Is it Zaus or Chaus???

Started by MightyDuc Racing, July 13, 2003, 03:24:00 PM

MightyDuc Racing

Somebody please tell me which it is, cuz if it's pronounced Zaus, like they say on the WSBK telecasts, please teach these idiots on Speed to say it right...lol.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

EX#996

LOL!!!!

I noticed that too.  It took me a little while to make the connection as to whom they were talking about.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

FullMoonRacing

MightyDuc Racing

I knew who they were talking about, but it annoyed the piss outta me...lol.  Can't somebody make a quick phone call to Dreb? ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

EX#996

I must admit it was a little annoying, but half the time I tune the announcers out anyways.

The plus side to the Speed channel today..... LOTS of Motorcycle racing.   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Make's me happy!

Dawn   8)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

Hell yeah! 8)  Wish they woulda had the WSBK on earlier, but they had to get NASCRAP in there somewhere...lol.  New job back to sending me to bed early. ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

KeelerDucati03

its with a "Z" in the pronunciation - those idiots at Speed just showed how bush league they really are - I cringed every time they said it.... 3rd rate coverage by 3rd rate talent - why they cant strike a contract for the direct feed with the European analysts/announcers is beyond me - I love the fact that nobody mentioned how Mladin GOT SCHOOLED - made my weekend! DUCATI 1, 2, 3

TZDeSioux

You know what? I was watching some old World SS races and they were pronouncing his last name Chaos.

Eric Kelcher

been a while back but I heard an interview with him and he pronounces it Chaus. So our Speed guys actually got something right.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

MELK-MAN

Quotebeen a while back but I heard an interview with him and he pronounces it Chaus. So our Speed guys actually got something right.

thats what i heard too... "CHAOWSE".. not "zause"..the speed guys are on the ball. big discussion about it awhile back on "Greg's Garage"..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

GAMEDIC

Quotethats what i heard too... "CHAOWSE".. not "zause"..the speed guys are on the ball. big discussion about it awhile back on "Greg's Garage"..
I saw the same one..and they said it was from the man himself just so everyone would know how it was said

motomadness

I met Xaus as the Ducati Rev America event in Vegas a couple of years ago.  Since he is Spanish, as in from Spain,  the "X" is pronounced like "CH".  That's straight from Xaus.  So the Speed TV broadcaster had it right.  Matter of fact, it wasn't until after the DRA that they started pronouncing his name correctly.

Matter of fact, most of the Spanish we speak in the US is of a Mexican dialect.  South America and Spain have their own unique sounds for certain letters.  Anyone know what the "Z" in Spain does sound like?

hdpromos

They might have got the pronunciation right but Drebber still "blows"! I'd like to hear him say Szczensniak as they're in the same boat! :-*

HD

Frank_Angel

"Chaus" is correct.  http://www.studyspanish.com/pronunciation/letter_x.htm

But they're messing up Vincent's name a little bit, it's HasKOvets, not HasKOvich.

duc995@aol.com

There is no ZZZZzzz sound in Spanish! So Chaus is correct!

THE_D.O.C.

yo, it X-house in da hizzouse.

word.

KeelerDucati03

ok - great than someone contact WSBK and let their commentators who announce every race know this very salient point - I was watching the Fila Ducati rollout and the program announcer said it with a Z - the guys on WSBK say it with a Z - obviously a ton of people have heard it all year long and last year pronounced with a Z otherwise nobody would have noticed the Speed guys saying it - BTW - the Speed guys are still tools - Greg needs a different gig - I am sure he's talented but TWT is a waste - he's better in the field - that said he is still a very poor interviewer and offers very little in the way of insight during a race - Brian Drebber I like - he does a great job outside of Speed....

MightyDuc Racing

I stand corrected...but chaus sounds stupid. ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

TZDeSioux

Is it me or does Brian kinda look like Greg White?  ;D

Eddie#200

QuoteThere is no ZZZZzzz sound in Spanish! So Chaus is correct!

The dialect of Spanish in US being Mexican?  It could be since they are the majority of our Spanish speakers, I would guess.  Castilian Spanish (from Spain) is taught in the schools.  In Spain the "z" and "c" letters sound like "th" because a King of theirs had a lisp.  So not to embarass him everyone took on the lisp.  In South America, Mexico, etc the "z"  "c" are said like the sound of the letter "s".  

motomadness

A lisp huh?  Very insightful.  Thanks Eddie.

Eddie#200

QuoteA lisp huh?  Very insightful.  Thanks Eddie.

No...that would be pronounced "THANKTH"  ;D

tigerblade

The P.A. announcer at Laguna went over this.  They talked to Ruben and he said that it would be pronounced "chowss" in Spain, but that is had been kind of Americanized to "zowss".  Ruben is happy with either pronunciation.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Lowe119

What about Duhamel?   Du-ham-al? Du-hom-al? Du-ha-mel?   :P