News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

can the transponders be wrong

Started by bmfgsxr, July 15, 2003, 02:05:59 PM

bmfgsxr

we are having a debate between a few of us. a couple guys i race with have laptimers that said a certain time. the ccs transponder had them about 2.8 seconds slower. one guys lap timer was reading a time of 1:22.xxx, then 2.81, then 1:22.xxx, 2.86, and so on and so forth. the other two guys didnt have these little 2.8 second intervals on their timers, but it doesnt seem like the ccs transponder could be off. its statoinary, and giving out a different signal than the laptimers. so can someone from ccs let me know if there is any way it could not be the laptimers...

thanks.

THE_D.O.C.

transponders always hurt people's feelings.

shows everyone is full of crap too.  ;D

Thingy

Your rider that was getting intervals of 1:22, then 2.8, etc was picking up two beacons at the track.  So, the lap timer was fooled into thinking that he did a 1:22 lap and then a 2.8 lap.  When in reality, he was taking 1:22 to travel most of the track, and then 2.8 seconds to travel the remainder of the track to the next beacon.  (A 1:24.8 lap time)

Your other timers probably did not register the second beacon because of how they are configured.  My My-Chron lap timer can be set up to not register a beacon until a minimum time.  Here is an example:  If I can do 1:15s at BHF, I will set up my laptimer to not register a beacon until 1:10 has gone by.  This way, when my timer starts counting on the front straight and sees another beacon in turn 3, it will ignore it instead of giving me two partial lap times.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

bmfgsxr

QuoteYour rider that was getting intervals of 1:22, then 2.8, etc was picking up two beacons at the track.  So, the lap timer was fooled into thinking that he did a 1:22 lap and then a 2.8 lap.  When in reality, he was taking 1:22 to travel most of the track, and then 2.8 seconds to travel the remainder of the track to the next beacon.  (A 1:24.8 lap time)

Your other timers probably did not register the second beacon because of how they are configured.  My My-Chron lap timer can be set up to not register a beacon until a minimum time.  Here is an example:  If I can do 1:15s at BHF, I will set up my laptimer to not register a beacon until 1:10 has gone by.  This way, when my timer starts counting on the front straight and sees another beacon in turn 3, it will ignore it instead of giving me two partial lap times.

that is exactly as i assumed. but the problem is. that the guy who was getting a lap of 2.8 had his set up for 3 seconds(to not read another beacon), and the other guys had theirs set up for 55 seconds, but they still had their lap timers reading about 2.8 seconds slower than the time sheets had. so that is why they cant believe that theirs were wrong. but i think it has to be something with a slightly different signal that was just enough to trigger it and slip by the minimum time set up to pick up the signal.. i believe that the lap timers were screwy... i cant see the transponders giving a false time.

pitbtch#1

i think the transponer are stupid cause my dad had a back to back race at mam and the second race he was the only person in the class and forgot to trade transponders on bikes and even no he was the only one in the class almost didnt get scored.  Whats the point of manual scorers to go along with the transponders if they not going to matter.

WebCrush

I was the one getting the 2.8 sec readings, but I had a min laptime set so it shouldn't have picked up anyway.

What really threw me off was that it was that CCS transponders were giving me slower laptimes in a race than in practice, which is just NOT the way I ride.

r6_philly

race 6 on Sat showed my best lap time was 1.23 on lap 1.

I started on first row, lead 4 laps, couldn't be the 8th fastest time on the sheet, because everyone else had the best time in their 2-6 laps, and would have passed me if they were going 4 seconds faster.

So I went to the scoring tower to get a print out of my times Sunday. They took my name and told me to wait til the end of the day to have it.

At the end of the day, they told me the file was corrupt and it wouldn't show the lap times.

I understand there are problems with new technologies, but I also program stuff, and it shouldn't be this hard to get it right, or they are getting ripped off.

I can't believe a print out where I got my best time on the first lap. So how much do you loose on the start? 2-3 seconds? That would mean I may have done a 1.19 on lap 2.

Now that is important, because I NEED to know. Especially that the bike is now in pieces and never going back together and I may not race agian til next year.....

I really wish I knew what I was doing leading that race... :p

THE_D.O.C.

::)

next time {if it's SOOO important} have a crewmember put a clock on you.

you couldn't give me kevin elliot's job.

EX#996

Quoteyou couldn't give me kevin elliot's job.

LOL!!!!

Me either, they only pay $2.50 an hour for babysitting.  J/K

Dawn   ;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

cabbage996

At Gateway I had a lap that was 5 hrs and 39 minutes long in my first practice session.  I also had a friend that is very slow out there who we were lapping run a 1:12 and I KNOW that was wrong.

ecumike

So far the transponders have been working fine for us.

My wife times me while I'm racing, and her fastest time clocked for me is usually within .5 seconds of what the transponder clocks my fastest time for that race is.

davegsxrold929r

we tested the laptimer against a stop watch as well and was within .2 of a second so they are pretty close !!!!    not sure on the 2 beacon thing happening though ??  r6_philly what is your race number ???