News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

HEY CCS - what's with this "3rd call" TOTAL BS?!?

Started by OmniGLH, July 19, 2003, 07:28:24 PM

OmniGLH

Alright... something SERIOUSLY needs to be done about all this "3rd call" BS that's going on (at least with the MW region.)

The racers b*tched about it at MAM at the Sunday morning riders meeting.  Nothing was done.  Thinking maybe it was a MAM thing, we dealt with it.

Today at BHF - SAME DEAL.

Waiting for Expert GTU to start.  3rd call was given, what, FIVE TIMES?  The announcer is calling out "THIRD CALL.. THIRD AND FINAL CALL... YOU SHOULD BE HEADING DOWN TO PIT-ON RIGHT NOW!!!"  Meanwhile, the race prior to this hadn't even FINISHED yet... riders were still racing down the front straight!!!

I counted OVER TEN MINUTES passed between the first time the announcer called out 3rd call, and the time the 5 board was actually raised.  And it's not like he mistakenly called for third call - over that 10+ minute period, he must've made "3rd call" at least 5 times.

I don't know what the intent is... if you're trying to speed the schedule up by getting all the racers down early... but we're NOT BUYING IT.  You pull this crap, and now you've got racers, sitting in leather suits, on a hot bike, on a hot sunny day, waiting around for freakin TEN MINTUES+ to go on the track.  Tires get cold, riders get fatigued and dehydrated.

Please, PLEASE... don't call 3rd call anymore until you MEAN IT!
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Nate R

Agreed. They starting NOTICEABLY pulling this at the last BHF. I was really frustrated, and sweaty, sitting there for a while.

At the next BHF, I won't have a fan anymore, and I don't want my bike roasting, or having to get shut down while I roast because they called third call really early.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

pitbtch#1

hey guys i am a corner worker and the reason he gives 3rd call like that is cause he dont no if we have need for a crash truck.  Another reason is us corner workers might need a little break to use the bathroom.  And maybe if u guys are going to complain about it u should possibly talk to kevin elliot even though he says things that are wrong.  I personally think that kevin shouldnt be the big guy in charge and that the rule book dont really mean anything cause kevin elliot already broke it enough this year

Nate R

Crash truck? So if you do need one, why does he still call it REAL early? If you DON'T, then he shoudl call it on time. If he called it on time, and then had to call again because of the crash truck, that's one thing, but what's happening now is not like that.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super_KC124

Last year if you heard 3rd call, you'd better get your butt to pit out. (the way it should be) This year its a good signal to plug your tire warmers in and put your leathers on. >:(

TreyBone

What your saying pitbtch makes no sense. What does you getting a drink break or a crash truck got to do with an announcer giving a 3rd call on a radio. If he knows cornerworkers are getting a break or a crash truck goes, then he can make 3rd call accordingly. You have no argument. Here in the MA and SE the announcer will tell you in advance if a break or truck in out and hold 2nd call. Then he gives 3rd call appropriatly. :P

bmfgsxr

QuoteWhat your saying pitbtch makes no sense. What does you getting a drink break or a crash truck got to do with an announcer giving a 3rd call on a radio. If he knows cornerworkers are getting a break or a crash truck goes, then he can make 3rd call accordingly. You have no argument. Here in the MA and SE the announcer will tell you in advance if a break or truck in out and hold 2nd call. Then he gives 3rd call appropriatly. :P

exactly.

smoke

I'm a cornerworker and racer and that crash truck thing was total BS....

The CCS rule book gives guide lines on when the 1, 2,  &  3rd call should be made.

If there is a brake , or bike pick up needed its a corrdinated effort.  the calls are delayed not repeated over and over. ( mid alt ( summt point))

pmoravek

uummmm............... ::)   most of the time.

Not to complain, but this last weekend at Summit found a couple of us waiting on the hot pit while the crash truck went and did it's thing.  
For the most part the announcer does a real good job of communicating to the riders and letting us know if the CW's (God bless 'em) need some water or if the ambulance is out picking someone up.
It's all about communication and if you have told hold at second call because someone has been abusive to their toys, then let the riders know.
If you do the calls correctly and somebody gets to the grid late and misses their race. They've got nobody to blame but themselves.

My $.02

OmniGLH

Yes, I understand there may be delays when the crash truck is still out.  Earlier this year, they would announce it, "Looks like the crash truck is still out there, gonna be a few minute delay..."  and they would consequently delay 3rd call.

At MAM, they were calling 3rd call, and the crash truck was still ON IT'S WAY to the crash.

Yesterday, and again today, was similar BS.  3rd call no longer means "You'd better get your arse to the pre-grid."  Now it means "You should think about taking that last drink of water, and start to put your leathers on."  It's f-ing ridiculous.  

Now, fortunately for US, we were parked such that we had a little system going.  One person stands where they can see the 5 board come out... when it does, they signal to the rest of us.. and THEN the warmers come off, the bike is started, and off the rider goes.  Those that were not pitted where the 5 board was viewable, got stuck sitting in pre-grid for 10-15 minutes.  At one point today, it was so bad, that riders LEFT pre-grid and went BACK to their pits, because they were waiting so long.

CCS, you really need to get on the ball with this crap...
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

EX#996

There was a new announcer at MAM and a new one at BHF. When Grif announces, it's not bad because he at least keeps and eye on what's going on and listens to the radio.  

Race 10 today.....  No first call, two second calls and then a third call.  No information as to what was going on...  We were concerned that we were going to miss the race because all bikes were off the track.  They did not announce any calls until I went up the the grid marshal and asked what was going on.

Dawn   :-/
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Roach

That's ok ... one time at Summit they were calling 3rd call for the 125GP race ... and the grid wasn't posted yet.

We were all sitting on our bikes up by where they post the grids contemplating if the whole two-stroke thing had confused them, and they wanted us all to line up on the front row MX style  ::)

- Roach