Chain Brands/Types?

Started by tshort, July 07, 2003, 09:51:36 AM

tshort

I'm using a 520 EK X ring chain on my SV - would like to have a backup/replacement on hand.  LHP sells Regina chains in O-ring, Z-ring, and Racing/GPZ (whatever that means).  Anyone have any experience/comparisons between EK and Regina?  Recommendations?  

Thanks.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

spyderchick

Roger notice no difference between Regina chains on his bikes and other brands of chain. He never thought it was really worth the extra $$$. If what you're running now works, stick with it.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Thingy

I think the best chains are DID.  The VM and ERV2 are both excellent.  I have never had any problems with these chains.  Of course, you will pay more for it than a Regina...
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

EX#996

QuoteI think the best chains are DID.  

Tom:

Not that it matters, but Paul only uses DID also.  There must be a reason, but after a while of him explaining the difference in brands it's just ..... blah... blah...  blah....

Tell me what you need honey and I will get it ordered.

Dawn   ;) :D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

jp233

i've heard a few guys who point a nasty finger at Regina's since they tossed them off (mostly twins though, torqueyyyyy),

I have a DID ERV2 and its the shit. I highly recommend them....
Tactical Racing #233

tcchin

I would recommend DID ERV2s over just about anything else. I used a Regina ZRD at the Laguna national, and not only did it stretch considerably after only three on-track sessions, but it also required a special quad-staking tool in order to install the solid rivet link. (DID rivet links have hollow ends and use the standard Motion Pro flaring tool.) With the ERV2, stretch was almost non-existent, allowing chain replacement to be extended to three race weekends quite comfortably.

mdr14

The best 520 chain for the money is the RK 520 GXW XW Ring. It has 8800 foot pounds of tensile strength. I have found that this chain outlasts everything else I have tried. It is even good enough for my GSXR 1000 too.

PLus it is the most reasonably priced of the 520 race chains, also comes in gold for the pimps out there.
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

tcchin

We tried the GXW earlier this season on our SuperStock 750, and found that it wasn't quite as durable as the ERV2, nor was it quite as free-moving. And, when the GXW's time was up, it stretched a lot in a very short amount of time; the chain was actually dragging on the belly pan after one practice session! Also, replacement GXW master links are $15 each, instead of $3 for the ERV2. Of course, this is only an issue if you are constantly swapping gearing and need to use differnt-length chains to keep the tire off the swingarm.

In the end, the extra 10% in price for the ERV2 was more than offset by the 25% longer life and the additional confidence that the chain would last the entire race without unraveling.

Steviebee

QuoteWith the ERV2, stretch was almost non-existent, allowing chain replacement to be extended to three race weekends quite comfortably.

Chain replacement after 3 race weekends ??  Are you serious ? What are you racing ?

tcchin

2001 GSX-R750 in AMA SuperStock and Formula Xtreme, with the occasional WSMC or CCS weekend thrown in for fun.

I think three weekends is pushing it, compared with the two-chain weekends we used to get with the RK SMO's (?) we ran in 2001.

Thingy

Quote2001 GSX-R750 in AMA SuperStock and Formula Xtreme, with the occasional WSMC or CCS weekend thrown in for fun.

I think three weekends is pushing it, compared with the two-chain weekends we used to get with the RK SMO's (?) we ran in 2001.

Hey Tim, I have gone back and forth with you on a few different posts.  Are you doing the whole AMA Series?  If so, look me up at the Safety First Racing trailer at VIR and say Hi.  I race CCS, but am a pitb!tch for Safety First Racing that is doing the whole AMA series this year.  Later
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

tcchin

Uh, unfortunately, our paths may have crossed already when my rider and I came over to your pit to apologize for taking Jason out in T11 at Laguna. Of course, we hope that his recovery is going well. Also, that fracture in the 1000 frame was remarkable!