News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SS Legality Question: Triples?

Started by Nate R, July 19, 2003, 12:57:42 AM

Nate R

OK, the rules for SS state:

"Original equipment wheels, brake calipers, forks, frame, engine, fuel induction system and swingarm must be used."

To me this means that modding or replacing the triples is OK in SS. Anyone that can confirm this? Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on it?

I'm getting rid of the key ignition on my SV, (replacing with toggles on teh dash)  and I'm looking at cutting off the part of the triple that held the ignition in place to give me a better view of the dash, but I want to make sure this is legal for SS.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

EX#996

Oooo.....

Good question Nate.  Ask Larry at tech because if your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in Super Sport.  He's the one that could say yea or nea.

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super_KC124

I thought you were planning on runnig an H2. Super Dave? :-*

Super Dave

Triple, yes.  H1, not an H2.  Can't do anything with an H2 in AHRMA.

Nate, good question.  I think the spirit is to retain the triple clamps, but the changes you have would probably be no problem.  I'd try and get a hold of Kevin Elliott.  

Real good question.  You can take off the key switch.
Super Dave

Nate R

Well, this past weekend, I saw that Ed Key's SS bike has different triples all together. I think I'll be fine cutting the extra piece off then.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Super_KC124

QuoteTriple, yes.  H1, not an H2.  Can't do anything with an H2 in AHRMA.

I think your just scared. ;D

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteI think your just scared. ;D

Awww...C'mon...Leave S. Dave alone

Maybe he's just not man enough to run an H2

;D

Super Dave

QuoteAwww...C'mon...Leave S. Dave alone

Maybe he's just not man enough to run an H2

;D

Ha, Ha, spare me.  I was trying to round up a TZ750 for the races in Florida in Feb.  Just didn't happen.

Ed's Thunderbike has Attack triple clamps.  I don't think it's his Supersport bike.  Those triples have different offsets so that one can change the trail so that when the bike is used with a bigger rear wheel (larger diameter, different geometry) the proper set up can be maintained.
Super Dave

Nate R

QuoteHa, Ha, spare me.  I was trying to round up a TZ750 for the races in Florida in Feb.  Just didn't happen.

Ed's Thunderbike has Attack triple clamps.  I don't think it's his Supersport bike.  Those triples have different offsets so that one can change the trail so that when the bike is used with a bigger rear wheel (larger diameter, different geometry) the proper set up can be maintained.

Ummm, I'm 99% sure his SS bike has diff triples as well. I was talking to him about the SS bike, and that's the one I was looking at. I'll ask him later this week when I give him a call. Either way, he did confirm with me that he had checked with Kevin Elliot before he really build his SS bike, and Kevin Elliot said that whatever the rule book does NOT specifically cover is open.  Triples are OK for mods/replacement.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Super Dave

QuoteKevin Elliot said that whatever the rule book does NOT specifically cover is open.  Triples are OK for mods/replacement.

Yes, that is the case.  If it's not specifically covered, it's open.

CCS rules are pretty wide.
Super Dave

THE_D.O.C.

QuoteWell, this past weekend, I saw that Ed Key's SS bike has different triples all together. I think I'll be fine cutting the extra piece off then.

yet you can't use a k&n filter with a larger hole in it?

go figure.  ::)

CCS

There has to be some limit, we just chose the easiest which is to limit air intake on SuperSport.

The reason behind allowing aftermarket triple trees is the same as aftermarket bodywork. Aftermarket is much less expensive than stock, and we all know how important it is to save money in your racing budget. Unless of course you're Super Dave. ;D
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

THE_D.O.C.

::)

lesseeee, the argument before was stock "size" airfilters to reduce costs........ but a 500 dollar set of attack triples {which GREATLY effect chassis geometry} is ok?

tisk tisk. ::)

Nate R

But Ed only has Attack triples on his SB, I am fairly sure the triples on his SS bike are NOT Attack.

I like the rule system. It leaves some room so that a SS bike isn't TOTALLY uncompetitive with a lightly Superbike'd SV. I think it's an easier system to regulate, too.

Works for me.

Thanx for the response, Kevin.  :)
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Eddie#200

Quote::)

lesseeee, the argument before was stock "size" airfilters to reduce costs........ but a 500 dollar set of attack triples {which GREATLY effect chassis geometry} is ok?

tisk tisk. ::)

I won't say anything about Mag wheels... ;D

Super Dave

Quoteand we all know how important it is to save money in your racing budget. Unless of course you're Super Dave. ;D

LOL!

I'll put my tax forms up against just about everyone and loose.

Race Budget?  Isn't that kind of like Military Intelegence?
Super Dave