News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

can the transponders be wrong

Started by bmfgsxr, July 15, 2003, 02:05:59 PM

r6_philly

Quotewe tested the laptimer against a stop watch as well and was within .2 of a second so they are pretty close !!!!    not sure on the 2 beacon thing happening though ??  r6_philly what is your race number ???

I am 977 AM. Ran the MWGP, GTO, GTU, then got destroyed in GTU.

Brad,

I didn't have any crew members. My girl time me when she is there, so I don't have a laptimer. This time I couldn't get a time, and I was trying to ride differently because my lasting injuries, just wanted to know if I was faster with the changes I made, since I never led at summit prior. I would have been really happy if I was going faster even though I was hurt, because I had to look real close at how I ride (so it wont hurt so much when I go fast) and made dramastic changes.

sdiver68

transponders are big ego killers.

Some races, people tell me they are running X.  That's funny, because I was running X+2 and finished right behind them.

My favorite was at Gateway this year.  Transponders didn't work on Saturday, and all kinds of people were claiming some pretty fast lap times.  Come Sunday, with transponder times up, people were scrambling to find out where their 2-3 seconds went.

;D
MCRA Race School Instructor

r6_philly

I think people usually tell others the time that they THINK they can run. The add in the mistakes, badlucks, lappers and everything else to produce the 2-3 seconds slower "actual" time.

bweber

a stop watch will not match a transponder time unless the transponder pickup and the reference point the person with the stopwatch is using are exactly the same.  I would rather have my results based on transponders than manual scoring any raceweekend.  

bmfgsxr

Quotewe tested the laptimer against a stop watch as well and was within .2 of a second so they are pretty close !!!!    not sure on the 2 beacon thing happening though ??  r6_philly what is your race number ???

dave, when we ran the lap timer the next day im sure the second beacon was already removed. why else would pdg 's lap timer have a lap time of 2.8 in between every other lap? ??? a second beacon is the only answer. timmy didnt run any other 18's the whole weekend, and i dont believe you ran any 22's the whole weekend (besides what the lap timer says for that race) it would stand to reason that if everyone ran the times their laptimers said in that race that everyone would have run those very same times in a different race ???

im not trying to rob you guys of your times. afterall, it would mean i was running high 18's low 19's. but i ran mid 21's the rest of the weekend.

r6_philly

Quotea stop watch will not match a transponder time unless the transponder pickup and the reference point the person with the stopwatch is using are exactly the same.  I would rather have my results based on transponders than manual scoring any raceweekend.  

That is true that person may be faster in one section at a particular lap, and not fast the next lap and cause discrepencies between laptimer and stopwatch readouts. But the average laptime of all the times taken  should be very close.  It is usally not a good idea to base your ability to achieve a certain laptime on one lap. You may have ran a very fast section that cause you to look time in others after you pass the beacon. I guess thats why most beacons are placed on the straight. But it still a good idea to base your laptime ability on an average of multiple readouts.

Peanut

I didn't have any problems at summit last weekend.  My timer & the transponder were 1 to 2 tenths off, that's it.   I contribute that to the timer being on the front & the transponder on the back.  

Seemed to be ok all weekend.......

r6_philly

QuoteI didn't have any problems at summit last weekend.  My timer & the transponder were 1 to 2 tenths off, that's it.   I contribute that to the timer being on the front & the transponder on the back.  

Seemed to be ok all weekend.......

Man I was so pissed that you were leading those races on sunday (nothing personal man :D) cuz I would have been right there fighting with ya.

I have been getting great starts, and I knew I can fight up front after leading those laps in GTU (before the... errr... crash obviously). Man was I pissed that I wasn't out there.

davegsxrold929r

Quotedave, when we ran the lap timer the next day im sure the second beacon was already removed. why else would pdg 's lap timer have a lap time of 2.8 in between every other lap? ??? a second beacon is the only answer. timmy didnt run any other 18's the whole weekend, and i dont believe you ran any 22's the whole weekend (besides what the lap timer says for that race) it would stand to reason that if everyone ran the times their laptimers said in that race that everyone would have run those very same times in a different race ???

im not trying to rob you guys of your times. afterall, it would mean i was running high 18's low 19's. but i ran mid 21's the rest of the weekend.

i agree,. i am still happy with the 23's......  and yes if you add adam 2 times together you get what the sheets said !!!!  

Peanut

QuoteMan I was so pissed that you were leading those races on sunday (nothing personal man :D) cuz I would have been right there fighting with ya.

LOL  No offense taken! If the situation was reversed I'm sure I would feel the same way.  BTW..I still have never lead going into turns 1-5, I have just passed before the end of lap 1.  If I could launch a bike, I'd be dangerous!  (Not just a danger to the guys behind me!!  lol  ;D)

Frank_Angel

Quotea stop watch will not match a transponder time unless the transponder pickup and the reference point the person with the stopwatch is using are exactly the same.

Brian, hows that possible? If it takes n seconds for an object to complete a lap, that n is the same regardless of where the timing is started. Makes no difference. Two accurate timings from different reference points on the track for the same lap will yeild the same result (except for the first lap). If they didn't, then time travel is involved, and I think that's not allowed in the rule book. ;)

Manual timing will differ from transponders simply because it's manual and less likely to be accurate, i.e., you're relying on the hand-eye coordination of the timer, not an electronic device.

r6_philly

QuoteBrian, hows that possible? If it takes n seconds for an object to complete a lap, that n is the same regardless of where the timing is started. Makes no difference. Two accurate timings from different reference points on the track for the same lap will yeild the same result (except for the first lap). If they didn't, then time travel is involved, and I think that's not allowed in the rule book. ;)

Manual timing will differ from transponders simply because it's manual and less likely to be accurate, i.e., you're relying on the hand-eye coordination of the timer, not an electronic device.

Actually Frank, I spent a lot of time thinking about this, and it seems possible in the following scenario:

we have 3 time intervals, T1 T2 and T3. and the elec. timer starts before T1, and the hand timer starts before T3.

The rider did
T1- 20 sec. T2- 18 - T3- 22
T1- 21 sec T2- 19 T3 20
T1 - 22 T2 - 20 T3 - 18

Elec. Timer:
lap 1: 60sec
lap 2: 60 Sec
Lap 3: 60 sec

Hand timer:
Lap1: (partial, no read)
Lap2: 62 sec
Lap3: 62 Sec
Lap4:(Partial, no read)

So the electric timer would read average of 60 seconds per lap, and hand timer would read average of 62 seconds per lap.

We are not professionals, and difference in interval time does happen from lap to lap, especially in traffic, so the above scenario could and does happen some times.

The hand timer did not gain time, it was just happens that he/she did not get to measure the faster interval times,

And did that rider in above example go faster toward the end of the race? It seemed that he went faster in the last part of the track, but it hurted him in the front third, and that caused the timing discrepency.

Frank, it caught me initially with your reply, but the more you look into it, the more it make sense. It will acutally change how I feel about laptimes vs. performances. I will no longer trust time readings from a different area other than the front straight.