I don't do this because I like crash shots. I would be fine with never getting crashes, but I know myself what it's like to crash and wonder what happened. So I did catch a few and they are sorted under Scott's number.
http://www.sliderphoto.com/bin/photos.asp?Racer=891&Event=071903

The other rider did come in later, he decided to go wide and avoid hitting your husband.

You're welcome to call me on my cell today (262) 719-0412 if there is any additional info I might be able to give. I wish your husband a speedy recovery, I've met him on several occasions and seems like a great guy! Let me know if there's anything I can do!

SliderPhoto

MightyDuc Racing

Man...tell him the whole MightyDuc Racing Team wishes him well and we're glad he's okay.  Looks like it was a scary crash.  Sounds a lot like my buddy's crash last year that happened due to a warped brake rotor.  That's what I'd check first if I were him.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

K3 Chris Onwiler

Don't know if this will help, but I had the same accident earlier this year.  I tried to go under another bike at the kink, didn't make it, and hit the rumble strip.  By the time the tires were on the ground again, I was way late on the brakes.  I did a stoppie, then my friend Eddie turned in right across the front of me.  I squeezed the brake a little harder and went over the top.  Although I had no serious injury, that is ONE HARD WAY TO GET OFF!  I'm still sore several months later.  Vanson leather, Suomey Helmet and a Spidi Air Back protector saved my bacon.  All worth the money.
                Tell your husband good luck!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dawn

OK Scott:

We need an update.  How are you feeling today?

Dawn   :)

skara

i'm feeling better every day still sore and can hardly move around (you don't reallize how much you use your shoulders until you can't ) i have to go back to the doctors friday to see if i need surgery on my thumb other than that time will heal the rest   I really appreicate everyone's concern and hope to see you at  the next bhf so i can thank you in person ( i wont be riding so i'll have time )
                                                 thanks    scott