SV triple clamp replacement

Started by tshort, July 10, 2003, 12:30:59 PM

tshort

Anyone ever replace the steering stem/triple clamps on their SV?

How did you get the ignition module off?  Looks like a pair of Torx screws holding it on, except there is a pin in the middle of the torx opening, which makes it impossible to get a standard torx bit into it.  Looks to me like another one of those "using the special tool, remove the special screws" deals.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tshort

Thanks Alexa.  And in case anyone else is wondering - it's a Torx T40 Tamperproof screw, per Nate - thanks, Nate!
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

ninelives59

find a snap on dealer,they will sell you the tool to remove them.They are called security torx bolts..
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S

Nate R

I got one for me and Tom to share. McMaster-Carr had it for $9.  :D    
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

mdr14

Tom, if you need help figuring out the wiring to remove the ignition switch, let me know.

Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

Nate R

Matt, I do, I dunno if Tom's getting rid of his, or just taking it off temp. I want to put in just toggle switches. I haven't studied the diagram REAL hard yet, but there's 3 circuits that get switched on by the ignition. One is lighting, so I know i can get rid of at least one. Dunno whether I'd need 2 toggles then, or just 1.   Do you have an SV wiring Diag? When you're back in town do you wanna take a look at one and talk about it?

BTW: What IS a Labrum? Dictionary.com didnt help. I assume its a ligament in the shoulder area?

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

unforgivenracing

That is called a "s-Torx head, and you can find the drivers for $3-4 bucks at a Hardware store.  Common size is a 3, and 6. ;D
QuoteAnyone ever replace the steering stem/triple clamps on their SV?

How did you get the ignition module off?  Looks like a pair of Torx screws holding it on, except there is a pin in the middle of the torx opening, which makes it impossible to get a standard torx bit into it.  Looks to me like another one of those "using the special tool, remove the special screws" deals.
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

lbk

If you want to bypass the ignition switch it is as follows.

Orange w/white & Black and white put 100ohm 1/2 watt resister between. Red + Orange with switch. The other two get put together. This is the explanation I have it's not very good I know. I will check it tonight and describe it a little better. Will also try to get some pictures posted so that it is even easier.

Nate R

thanx lbk! Ed Key gave me the info about the resistor, and I was able to do it like I wanted. No need for the pics for me.  :)
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

lbk

Ok I won't bother then, I just knew that explanation sucked and no one would be able to figure it out from that. But if you arleady got it, then I won't bother unless someone else asks.

Nate R

Also, I have the S-Torx bit for the ignition removal if anyone wants to borrow/buy it.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com