News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Not legal for Supersport class!

Started by Eddie#200, July 07, 2003, 09:35:31 AM

Eddie#200

QuoteNo kidding?  That DOES suck...

As for the rest of the topic... sure, rules are rules, if you want to protest over something as small as wheels, it's your right to do so.  But keep in mind, it could invoke some sort of protest war, he may come back at you when it's least convenient...

The only time I intend to protest is if something is blatantly wrong (i.e. 750 running in MW class, etc.)

I run a stock bike... I welcome all protests  ;D

OmniGLH

QuoteI run a stock bike... I welcome all protests  ;D

So do I (up until a week ago, I even had the stock exhaust can on my bike...)  But that's not the point.  Say you run a race, and take a win, early on in the race day.  Your bike is totally legal.  I am some rider who is pissed at you for being protested in the past.  So I protest you, claiming your bike is too fast, it must have illegal cams or pistons or something.  Now you are forced to either accept the DQ, or tear your bike down, right then and there.

If you choose to fight the protest... are you really going to want to stand there in 90 degree heat, missing other races of yours, to take your bike apart to fight a bogus protest?  Or are you just gonna saw "screw it" and take a DQ?

I don't know about you, but I bet most would just take the DQ.  I probably would, unless it was something easy to disprove.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Gumby647

QuoteThere is a diffrence.  His stock ones had the rains mounted.  There is a ridge on the Mags and no ridge on the Alu.  It was shown to me by parts counter guy yesterday.  They do look very similar.  It's why he was able to get away with it till now.

Actually you have it backwards. The spokes of the OEM wheels have a ridge and the Mg wheels don't.

Eddie#200

QuoteActually you have it backwards. The spokes of the OEM wheels have a ridge and the Mg wheels don't.

Oh yeah...something like that. ;)

TZDeSioux

Why have rules again?  ::)

Now I wonder those of you who think it's a waste of time to protest would protest if a person with illegal for your class parts beat you in the last race of season which was just enough to take the championship away from you... hmmm..  ::)

OmniGLH

QuoteWhy have rules again?  ::)

Now I wonder those of you who think it's a waste of time to protest would protest if a person with illegal for your class parts beat you in the last race of season which was just enough to take the championship away from you... hmmm..  ::)

Honestly, it would depend on whether or not I thought the illegal parts in question gave him a sizeable advantage over me.  Rims?  No, I wouldn't protest.  I'd be shocked if lightweight rims made the guy go .05 faster around a track.  
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

TZDeSioux

Jim.... don't you agree that breaking a rule is still breaking a rule regardless of how minor it is? Although I would never protest anything.. I still think everyone has the right to protest even a rule is broken that's all.

Nate R

Quotedon't you agree that breaking a rule is still breaking a rule regardless of how minor it is?
I agree.

If you're in a SS class with illegal wheels, and your beating me made a difference to me in points (next year) or kept me from contigency, I'm gonna protest. If wheels wouldn't make much difference, how come people buy alum sprockets, which make an even smaller difference?  I think wheels would make a change you could feel, which means it's a change big enough to make a difference.

If you're a rider out there slower than me, or if I don't think the wheels would've made a difference, I'm not gonna say a thing. But running something like illegal wheels, well, rules are rules. if Tom or Paul went out with illegal wheels, and did it repeatedly, I would say something....because I feel you have to respect for the rules. If we let it go here, where do we draw the line?

I know of someone who got a 3rd in LWSS, and was DQ'd because of a BMC filter. He was PISSED, but it's his responsibility to make sure the bike is legal.

I double and triple checked that my bike met the rules for SS. I wasn't sure about the subframe, and I called CCS to make sure I was clear on that. I never have to worry about it now.

Just my thoughts.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

TZ_Boy

Whoever decided to make it a rule thought it made a difference.  He has the bike listed as a 998.  They stopped calling it an SPS and started calling it an R with the 996.  I don't believe any Ducati comes with Magnesium wheel's even an R.  If the bike is an SPS or R then it is not street legal which would make it illegal for Supersport racing.  Look on top of the upper triple clamp for a small riveted plate that says 996R or 998R and what # it is.(i.e. 345 of 1000)
  Yes we are racing for fun but competitivness is what drive's most of us.  The guy is still going to beat you with aluminum wheel's, especially if you pi$$ him off.

Thingy

I don't think that you could piss him off.  He is a super nice guy.  He is just out there to have fun.  He is not in it for the championship.  

Since I am not involved in that class, I don't care.  Maybe I would feel differently if I were the one finishing behind him.  But, I doubt it.  It didn't bother me too much getting smoked last year by all of the other people out there with bikes that had significant illegal advantages.

However, I still do understand that rules are there for a reason...
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!