News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Any chance of a slight schedule change?

Started by StuartV666, June 18, 2002, 12:27:19 PM

StuartV666

The basic question:

This is regarding the next CCS round at Roebling and any other round that it might apply to.

Is there any chance of shifting some of the race order around for Sunday afternoon, so that there is more time between the Unlimited GP races and the first Supersport races?

Reason I'm asking: I race a supersport 600 bike. I run some classes that allow slicks and some Supersport classes. I like to run the Amateur Unlimited GP and the Middleweight Supersport race. But, with the schedule like it was this past weekend, that means I have to finish UGP, come in and have only the time it takes to run the Expert Unlimited GP race to change my wheels (from ones with slicks to ones with DOTs), fuel up the bike and get ready for the Am. MW SS race.

Looking at last weekend's schedule, it looks (to my ignorant eye) like if the UGP races were first after lunch, it shouldn't mess up anybody else too much. It seems quite common for Middleweights to run UGP. It doesn't seem so nearly so common for LightWeights or SuperSingles to run in Middleweight Supersport, so it seems like having their races right before the afternoon slate of Supersport races might not hurt them.

How about it? I don't want to screw over anybody else, but if it doesn't, it would sure be a big help to those of us who run MW and UGP and want to swap between slicks and DOT tires.

Thanks for your consideration.

- Stu

bfkidd

Run DOT's like the rest of us poor saps who don't have an unlimited budget.  ;)

CCS

Hello Stu,

The order of races has changed for the year starting with July events, (it is the 1/2 way point), but that only put the GP Singles/SuperSingles race between your MW Supersport and Unlimited GP. The order has been set to allow the breaks between the most common ride-ups, while it disadvantages some riders, on the whole it helps more than it hurts. We will evaluate the number of riders who ride up again at the end of the season before we finalize the 2003 order of events.

Good luck, and thanks for your support.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

StuartV666

That's great, Kevin! That one extra race in there will be a big help! Thanks!

- Stu

StuartV666

QuoteRun DOT's like the rest of us poor saps who don't have an unlimited budget.  ;)

Ha! Unlimited budget? What's that? ;-)

Seriously, though. Having an extra set of wheels is a cost-saver, in the long run. They can save you from having to take off tires that would make it through half the afternoon, just so you can put on tires that will go the distance. In other words, it makes it easier to really get your money's worth out of a set of tires before you replace them.

Oh, and slicks cost more up front, but last longer than DOTs, so they actually work out cheaper, too.

At least that's how I rationalized it to myself when I scored a 2nd set of wheels. Don't try to confuse me with any more facts. ;-)

- Stu

r6_philly

do you notice any difference in times? just curious (btw using slicks and DOT's)

Super Dave

Hey, Kevin...

Will that change apply across the board.  Same thing out here in the Midwest.  UL GP then MWSS.  Long day of waiting, then a quick hello and out.
Super Dave

StuartV666

Kevin,

I see that the schedule for Roebling, July 20-21 is now up. The schedule change is not exactly what I was expecting, based on your earlier post. Now, the Supersport races are first, and then UGP and the Superbike races are in the afternoon. But the same problem still exists. There is only one race between Am MW SS and Am Unl. GP.

I notice that the morning races have the Experts going first, followed by Amateurs. But then, for UGP, that order is reversed. So, Ex MW SS riders have 3 races to prepare for Unl. GP. If you swapped the order of Ex vs. Am. on the Unl. GP, then Ex. and Am. would each have two races between MW SS and Unl. GP.

Any chance? I'm definitely not trying to make a stink on this. Any consideration would be great. If us Amateurs can actually get more than just a one race break between the last SS race and the UGP race, that would really help to be able to change over to wheels with slicks.

Thanks for your time.

- Stu

StuartV666

Quotedo you notice any difference in times? just curious (btw using slicks and DOT's)

I just tried slicks for the first time last Fall, at Roebling. I ran 1:21s in my SS race on Sunday afternoon on D208s, then ran 1:19s in the SB race later that same day on Dunlop slicks.

From those times, one could correctly conclude that my improvement was not a result of having more traction. I wasn't using all the traction I had with the D208s. On an R6, I'd probably have to be running closer to 1:17.something to be really using all a D208 has. I think the main difference is that the front slick has a different profile than the 208 front. The slick is a 120/75-17. I think the main reason for my improvement that day was a more confidence-inspiring feel from the front because of the different tire shape.

- Stu