News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

O/T: Need a rear tire for my Tank

Started by Nate R, July 09, 2003, 12:13:25 AM

Nate R

I'm in need of a rear tire for my 81 Honda 750K. It needs a tubed tire. The rear rim is a 17 by 2.50. I want a tire that has some decent grip wet and dry, and will last a while. (At THE VERY Least, 7K)

I'm looking at the Metzler ME550, the Avon RoadRunner AM21, the Cheng-Shin Barracuda, the Continental TK17, the Kenda K657, and the Pirelli MT68. Dunno what profile I should get, though. Thinking 80 or 90? (Bike has a 19 inch front wheel, BTW)

Now, some of the tires boast 6 plies instead of 4, saying that this will keep heat down, and is built for more weight. This is a 560 lb bike, remember.

But the Pirelli has more rubber in the center of the rear to resist wear, which is an interesting point for me, as I'm not doing much corner carving, but mostly commuting.

The ME550 should last a WHILE, but costs the most. The Avons work on the ninja 250, but what about a heavy bike like this? The Continental, the Kenda and the Cheng Shin aren't the best tires out there, but they're inexpensive.

Any suggestions? Profile Suggestions? Experiences? (doesnt matter what bike)

Thanx!

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Jeff

cheng shin?  :o  you've got to be joking...

I wouldn't put them on a bicycle...

Buy a dunlop GT501
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

dwilson

I use Continental's on my 76 CB750.  I used Avon's once on my 72 Sportster and never again.  The front really liked to slide out, very embaressing.  When you change tires you should also change the tube and rim strip that covers the spoke ends.  There's no reason you can't do it yourself by the way, those rims are very strong.

Super Dave

I have Michelin Radial X90's mounted on my spoked rims for my H1 road racer.  Radials are very light.  The traction of a street radial will surpass a bias race tire.  

The 19" front will kill you though.  Your choices are limited.

As for the aspect ratio...  I would think you'd want to go taller to get the bike up off the ground for ground clearance, if you think you're gonna turn it at all.

And the rear rim is a 17 and not an 18?

Avon's are pretty good, but the contour of the tire sometimes drops off pretty quickly toward the edge.  Not bad for a vintage racing tire, but for a street tire...I don't know.

And watch out what you say about Cheng-Shin.  They produce Maxxis tires...they are hurting people on superetard tracks now and they do have that sport tire that has caught some people really off guard.
Super Dave

dwilson

I used Cheng-Shin tires when I road my 73 CB350-4 to school everyday.  They handled fine for a daily driver but wore down fast, like to the threads.  Ground clearance is an issue, I've often have mine low enough to scrape the crash bars.

Zac

We have Avons on my wife's (MZGirl) '72 Honda CL450 vintage racebike.  Running a 90/90-19 AM20 front and a 110/80-18 AM22 rear (both rims are 2.15" wide).  Once hot, these things stuck amazingly well, but with both of us running a few track day sessions, a sprint race, and a 40 minute team sprint race in a weekend, they are showing more wear than I would expect.  As long as the rubber doesn't go off to heat cycling, they should last another weekend or two.  That said, I have no idea how long they would last on the street.  Maybe they don't wear at all when kept cool, but hot they wear faster than I would want on a commuter bike.

I have Cheng Shins on my moped, and they work great - lots of burnouts (while lifting the luggage rack) and almost no wear!  ;D.

-z.

Super Dave

Have you tried the Dunlop Vintage tires on the CL?  I still think the Michelin Radials are vastly superior, but the Dunlops are really flat tires; they feel pretty good in a corner.

http://groups.msn.com/VisionsportsRidingSchools/racingwithsuperdave.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

Me on another CB750. ;D
Super Dave

Nate R

Jef4y: I would, but Dunlop doesn't make the 501 in a size that fits.

SD: Yes, it's a 17 rear. I just went out and double checked.

Sure Michelin Radials would be a better tire traction wise, but how long would they last? And the Cost! $$$  :o Also, I don't see a Michelin Radial that would fit my rims unless I used a front tire on the rear.

This brings up another question: Is it OK to put a tube in any tire and run it, even radials?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

Yes, it does work, tubes.  I have fronts on both the front and back of my H1.  Radials don't produce heat like bias tires do by just rotating.  That's why radial car tires obsoleted bias plys...longevity.

I'm outa here...see you at Laguna.  
Super Dave